It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Recovery Process

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2006, 06:48 AM   #1
    can98
    (male)

can98 HB User
    Talking Recovery Process

I am post 6 months surgery Posterior cervical partial laminectomy. Cervical spondylotic myelopathy Sever spinal canal stenosis C3-C6 Bilateral open door laminoplasty C3-C6 with C5-C6 forminotomy. Now for what has happened since. Could not get out of a chair, nor walk. But motivated. Today 6 months later I Leg Press 100#, Butteryfly 90# per arm, dumb bell 20#. Still numbness in my hands last 3 fingers, my gate is not right yet I can walk but like Herman Munster because there feels like a belt aroung my waist. Some tingling in my feet.

I also do Acupunture for my hands and that really is helping me (not for everyone) I also have disc problems in my lower back but go through traction once a week. That also helps a great deal. The process is slow very slow. The biggest problem I have is I have take a fall twice and that scared me to the point I did not want to do anything just scared. Well hope someone finds this beneficial I will keep you posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User
    Re: Recovery Process

Hang in there - you are doing great! Thanks for posting!

Short version - I'm 14 m post C4-C7 laminectomy, still have gait issues, but minimal numbness/tremor issues - some of it comes and goes. I swim, walk, Curves (woman's exercise class), leg weights and stretching. I recently started taking baclofen for muscle spasticity issue with the gait.

I get a scarial-cranial massage every 2-3 weeks - don't know if it helps, but...

hope you continue to improve.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
    Nennie
    (female)

Nennie HB User

Great news Can98! Hope you continue to improve. I am 4 months post op posterior laminectomy C-5 C-6 for spinal stenosis and myelomalacia. I also have congenital spine deformity. Were any of your problems post-op? I only had pain, clumsiness, dizziness and a few other minor symptoms before my surgery but afterward I had weakness, numbness and a feeling in my right arm and hand like it's swollen, sort of thick feeling, also weakness in right leg, and loss of temperature and pain sensations in my left leg. Walked into the hospital, came home on a walker. NS says it was from the great increase in blood flow to my spinal cord. Things are slowly getting better. Getting some feeling back and walking without my cane now. I, like you, have fallen a couple of times because my right knee just buckles, sometimes even if I'm standing still. Sometimes I feel like I should still be using my cane. Hang in there. Knowing how much you have improved really is an encouragement to me. Hope you have a great day!!!
    Nennie

Congenital Spine deformity
    Spinal Stenosis, Myelomalacia dx'd 6-29-06
    Posterior Cervical Laminectomy C-5 C-6 7-12-06 No hardware installed

Old 11-06-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
    can98
    (male)

can98 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Recovery Process

Sunshine, Nennie thanks for sharing your info. Recovery is hard work and even on bad days you can not give up. Especially when you are older. Nennie like you I walked into the hospital and rolled out in a wheel chair very frustrating even to the point of (why the hell did I have this surgery, what a mistake) One point I want to make is be very careful to not overextend yourself cause that will cause you to fall behind. Take care and I will keep you posted on my status

Old 11-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
    kim55119
    (female)

kim55119 HB User

I am having a C3-C7 laminaplasty and foramintomy on Thursday morning. I think I'm finally at peace with getting it done. Am 47 and looking forward to feeling good again, although I've had symptoms for so long they seem normal. My neurologist laughs because he tells me I have way to high a pain tolerance and people really don't feel like this everyday! I'm trying to find humor and patience. I do for everyone..and enjoy it. I now have to rely on hubby, kids, friends, etc. and it will be hard, but I wil do it. This whole surgery seems to be transforming my thinking and life, etc. (I'm 47, married, work full time, etc.) So, when I'm able to get back on, I'll let ya know how it went for me.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
    kim55119
    (female)

kim55119 HB User
    Angry almost 6 weeks post op

Hi all,
    I see my surgeon on Friday, 12-15-06, (laminoplasty at C2-C7 plus a bit at T-1, My 5-6 was the worst.) for 6 week post-op. It has been miserable. I've been so nauseaus from the meds. I know this has hampered my recovery. My left arm is worse, but they said it may be for a few months. Luckily, I don't have to go back to work until Jan 8th. It seems like this has been going on for years. I've been so discouraged. But I'm trying to stay as positive as I can. I am doing home ot for my arm and hand. I did go for a short walk the past few days...that felt good, but really knocked me out. I was lifting weights, etc. before the surgery and feel like I've lost all that hard work (and it was hard because I'm not much of an execiser.) I have been walking in my house and doing mini-shoulder rolls, etc.

I swear though, if anyone said I would need this again, I wouldn't do it. Maybe I'll feel differently in a few weeks. I'll let ya know.

Kim

Old 12-10-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User

Hello Kim
    It is way too early to get discouraged - but I know what you mean, I've had a couple of ACDFs and may be facing another.

When you see your Dr, talk about what kinds and amounts of exercise you should be getting - maybe ask about physical therapy? I only went for PT for a couple of sessions, and it was more like training so I would know the proper way to do the exercises. Also talk about the meds, and see if there are other alternatives if you are having trouble tolerating what you are taking.

I found in my case it has taken months to see all the improvement, but I'm a lot better off than if I had not had the surgery. So hang in there, you will still likely see the improvements you are hoping for.
    Best luck
    Bob

Old 12-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #8
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User
    Re: almost 6 weeks post op

Kim - sorry to hear you aren't feeling better. Check on the meds - I used pain med for less than a week after my laminectomy.

