It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Post-surgery meds?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2006, 05:12 AM   #1
    pleasestop
    (female)

pleasestop HB User
    Post-surgery meds?

I am having ACDF surgery on Tuesday and am going to be using my own bone. I am currently taking oxcycontin (20 mg 2x day) and percacet for BT. My script runs out Wed and my PCP isn't renewing it, he wants to let the NS take over my pain meds. What did your surgeon send you home with for pain? Also, I'll be staying overnight in the hospital and going home later on Wednesday, my husband is going back to work Thursday, he is wanting to know if I'll be OK home alone.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
    NYD
    (male)

NYD HB User
    Re: Post-surgery meds?

I was given a Morphine pump (IV) in the hospital. I coud give myself as much (up to a certain amount) as needed. Seeing you are using your own bone. (I used mine too) I would be surprised if they did not match or up your Oxycontin and Perc's. I would caution you. I had beenin pain for a long time on Oxycontin. To have this stuff work you need to keep upping the dose. DON"T! I am know free of pain, but addicted to Oxy. It is a nightmare to get off. Mind you I am taking 10x the amount you are. I once was 20mg x2, but it was not 6 years until I had surgery. You should be fine. use them throughout your recovery and then ween back to 10's and then just perc's.

On a better not. I am 12 weeks post op and back to normal. My hip did not hurt as much as I was told it would. Ask the surgeon if he will "pack" your hip area with lots of local, and you'll be fine. My neck hurt for a few weeks and then the light switched and I felt great. Jus't take it easy.

It is going to be tough alone on Thursday. Your hip will give you some issues walking. I would find someone to be with you for the first few days. By the following Monday your hubby should be able to leave you alone.

Just take it easy. find a comfy position to lay down, and kick back!

Good luck.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
    TINCAN
    (male)

TINCAN HB User
    Re: Post-surgery meds?

Hello Pleasestop
    I just had a ACDF using my own bone. I had it on the 24th of Oct.. I was sent home with Loritab 7.5 (the generic brand) and Zanoflex 40 mg for muscle spasms. This was what my Pain Management doc had me on before the surgery. As to being left alone I would advise against it. This surgery was the 4th spine surgery I have had. I had 3 lumbar and 1 cervical. I too thought that I could be left alone. My wife decided to take the rest of the week off and boy was I glad she did. My hip hurt pretty bad. I had to have help to get in and out of bed. I have to admit this did not hurt as bad as my lumber fusion. The only thing is the sore throat and the feeling that you have a golf ball in your throat sometimes. It has been coming up on three weeks and I am feeling better everyday. I am still taking my pain meds. I was taking the same meds before because of fbss. What is weird is would'nt this be wild if when they operated on my neck and because they took the pressure off of my spinal cord that the pain because of my failed lower back surgeries eased up some. Well I hope you have a great recovery. I will be praying for you. I hope you have a blessed evening.
    TINCAN
    LAMINECTOMY L5-S1
    DISCTECTOMY L5-S1
    FUSION L5-S1 WITH HARDWARE
    FBSS
    BONE SPURS
    MEGA SCAR TISSUE
    DDD UP TO THORASIC AREA AND CERVICAL AREA
    DISK BULGES @ C3-4, C4-5,T3-4,T4-5
    ACDF C5-6, C6-7
    STENOSIS
    SPONDYLIOSIS