It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Blood Loss during ACDF?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-31-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
    ShepherdLady
    (female)

ShepherdLady HB User
    Blood Loss during ACDF?

Me again. Thinking ahead here..LOL.

Did any of you that had a ACDF, have to have a blood transfusion during surgery because of blood loss?

I am thinking of banking my own blood. Haven't even brought it up with my surgeon yet...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
    PearlDoves
    Veteran
    (female)

PearlDoves HB User
    Re: Blood Loss during ACDF?

The amount of blood lost durring this surgery is pretty much next to nothing it seems... very minimal and unlikely that you would need blood unless something catastrophic were to happen. I actually watched a couple of these surgeries via the internet, and one of them I can recall even talked about how much blood was lost, and it was so minimal, it seemed pretty amazing, I think it was in milimeters.

For pre-op they type and crossed my blood type in case I would need it, if you really wanted to for your own ease, I'm sure you could give your blood, but yeah, talk to your doc if you want about this, I'm guessing he'll tell you something along these lines.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
    Melindafm
    (female)

Melindafm HB User

I had 2 level acdf 11/30/06 and this was one of the questions I asked the neurosurgeon. He said that blood loss was so minimal it was not necessary to bank some of my blood. Something catastropic would have to happen to require transfusion. The surgeon inserted a drain during surgery that I had in until the next day. The amount that drained from the incision was minimal. I had only a speck of drainage from the incision afterwards. Hope this helps. Best to ask your surgeon. I always take a list of questions.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

I didn't save blood prior and I looked at my surgical reports and it says on the 2-level acdf I lost about 200ccs i think thats about 6 ounces. I don't think this surgery is a very bloody one and I am sure your surgeon would tell you.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #5
    ShepherdLady
    (female)

ShepherdLady HB User

Thanks Everyone.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

I think this is still a good question to ask your surgeon.

I banked my blood for my ACDF surgery based on my surgeons request.

I lost about a quart of blood during the surgery.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
    TraveltoSL
    Inactive
    (female)

TraveltoSL HB User

Hi there,

I just had my 3rd fusion surgery (in 5 years...) and didn't bank my blood any of those times.

The only reason to do this is if you have a rare blood type. I used to work for the American Red Cross and they have trouble getting rare blood type of blood for supply in hospitals.

So, I would ask if they would keep your blood to use for someone else (this is usually done if you are ok with them checking the blood for HIV, Hepatitis, etc). That way, you can donate this to help save other lives since it usually never happens with our type of surgery as the other posts have said, the blood loss is minimal.

Ingy

Old 01-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

I don't have a rare blood type, but my blood was banked.

I guess the poster's know more than the doctors.

Sorry for posting info...I thought it might help someone.

Dennis

Old 01-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #9
    TraveltoSL
    Inactive
    (female)

TraveltoSL HB User

Hi Dennis,

I am sorry if my post was different than yours. I really think it differs with each surgeon and what they request so for you to bank blood was totally your decision and a good one.

I was only stating that is isn't a requirement with all Dr.s and that we rarely need transfusions as not to alarm someone who is having this surgery.

Again, having worked for the Red Cross, I hope that they can use your blood that was banked since it is always needed by someone

So, please don't be upset. We were all just giving our personal opinions and what worked for us, and you to help out which is what you did. That's what is so great about this site, to get different opinions and options and then talk with our own Dr.s to make decisions. What is one person's goose is someone else's gander.....LOL.....Don't really know what that means but always here it for meaning differences...HA ha...

Ingy

Old 01-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

It wasn't my decision, it was my doctor's request.

The problem I have with your post is that it says "the only reason to do this is if you have a rare blood type..." That sounds very final to me and essentially an expert opinion, as you go on to say that you worked for the Red Cross, in an effort to substaintiate your opinion.

I would advise you to be more cautious in how you word your posts. There are different options, and you should consider that people from all over the world look at this site and the practice is different in other countries. With concerns for HIV and other deseases, the subject is very important to someone who is considering or about to undergo surgery.

The fact that my doctor requested that I bank my blood, which is not a rare type, indicates that this is a practice that some doctors do. I would consider this fact to be an important answer to this poster who asked specifically about banking blood, and I in fact did so.

