It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Sitting for long periods after ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Sitting for long periods after ACDF

If sitting or standing for long periods is really painful now, is there any hope of being able to do these things after I have my ACDF and heal? I am not hoping to do contact sports or anything....I am just hoping I can sit, play piano, play harp....go on long car trips...sit at parties and socialize. I hope that is not asking too much in life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: Sitting for long periods after ACDF

It sounds odd, but I found that if I use a pillow on my lap and rest my arms on it when I sit, it takes the pressure off my neck and shoulders. I play piano as well and can only take it for 3 songs - it's better than nothing at all i guess.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

NeckPatient: When was your surgery and what did you have, if you dont mind me asking?

Old 12-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #4
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

I had all kinds of problems sitting, standing, walking, you name it before 2 level ACDF. Pain was normal for everything.

I am 2 1/2 years out, and can sit, stand, walk, whatever without pain. I travel by air quite a bit for my job, and that was the worst problem before surgery...it was murder. Now, I've been on flights all over the world (some very long ones), without any problem. I take the same precautions anyone would on long flights, support the neck, get up and walk around, stretch, etc.

Dennis

Old 12-07-2006, 07:47 AM   #5
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I tell ya Dennis, you are giving me all kinds of hope. !thanks!
    SueKZ

Old 12-07-2006, 11:18 AM   #6
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Sue,

It's a bit of a long road, but it is worth it.

The best advice I can give you is listen to your doctors, be careful to follow directions, if you don't understand ask.

Being here and talking to those of us who have been through this is and will be very helpful. It was for me. Without this site, I think I would have been lost.

It's very stressful and nerve racking leading up to the surgery, but there is hope afterwards.

I am so glad that I did it. I have told many on here that I wished I had done it sooner, as I lived with the pain for 20 years. Now, I feel pretty much like I did before the problems started 20 years ago. Toward the end before my surgery, I was in so much pain. I am an engineer, so I spend a lot of time traveling and standing when working on job sites. I could hardly stand or walk anymore.

I am at a job site right now working on an install, and have been putting in 12-14 hours a day, and other than sore feet, I feel fine.

You'll get there too.

Dennis

Old 12-07-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I find I can sit much more comfortably now (6 months post ACDF). I do a fair bit of air travel and car travel and did purchase some inflatable eagle creek neck pillows which help for travel - it's not that it hurts to not use a neck pillow but I just fear I'll fall asleep in the wrong position on a plane or in a car and end up with discomfort after the fact.

Closed Thread