Ask about PT - BUT when you find a PT make certain that they have worked with posterior neck surgeries - try to find someone trained in MacKenzie techniques -- my first PT was clueless about how to help me recover and yes, a lot of PT should be teaching you the proper exercises for you to continue on your own. Walking is good too!! My current routine includes swimming, treadmill, weights and stretching - but my surgery was 9/05.

Hope you continue to improve - 6 weeks is still early - just "out of the fog"

-Gloria

Old 12-11-2006, 07:40 PM   #9
    PearlDoves
    Veteran
    (female)

PearlDoves HB User

You may want to ask about switching to a different pain med, if you are that sick from them tell your doc, he could possibily have you try something else to see if that's better for you. Good Luck to you and God Bless!

Old 12-14-2006, 10:02 PM   #10
    can98
    (male)

can98 HB User
    Smile Re: Recovery Process

Kim I can understand completely. I ran 2-4 miles everyday spent most of my life doing what I wanted. Now I am limited on what I can do. I said the same thing if i had it to do over NO WAY. I am still unable to do a lot of things BUT REALLY BIG BUT, I am improving everyday so I don't give up. Now I keep kicking myself as I do not see the improvement, but everyone I talk to people @ the Gym, Spa and Work, they tell me you are improving this and that, but I do not see it. So I tell you rely on your family and friends as to how you are recovering. Remember before the surgery you seen yourself and think that is how you should be after the surgery. By the way I am 8 months post op. I go to the GYM 2 times a week and the SPA 3 times a week I do acupunture 1 time a week. Keep the faith

Old 12-17-2006, 08:30 PM   #11
    kim55119
    (female)

kim55119 HB User

Had my 6 week post op with my surgeon. (Even though it isn't 6 weeks for another 5 days.) She is pleased with how the surgery went however when I question her on why my left arm is numb and tingly and sometimes hurts...and it was this way a bit before surgery but not this bad...she won't concede it could be from the surgery..that she thinks it is now carpal tunnel. She has me on predisone for 6 days to see if it will settle down. Talk about discouraged.

It's been a long 6 weeks. I was blessed with some good days last week...where I even got out for a few walks. Unfortunately, Sat night got hit again with severe nausea and spent Sunday pretty much sleeping and pukey feeling. The funny thing about nausea, you can't throw up. Add this to severe constipation (caused by the drugs) and it makes for some pretty miserable hours. But I keep looking at each new day as a good day and hope that it is so.

Good news is that this Friday...I can take my collar off at bedtime. This is really my best Christmas present. I've had this thing on 24/7 for 6 weeks and to be able to cuddle with my pillow...will be heavenly. I will then be weaning off it for the next two weeks. I start physical therapy when I am done. I've also started the process of weaning off the oxycontin and oxycondone (the two drugs making me horribly nauseous) so this will be a huge cause for celebration. I hope to be off most of them by mid-January. Honestly, I can't imagine wanting to take these drugs for fun. Guess I wouldn't make a good drug addict.

I'm not feeling particularly thankful for stuff at the moment....mostly want to get to tomorrow and hope for no nausea. But, in my moments of feeling ok...I am thankful for my friends, family and co-workers.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:48 AM   #12
    can98
    (male)

can98 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Recovery Process

The pain could be from the compression of the cord. Now that the compression has been released there is blood flowing where it did not before. I hope you understand what I mean here there could have been pain but without the flow of blood it limits your feelings.

But the most important thing is not to give up and keep smiling there are going to be days tha just want to nsay the heck with it be patient time heals all. I alost quit my job for a bad day.
    I have done accupunture, massages, thi chi, reflexology, spa gym. But I keep on plugging away. This is what I do, on a bad day.
    Wow today sucked so that means tommorrow will be better

Old 12-29-2006, 07:43 PM   #13
    kim55119
    (female)

kim55119 HB User
    Talking Re: Recovery Process

Well, I'm now 7 weeks post-op. And I finally see light at the end of the tunnel. My collar is off, except for in car, and I start PT next week. My numbness in arm is getting better. I never realized that heads were so heavy! For a few weeks there I feel like I lost me. Now I feel me coming back. Luckily I don't have to go back to work until Feb 1st...so I should be rarin' to go by then.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #14
    rickfm
    (male)

rickfm HB User

I am 50 yr old male who had c3-c7 laminectomy with fusion back on Nov 10. I guess my surgeon is more conservative than others. I had neck brace on for more than three months which was a little bothersome but in the grand scheme of things not a big deal. Got it off this past thursday and doing great. Looking back it was three phases of recovery, 1) 5 weeks of just recovering, sleeping and not feeling like doing much but walking some amount every day. 2) 4 weeks of increasing stamina, walking every day for about an hour 3) 4 weeks of being ready to take the brace off and getting stronger every day. Now have PT twice a week for 6 weeks but exercising (indoor rowing and stationary bike) more and more each day. I was a fan of indoor rowing before the surgery. I think it is great exercise to recover from this type of surgery- works the unused muscles.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #15
    bstinch
    (male)

bstinch HB User

you are not alone brother. i was a work out freak before a serious car wreck , then an acdf surgery and partial paralysis. i have that "belt"n feeling around my mid section. also have brown sequard syndrome on left side of body, and maybe crps overall....you are one of the few i have found with the belt feeling...hang in there, bryan

Closed Thread