It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

I don't want to wait for surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 173
poopoopadoop HB User
I don't want to wait for surgery

Hi, All,
Ok, I am compulsively checking these boards. I am now in the frame of mind where I really want to have surgery sooner rather than later. I have my first neurosurgeon appt in a week, and a second opinion the following week. I am hoping that they don't say "let's wait 6 months and see how you are" or send me back for more PT.

Diagnosis: I have severe cervical stenosis with osteophyte and cord compression and edema and/or myelomalacia all C4-7 and a herniated disc.

I do not have bad pain - more mild throbbing, sometimes a sharp nerve pain, so I take vicodin every other day at night. I did PT 3x/wk for a month which I think at most did nothing and may have made things worse. I do have L hand numbness, clumsiness and contracted feeling, tingling, and L foot numbness/tingling.

I am at the point where I want to have surgery because I do not want this to get worse. I also would like to have hope of being active again one day (play with my kids, tennis??, run around, etc.).

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 03-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bellingham, WA USA
Posts: 257
monarog HB User
Re: I don't want to wait for surgery

Hi Lisa,

My only thought is I TOTALLY understand how you feel. I have been putting up with horrible neurological symptoms for one year, herniated at c6-7 one and one half years ago, 6 months later all the bizarre neuro stuff. It has been unrelenting; I have been very sick. I used to be an active long distance runner; this all stopped me dead in my tracks. I have numbness, tingling just about everywhere, off-balance, tremors, a constant horrible nervousness feeling that I just can't shake - to name a few.

Anyway, I understand where you're coming from. It took a year to get a firm diagnosis that the disc is flattening my cord and causing all of this crazy stuff. It didn't help that last spring an MRI showed the disc as, months of tests..then finally another MRI which clearly shows the flattened cord. I say get lots of opinions, listen to your body and be your own educated, health care advocate. I had to insist on another look at my neck, even though docs kept saying it was looking better. They were somewhat surprised to see my most recent film. Anyway, good luck to you and keep us posted. I am having ACDF in 5 days...I am a nervous wreck (which doesn't help my already screwed up nervous system!); but, I'm hopeful this will be the first step in a process of becoming healthy again. Take Care. Mona

Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 425
PearlDoves HB User
Re: I don't want to wait for surgery

When you go to see these surgeons, do NOT say that your pain is not that bad, don't downplay yourself. Tell them that PT didn't help and that you think it made you worse, this will help get things going sooner potentially. Its hard to think of the nerve sensations and the like as pain sometimes, but I've learned that it IS PAIN and at times you gotta refer to it as such (nerve pain) to advocate for yourself. If you're clumbsy your situation is already pretty bad in my opinon, and just like a snap of the fingers you could suddenly get worse or steadily get worse. As it is you will probably need to get more films pre-op and then you'll have to see your primary doc for a pre-op eval to see if you are okay for surgery. You could be waiting a bit as it is before you actually get in to surgery due to testings and appointments, perhaps up to a month, but you never know, he may be able to get you in sooner. Good luck to you and many blessings.

Last edited by PearlDoves; 03-22-2007 at 10:10 AM.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: gurnee, il usa
Posts: 10
dac9162 HB User
Re: I don't want to wait for surgery

Originally Posted by captnanny View Post
I understand both of you completely. I am 37 and have spondylosis in the cervical spine c3-4 through c6-7. I also have central spinal canal narrowing at c5-6. The emg showed muscle atrophy and nerve damage, nothing has worked so far. i've had 3 nerve block injection and pt has given me more pain. Every time I go for another opinion I get the same answer, I could try more pt but will need surgery eventually. The two worse parts are that my mother is dead set against surgery and I can't get approval soon enough. I'm not sure if I should get one more opinion, I've had two or three.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: houston,tx
Posts: 3
mnmjdnyc HB User
Re: I don't want to wait for surgery

I had cervical fusion surgery on 1-31-07 and my pain is still here and even more at times. I also have serve headaches. My doctor thinks this may be becuase my body might be rejecting the donor bone I recieved.

I might have other surgey but this time he will have to use bone from my hip. He expalined the recovery is longer if scrapes my hip but the change of my body rejecting the bone is "very very very low" I have spoken with a couple of people who had the surgey done this way and the recorvey took longer because of the hip not the neck.

I guess if I was to do it over again from the begining I would have use the bone from by hip originally.

But in the end I would always choice surgey over the pain. I can't stand not being strong for my kids and being depressed form the pain. I want off the pain pills.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
back pain/ don't want surgery molove96 Back Problems 5 02-08-2008 07:59 PM
Nightmare Hospital Experience.....Don't let this happen to you! missy502 Hysterectomy 2 01-31-2008 05:54 PM
Husband doesnt want me to have surgery lisaann1 Thyroid Disorders 9 01-13-2008 10:49 AM
Surgery or not? captnanny Spinal Cord Disorders 6 04-01-2007 08:35 AM
Don't let tonsillectomy scare you!! girlcat41 Ear, Nose & Throat 14 03-11-2007 05:18 PM
I am so sad....pain is worst and I don't know what to do anymore! memorize Back Problems 7 07-05-2006 05:42 PM
Why don't they want me to get an MRI?? Drewtn Pain Management 8 05-17-2006 12:29 PM
In trouble and don't know what to do next. lutherfetch Back Problems 18 05-14-2006 07:38 PM
So Confused! You have RSD-now you don't. Michelle W Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) (CRPS) 14 08-24-2004 12:40 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!