It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• need tips and advice on a pinched nerve thx!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
    remotecontrol
    (male)

remotecontrol HB User
    need tips and advice on a pinched nerve thx!

Hello everyone. I found these boards via google..
    10/22/06 I went to the emergency room at the hospital for pain in my shoulder.
    Five views or the cervical spine were obtained The spine is straightened in keeping with muscle spasm.Degenerative changes affect the bodies of c4/c5/c6 and c7. The disc space at c5/6is narrowed. There is a mild encroachment affecting the right intravertebral foramina at c4/5 and c5/6 and c6/7 on the left.
    conclusions:findings findings in keeping with muscle spasm,degenerative change and disc disease.
    shortly after i went to my family doctor and he put me on some pain relievers and muscle relaxers..I also went through a 7 day steroid pack.
    My neck is somewhat sore and i have to sleep strait on my back. I cannot sleep on my side cause i get pain in my left shoulder blade.. My forearm is very week now and i have numbness in my thumb and first finger...Also i have lots of pain radiating down my arm.. Actually i get alot of pain in my arm from just standing around at a relaxed position.
    my only good place to be is in my recliner chair with my left arm on the arm rest..
    I did not have insurance at this time but did sign up and will be covered dec.1st...and pre existing conditions will be covered.
    my doctor did send me to a chiropracter and after two visits they said that they wern't sure if they could help me cause the stims or electric shock treatments on my neck were putting me in discomfort. They said pretty much that that is what they do lol

I just got my perscription for a mri c-spine neck and left arm..
    well if you have read this far maybe you will read alittle further and respond.

I am like a fish out of water in this area and am wundering what may happen to me Sorry my spelling is terrible....I have 4 teanage kids and lots of work to do but i am in my chair dealing with this pain.
    This has been like this for almost a month now for me and i might not have the patients to wait till dec 1st to get this mri. (thats when my insurance kicks in. actually since my symptoms are stable and not gettin better... I do not want to make them worse...Now i am 48 years old. I work in construction. thx dave

Last edited by remotecontrol; 11-13-2006 at 07:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: need tips and advice on a pinched nerve thx!

i am really glad you are getting that MRI,honestly,i was just going to very highly reccomend that you get one done.the problem with having only X ray is that you just cannot see whats really going on within the vertebrae and the actual cord.i was going to tell you too to not have any actual adjustments done on your neck until AFTER you know whats up within the column itself.you just do not know for sure what may possibly be even pinching or compressing your spinal cord,any adjustments that may be done on someone in this position could really be disasterous for the patient.

it does appear from just the x ray that you do have some issues that need attention but you will have to wait til you obtain that MRI to really know where you stand here.just be very very careful about letting anyone do anything to your c spine.people have become paralyzed from these adjustments because they simply didn't know what the heck was really going on inside their cords.please let me know what the MRI states when you get it,K?good luck,Marcia

Old 11-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
    remotecontrol
    (male)

remotecontrol HB User

Hi and thx Marcia, I will on that.. normally i heal pretty good. this all started from out of the blue for me.. No accidents or any some such. its odd that i can still work some. not to hard like half day light duty around the house, and with the meds its not to bad...I really would like to get off these pills...most of my pain comes from sitting at my desk or dinnertable or just standing around
    i guess most people that post at these kinds of forums are in some sort of pain..i never really realized that people feels like this..
    when i first went to the doctor he wanted me to get a mri...i told em no insurance now and he quickly then changed it to a emg or eeg? i forget.. SOmething about needles in my arm and neck to see where the problem is?
    Thje chiropracter said i should get the mri and that eng test was not needed cause it was obvious where my pain is....so i cancelled that cause it seamed to me that i didnt need to spend a thousand dollars to find out what was obvious...not sure if i made the right decision. But i guess i can get that after the mri if they still want.. My anxiety is that my insurance doesnt start till dec1st...and most of what i have read is that it takes along time to heal anyway...I have allready goen almost a month as it is......I am thrifty but i dont want to be pennywize and pound foolish... we are paycheck to paycheck as it is and we are talking about a few thousand dollars.....ahh boy
    dave

Last edited by remotecontrol; 11-14-2006 at 12:11 PM.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I was only 36 when my symptoms came out of no where. I woke up one morning with intense pain radiating down my left arm and into my fingers. I was eventually referred to a Neurosurgeon who did the MRI, he said I could try Epidural Steroid Injections (ESI) first before considering surgery. He referred me to a pain management doctor and did the ESI. They worked GREAT for nearly 2 years and when the symptoms came back last Spring the MRI showed some spurring and the second attempt at ESI's did not work.

