It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Jiu Jitsu After Broken Neck

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2006, 06:09 AM   #1
    Ando_Commando
    (male)

Ando_Commando HB User
    Jiu Jitsu After Broken Neck

In 2004, I broke my neck at C 3-4 and C 7. I had the 3-4 vertabrae fused and am now wanting to compete in Jiu Jitsu tournaments, again. Question is, how strong are the fused vertabrae after a fusion? Can I do any type of full contact sport again, or is this an activity best left alone?
    I'm willing to risk another fracture, but I'm not willing to give up my ability to walk and use the restroom by myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User
    Re: Jiu Jitsu After Broken Neck

Hi, and welcome to the board. I had to go back and re-read your last statement because I couldn't believe you said you are willing to risk another fracture! OMG. Another fracture could mean paralysis. Is there any sport in t he world worth that chance?

After a fusion, that area is never the same, never as strong, and sometimes leads to deterioration of the surrounding discs so any kind of contact sport like you are talking about should NOT be undertaken in my opinion. Have you called your doctor for his opinion?

Most of us know the frustration of giving up doing things we love. For me, it was gardening and dancing....both cause intense pain. It took a while, but I finally learned my lesson and am not willing to have several days of severe pain. It's just too high a price to pay.

I wish you luck and do hope you talk to your doctor before doing this.

Carol
    morphine pump

Old 12-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User
    Re: Jiu Jitsu After Broken Neck

Carol is spot on guy! You need to talk with your surgeon about your desire to return to this contact sport. Most of us have all had to give up many things we love, but many are worth giving up for being able to function.

Personally, I thinking you would be playing roulette with very serious consequences should something go wrong.

Good luck. Tammy

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Closed Thread