It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Abnormal EMG/cold hands question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2006, 06:16 AM   #1
    looksee1
    (female)

looksee1 HB User
    Abnormal EMG/cold hands question

So, I went for an EMG, and the (very young) physiatrist who peformed it cheerfully said, "well, you failed the (hands portion) of it, but I think that's because your hands are cold. Don't worry about it. You passed the rest of the exam. I think your results are normal."

He was originally going to warm my hands under water, but then said, "never mind, this is good enough."

Does the temperature of your hands effect your EMG, and has anyone else had this experience? It certainly doesn't give me any confidence in the results.

Thanks all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User
    Re: Abnormal EMG/cold hands question

I do not know the answer to your question. But what I can tell you is when I had an EMG/NVC the neurologist thought my feet were cold so before testing me he used a warm towel to warm them up. FYI.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:00 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Abnormal EMG/cold hands question

I do believe it does have some sort of effect on the results,but i am not sure just why that is.i know before my very first emg,the tech grabbed both of my hands(my hands and feet are always cold) and brought me straight to the sink and ran hot/warm water over them for a few minutes then wrapped them in a towel which she had me keep on til right before the test.sooo,i am thinkin that there IS some sort of issue there,but like i said,i am not too sure as to why.If the rest of your test came out okay,chances are that the cold hands thing may be why,unless you are having problems with your hands or fingers in some way?if so,it wouldn't hurt(well maybe a little) to have that test redone with warm hands.just a suggestion.Marcia

Closed Thread