At that point I had a new primary care physician who highly recommended an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon who specialized in cervical care and he was great.

I had a C5-C7 ACDF (anterior cervical discectomy and fusion) in May of this year at age 39. I won't say it has been all roses and that I have no residual symptoms - I do have occasional pain but nowhere near what I had before the surgery.

I have a 'desk job' which, of course, puts me in a different position than someone with a physical job. But I will say the surgery was worth it to alleviate pain.

Karin

Old 11-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
    remotecontrol
    (male)

remotecontrol HB User

Hi There Karin! thx for the chat I really dont talk to many folks and being really ignorant of this subject means everything in this area is new.. After a month of this sore neck shoulder area and misarable pain in my arm with numbness in my thumb and first finger I am beginning to doubt that it will get better on its own...Doing my best to keep my spirits up...
    My shoulder doesnt much during the day.. I guess my pain in that area works the night shift
    I am so glad i have that recliner chair in the living room, for some reason my bed doesnt work for me anymore.
    from a laymens point of view i have no idea if the steriod shots are good for me..I dont want to mask any symptoms.;.I am hoping that something is inflamed in my neck and will get better on its own but after a month i am suprized that if that is the case it hasnt returned to normal. At this point i guess nothing can be done till till i get the mri...i sure hope nothing will get worse in the next two weeks...dec1st ill be insured..yay..
    i have never watched so many movies in my life lol.
    i have had both my rotator cuffs repaired by sugery...um gettin alittle queezy just thinkin about them workin on my neck. welp i guess i do another icepack on my shouldeer neck area as i have been tryan to do often.
    once again thx Karin for the chat

Last edited by remotecontrol; 11-15-2006 at 10:54 AM.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
    jenjen393
    (female)

jenjen393 HB User

Hi,
    I'd like to chime in....ditto on what Karin said.....I too, woke up one morning with the same symptoms.....arm/shoulder pain, numbness/tingling in one arm which eventually (over a month) spread to my entire body 24/7.
    An MRI showed severe spinal cord compression, and I had ACDF c5,6,7 surgery May 5th of this year.

It took a few months for me to recover fully (I'm pretty much a wimp!) and I was doing fine until I slipped and fell 5 days ago...now all my pre-op symptoms are back and I'm on the percocet again...I guess a call to the doctor is in order!

Let us know what the MRI says and keep in touch and most of all ENJOY that recliner!

Jennifer

Old 11-18-2006, 09:48 PM   #7
    remotecontrol
    (male)

remotecontrol HB User

Hey Jen..sorry to here that u had a backslide after getting better...,,,LOL on the recliner. YAY thank my luck we got that chair....Um in it way to much. nowhere else can i get relief . I will say that i have been more aware of my family life being in the living room all the time.
    I did get that mri yesterday... I have never really been a pill taker much. Having been on perscription drugs for a month has me conserned. A muscle relaxer once every 8 hours and a pain pill every 4 to 6 (more like 4) some kind of codine..the bottles are in the other room .. I do better with one or two syallable words. . I havent done any research on my pill taking but it seams for now its my only choice. ..

dav

Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
    remotecontrol
    (male)

remotecontrol HB User

impression
    1, multilevel disc degeneration, with small disk protrusion at c5-6 and
    diffuse disc bulging at c6-7 as detailed in the comments.
    2, a small to moderrate right paracentral disc protrusion at c3-4 slightly indents the right ventral cord.
    Clinical indication
    neck and left arm pain

Magentic Resonance imaging of the cervical spine was performed using sagittal
    t1,STIR and t2 weighted sequences. In addition, axial gradient echo and
    axial t2 fast spin echo images were obtained.

