It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF Healing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
    TINCAN
    (male)

TINCAN HB User
    ACDF Healing

Hello all
    I had an ACDF on C5-6 & C6-7 on Oct. 24th. The first week was a little rough. The second and third week was great. The fourth, fifth was pretty good. Now the problem is MUSCLE SPASAMS these spasams are pretty miserable. I have the spasams across my shoulders and my sides and back of my neck. This is my 4th spinal surgery so I am pretty sure they will just go away but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I am on Zanaflex and I am going to PT. Any input would be great. I hope you all have a blessed day!!
    TINCAN
    LAMINECTOMY L5-S1
    DISCTECTOMY L5-S1
    FUSION L5-S1 WITH HARDWARE
    ACDF C5-6, C6-7
    FBSS
    BONE SPURS
    MEGA SCAR TISSUE
    DDD IN THE LUMBAR AREA,THORASIC AREA AND CERVICAL AREA
    DISK BULGES @ C3-4, C4-5,T3-4,T4-5,L-4
    STENOSIS
    SPONDYLIOSIS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User
    Re: ACDF Healing

Hi i had exact same surgery mid Oct. and i am still having spasms (terrible kind) This is was why I had the surgery, to stop the pain! Anyway i am focusing on PT, correct posture, ice and heat. The only relief i get from drugs are narcotic drugs and i do not want to take them. I have bought a variety of shaped heat and cold packs and they do work. Others on this board say it takes months for the spasms to go away. Anyway I feel your pain!

Old 12-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Ouch on those spasms! Try more heat theapy-- it helps mine alot. If you can break the cycle with the muscle relaxers try it, faithfully taking them as presribed for a few days you might find it will break the spasm cycle. Also I have used some meditation type relaxation and really focus in on those muscles. Stop carrying your purse if you have one.

Did you wear a collar after surgery? if so you might try putting it back on for a few hours a day and re-weaning yourself off it. Building up your neck muscles, talk to PT.

Good luck.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
    bw67
    (male)

bw67 HB User

my doctor prescribed FLEXIRIL for my spasms...

BW

Old 12-13-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
    Tucsonlady40
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Tucsonlady40 HB User

Tincan,

I used heat and ice to help relieve my spasms. Also, when you can, rest, rest and rest. Your only 2 1/2 months into recovery and while your initial pain maybe gone, your surgery pains will get better, but with time.

If the med that they prescribed for you isn't working, call and see if they can prescribe something else.

Good luck to you,
    Bernie

Old 12-14-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
    NovRainDolly
    (female)

NovRainDolly HB User

Hi Tincan,

Boy oh boy can I relate to your spasms. I had surgery Aug 29 C3-4 4-5 to help rid myself of the chronic muscle spasms and I can say that I am actually worse. I have spent the past seventeen years trying to rid myself of them to no avail. I use soma, heat and ice and at this point feel like I just might go crazy! I had to stop PT temporarily because unfortunately I have taken two hard falls in the past three months. I got my C-spine x-ray back yesterday and the hardware is still solid so after New Year's I'm going to go back to PT. I spend every minute of every single day trying to get out of the spasms that go from the bottom of my skull, across both shoulders and down both sides of my trapizius muscles. What a nightmare this has been. Good luck to you and hopefully like some are saying it will get better for us.

DD

Old 12-15-2006, 02:55 AM   #7
    Laenini
    (female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

Before my C4-5 ACDF in November, my neurosurgeon was brutally honest and said that the surgery was not to relieve pain and that it could even progress my pain! He said the surgery was to stabilize my neck to prevent further injury and damage and without the surgery I was in danger of becoming paraplegic simply by slipping in the shower. Both my pain management physician and my physical therapist agreed with him and were impressed that he was so honest.

Luckily, I have had some improvements in pain. Most notably my 10 year long headache has been gone literally since I woke up in the recovery room a month ago!

As far as muscle spasms go, I've just started PT and they have given me some simple and safe stretches to do that seem to be helpful. Hot packs too I find comforting. I hate muscle relaxer drugs and avoid them, they make me feel so dopey!

Old 12-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
    Melindafm
    (female)

Melindafm HB User

You might ask your PT for a TENS unit. I was in PT over the summer (had acdf 2 level on 11/30/06). That TENS unit was a blessing. Kept me off of heavy duty pain killers and only needing a muscle relaxer on occasion. That was one of my main questions before surgery was could I continue to use it and the answer was yes. A TENS unit has to be prescribed by your doc but the PT should be able to get that for you. My insurance bought my unit. Some insurance companies will let you rent a unit. I now have a bone stimulator and again my question was could I use the TENS unit while wearing the stimulator and the answer was yes. The heat and cold are good also. Best of luck.....

Old 06-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
    mysticalraven
    (female)

mysticalraven HB User
    Question Re: ACDF Healing

I had surgery for the second time on May 8,2007.The surgeon went in and took out the old plate at c6-7 and fused 5-6/6-7 with a new plate.Before,i had no bulge or spurring at 6-7..now i do. C3-4 needed to be operated on and the surgeon wrote it down but didn't do it.I have bulging at c3-4/midline spurring.Mild narrowing of canal centrally,residual AP DIAMETER9.2MM. c6-7 IS ENDPLATE SPURRING/DISC BULGE.mIDLINE IS 8.3MM. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS BECAUSE I AM IN ALOT OF PAIN.sHOULD I BE? I HAVE HEADACHES,ETC...REAL BAD.THE LAST DR I SEEN SAID IT WAS IN MY HEAD. I KNOW THAT MY LEVEL OF PAIN IS REAL AND I GET SICK BECAUSE IT GETS SO BAD.ALTHOUGH THE DR DID SAY THAT I WOULD HAVE TO HAVE ANOTHER SURGERY...ADMITTED ME AND THEN TOLD THAT I COULDN'T BE HURTING AS BAD AS I CLAIMED.PLEASE ADVISE ME ON WHAT IS A NORMAL MM OF THE CANAL.THE REPORT ALSO SAYS STENOSIS PRESENT.THANKS

Closed Thread