Sorry if I am taking exception to what you said, but I believe it is important to be clear about what we post here.

Dennis

Last edited by dennisgb; 01-02-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #11
    TraveltoSL
    Inactive
    (female)

TraveltoSL HB User

Hi Dennis,

I do apologize for the way that I worded my post and will be more careful about how I state something.

I am asking that if you have a problem in the future with something that I, or someone else says, if you could just bring that up by saying something like, "Hey Ingy, wasn't too keen on the way you worded something..." or something similar to that if you could.

The statement about "I guess the poster knows more than the Dr.s " seemed a little harsh to me.

Again, I truly appreciate you bringing this up since it was bothering you and I didn't mean anything negative by what I said and am certainly not an authority on anything (except me Sometimes my fingers type faster than my brain....also happens with "foot in mouth" at times as well....LOL

So I hope we have this settled and reiterate that it's truly between patient and Dr. to decide what is best for them and I am only offering my "opinion" and will do better at wording this next time..

Thanks and blessings,
    Ingy

Old 01-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

When I had lumbar fusion (L4-S1 fusion) years ago I did bank my own blood for use if needed. Turns out it was not needed becuase these days they use "cell savers" - they cleanse what they suction out of you and use that first if possible.

For cervical fusion I was told the blood loss is far less than lumbar and that the cost to bank my own blood could be my responsibility as the cost to do so may not necessarily seen as a medcial necessity by the insurance company.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 01-02-2007 at 07:20 PM.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #13
    ShepherdLady
    (female)

ShepherdLady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dennisgb
    I think this is still a good question to ask your surgeon.

I banked my blood for my ACDF surgery based on my surgeons request.

I lost about a quart of blood during the surgery.
    >>

Thanks Dennisgb. I will certainly ask.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:07 PM   #14
    ShepherdLady
    (female)

ShepherdLady HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TraveltoSL
    Hi there,

I just had my 3rd fusion surgery (in 5 years...) and didn't bank my blood any of those times.

The only reason to do this is if you have a rare blood type. I used to work for the American Red Cross and they have trouble getting rare blood type of blood for supply in hospitals.

So, I would ask if they would keep your blood to use for someone else (this is usually done if you are ok with them checking the blood for HIV, Hepatitis, etc). That way, you can donate this to help save other lives since it usually never happens with our type of surgery as the other posts have said, the blood loss is minimal.

Ingy
    >>

I have a pretty common blood type. And I will bank it, if my surgeon thinks I should.
    But I also have other health problems. The main one being Rheumatoid Arthritis. Because of the graphs needing to fuse I now have to stop most all my RA drugs 3 weeks before surgery. I may not even feel up to banking any blood before this surgery. And even after, I am not looking forward to, because I cannot start any of my RA drugs for as long as 2-3 months after.

But if I do bank it, and I don't need it, they certainly could use it for whoever they think needs it.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:03 AM   #15
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TraveltoSL
    Hi Dennis,

I am asking that if you have a problem in the future with something that I, or someone else says, if you could just bring that up by saying something like, "Hey Ingy, wasn't too keen on the way you worded something..." or something similar to that if you could.
    I understand.

Lately, I have stopped posting on this board, because too many people seem to be giving very ambiguos or even wrong advice. I guess I let that flow over a little on you. I didn't mean to do that, as my statement was meant to be a general one to all posters...not just for you. Now, you see how easy it is to read something into a post, which is a problem when you read the typed word, rather than talking to someone face to face.

I can't emphasize how important it is to be careful in what you write (that's all of us). Too often it turns into just a conversation, and we forget that there many people who come here for answers, and are very worried or scared about what's happening to them. I believe we need to consider that every time we post, and be understanding to the fears that we all felt trying to understand this stuff. Also remember that for every poster, there are hundreds that are just readers, and thus there is a broad audience that are in the same boat.

My message to ShepardLady was geared to her question, as I had actually done what she was asking. My doctor was very conservative, and his feeling was, that even if 99% of surgeries of this type do not require blood, he wanted to be prepared for the 1% that do. I happened to agree with him, because I didn't want to be the 1%. Also, if you need the blood, it is much better to have your own.

Dennis

Last edited by dennisgb; 01-03-2007 at 07:04 AM.

Closed Thread