It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Corpectomy OR Discectomy????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
    erica1976
    (female)

erica1976 HB User
    Corpectomy OR Discectomy????

Hi all,

Due to an injury, I have c5c6 cord compression.

3 of the 3 i saw surgeons said I should have surgery but two suggested discectomies and the other surgeon (who has an excellent reputation) suggested a corpectomy as well. I am confused why my case requires a corpectomy..

What exactly is corpectomy? None of my MRI reports discussed problems with bone being compressed into the cord - only disc. If only my disc is compressed, why would bony structures need to be removed?

What exactly is the difference between the two procedures?

I'm confused and a bit scared so any advice is really appreciated...

Thanks for all your help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
    PearlDoves
    Veteran
    (female)

PearlDoves HB User
    Re: Corpectomy OR Discectomy????

Well with the little that I know a corpectomy is a lot more complicated, a longer surgery and have a higher risk of other problems occuring because of it. I would do a lot of investigating and ask a LOT of questions. You might want to ask the other two doc's that just want to do the discectomy about the corpectomy and why the other doc might suggest it, and ask the doc who DID suggest the corpectomy why he wouldn't do just a discetomy and take care of the spurring then (maybe he's had a bad run in with spurs before?). Just because someone has a good reputation might mean he is a talented surgeon, but doesn't necessarily mean he's the right choice for your situation. I don't want to discourage you on this person, but you have a right to know these things, get their reasoning. Look at your reports and get to understand what it saying or have the surgeons or his assistants explain them to you.

How many levels are they talking about doing? A Corpectomy seems to be usually done in multilevel situations and if there is a bone spur. I had one level discetomy done at C5-C6 because of a bone spur (which he got rid of durring the surgery). I guess unless this surgeon thinks that this bone spur can not be taken away from just the normal surgical tools from some reason, I don't see why a regular ACDF wouldn't work, but its up to you to investigate now. Do you know what your report says?

Either way good luck to you and God Bless, I hope everything turns out well for you and that you get the right surgeon for you.

Last edited by PearlDoves; 12-16-2006 at 09:42 PM.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
    faubs110
    (male)

faubs110 HB User
    Re: Corpectomy OR Discectomy????

STAY AWAY FROM THE CORPECTOMY......they take out the disk like an acdf but they remove the vertebrae itself as well.....big concern for paralysis with that operation....from what ur stating the mri says "no cord compression" the dr who suggested it is an idiot....remember most surgeons are like salesmen....need to find the right one with your health as their genuine interest

Closed Thread