The cervical vertebral bodies are aligned anatomically and demonstrate normal
    height and marrow signal. There is a multi level disc decissation and mild disc
    space narrowing. There is a mild associated anterior endplate spurring from
    c3-4 through c5-6. The cervical spinal cord is grossly normal in appearance
    and the cerebellar tonsils are in normal position.

at c2-3 there is no significant disc bulge or herniation,although there is mild left uncovertebral hypertrophy.

at c3-4 there is a small to moderate right paracentral disc protrusion
    superimposed on minimal disc bulging, resulting in mild narrowing of the
    central canal, with minimal indentation of the right ventral cord.

at c4-5 there is no significant disc bulge or hernation.

at c5-6 there is a small broad- based central disc protrusion,with no
    significant narrowing of the central canal or neural foramina.

at c6-7 there is a disc bulging and mild endplate spurring, as well as mild
    uncovertebral hypertrophy resulting in mild narrowing of the central canal and
    neural foramina

thats my mri my doctor finally me a week and a half after the mri. He went over the report with me though all i remember is that he said being a paperhanger painted was the worst thing i could be with my condition..
    I still dont understand most of what i wrote above . All i know is that my symptoms have slightly improved but not much.
    now i can roll over on eith side for about 5 minutes before it hurts to much in my shoulder blade... My thump and first finger are still somewhat numb like with pins and needles (no change still the same numbness)... I am still sleeping in the recliner and during the day standing at ease or sitting at a table my forearm goes on fire...
    Its been six weeks and still pain in my neck area (not terrible) but my left arm is not in good shape...
    I am not seeing any1 now for this. My doctor said to get a emg or eeg i forget .. A pin test to see where the nerve is bad? for steroid shot...
    what do i have to look forward to folks.. how bad am for my future work.
    I hate it that my neck feels like glass thats going to break and my shoulder blade, left arm to my finger/thumb is in all kinds of pain at different times
    please reply if u are in the know thx
    dav

Old 12-01-2006, 09:51 PM   #9
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

Hi Dave,

Please keep in mind that people who rupture a disc and then heal merrily on their way probably are not spending much time on these boards. That said, I had a large protrusion at C6-7 15 months ago; no surgery to date. After 5 months from diagnosis, my pain increased (neck/arm) after slight improvement initially and loads of neurological symptoms have developed - too numerous to list - again, my original rupture was over 15 months ago...I totally relate to the recliner vs. the bed etc. etc. I have posted here and under Brain/Nervous System Disorders if you want detail on the neuro stuff. Anyway, it's all been very horrible and I'm still a mess. I am going through and have gone through tons of testing...looking for diseases etc. - everything clean. My guess is at some point down the line I can share with the board what my neck has been doing and how it has effected my nervous system. I think I am NOT the typical case, keep this in mind, but this is my reality right now. FYI. Mona

Old 12-02-2006, 08:15 AM   #10
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Hi Dave,
    Your situation is VERY similar to mine. I have been dealing with this since 2002 and I tried EVERYTHING. Mine most likely comes a yr. after I fell very hard on the ice. I fell in 2001. I am not sure, but it makes sense. I was fine till I fell. But I am 50 now, so of course things get kind of worn out.
    I am having surgery this month because i tried everything else and nothing has really worked for very long. Whatever you need to ask me is fine. I am in the exact same boat as you, only alot further along, timewise.
    Sue
    P.S. I had to buy a Tempur-pedic adjustable bed in 2005 because no other bed was working for me anymore. That was very helpful. (and their cervical pillow was helpful, too)

Old 12-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #11
    remotecontrol
    (male)

remotecontrol HB User

Hi mona, did i rupture a disc?...good luck with everything. i do feel for those with pain ,more now that i have had a good dose of it.
    hello SKZ i would like to say that your post was awesome and helpfull and i do wish ya the best.. nice post there. I read it about ten times.
    i guess its been about two months for me.. pain started from out of the blue...It was horrid for about 6 weeks and two weeks ago it started to get better, This last week i had a great improvement and only am taking the pain pills maybe one every other day while taking the muscle relaxers(i forget the name now dio something) twice a day...My left arm is still bad but for example i can jump of a 4 foot step ladder without getting jolted in my arm. Thats a big improvement for me,,,My shoulder is still sore as i type and tire very fast when i am working,,,I can work now(construction) but not full speed. My finger and thumb are still numb. which puzzels me cause the chiropracter i saw a few times(not going anymore) told me that my extremedeys or fingers should get better first and the pain in my neck last.
    why i have went through this painfull episode is still a mystery for me.
    I guess if i dont get more better or i get worse ill have to see a neuro doctor for some better answers. once again thx for the post SKZ..i check these this board daily. Its the only one i posted in.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:46 AM   #12
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Dave,
    I am no Dr, that's for sure..but looking at your MRI report, I do not see a herniated (ruptured) disk there. Your report is alot like mine. You have bulges that seem to be impinging on a nerve or nerves. I also have the numb hands, too and the bulges. You also have bone spurs (osteophytes) which can also impinge on nerves. I have that too. Keep reading my posts as I get closer to my surgery so you can see how that all goes. The reason I dont know my exact surgery date yet, is because I need to have my surgery before Jan 1, so insurance will pay. My surgeon appt. is Dec. 19th and I have been told by my physiatrist office (who works closely with the surgeon at the spinal center) to expect the surgery pretty darn soon after my appt. Its nerve racking not knowing when, but that's the way it goes. Sounds like I am in for an interesting Xmas.
    I think you would benefit from seeing a physiatrist. (a physical medicine Dr.). They do all kinds of treatments before they would send you to a surgeon. They usually also make you do physical therapy. What did the Dr. say that did your MRI, as far as follow up for your MRI results?

Old 12-06-2006, 08:38 AM   #13
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

Hey Dave...

I'm no doc and don't know a lot...but, my interpretation of your MRI is that you have 2 disc herniations...I believe (from my limited experience) that protrusion means it has herniated out. If this is so, I would say you have herniations at both C3-4 and C5-6, with some bulging in other areas - where the disc hasn't actually protruded out of the ligaments, casing (like the protrusiion has)...whatever it's called that's supposed to hold them there! Anyway...I'm glad to hear you've seen some improvement. I improved for about 12 weeks and then pain started to increase with the neuro symptoms to follow a couple of months later. Anyway, hopefully you'll have complete recovery as I think a lot of people do. It would be great if a more knowledgeable member could post their interpretation of the MRI? Does protrusion indicate actual herniation/rupture of the disc? Good luck Dave! Mona

Old 12-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #14
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Here is what I found on the net about protrusion:

"Disc protrusion consists of the deformity of the fibrous ring by the impact against it of the gelatinous material from the nucleus pulposus. If the ring breaks and part of the nucleus pulposus becomes extruded, disc herniation is diagnosed.

Spinal disc herniation is a pathological condition in which a tear in the outer, fibrous ring (annulus fibrosus) of an intervertebral disc allows the soft, central portion (nucleus pulposus) to be extruded (herniated) to the outside of the disc.

It is normally a further development of a previously existing disc protrusion, a condition in which the outermost layers of the annulus fibrosus are still intact, but can bulge when the disc is under pressure."

My lay interpretation of this, is that ia herniation is the next step after a protrusion. This is coming from just me reading stuff. I am certainly no expert.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:42 AM   #15
    remotecontrol
    (male)

remotecontrol HB User

Hey Mono and all,
    my doctor(who i rarely have ever seen though my family goes there), basicly read me my report quickly.Most of which i didnt understand. I do better with one syallable words but he did say i would be better of with a desk job and that being a painter paperhanger was the worst job for my condition..He also said i would be better off as a weight lifter lol...Thats really all that i can understand from our 10 minute phone conversation.
    About 2 weeks before i had set up a drafting table or eisel..It was almost strait up and down about chest and head height...I worked on drafting some plans for a addition on my house every day after work for 4 hours and the weekend...So i had my arms out front at drawing lines with a ruler..My wife thinks thats what brought on my symptoms. I dont usually do that kind of thing...To be in that kind of pain for a month and now the symptoms are going away slowly is causung me to think twice on every thing i do.. I can now after 6 weeks sleep in my own bed.. i have more faith in my own body healing itself then seeing a chiropracter.I am very afraid that they will twist my head the wrong way and make things worse.
    The scary part is knowing that these symptoms could return. I would like to minimize the chances of that..the construction,painting and papering is all i can do. I would be in bad shape if i cant do that work..I can never retire, only option is to work less.
    It would be nice if a pro posted to point a case like mine in the right direction.Maybe it will help some1else reading these boards too.
    I guess like most people i wont do anything till it hurts worse again or doesnt get more better. with four kids between 10 and 15 years old i have to work if i possibly can.

Last edited by remotecontrol; 12-07-2006 at 09:51 AM.

Closed Thread