It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF success rate?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
    souffoue
    (female)

souffoue HB User
    ACDF success rate?

Is there a site where I can go to see the success rate for this surgery?

TIA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: ACDF success rate?

I am thinking we are not allowed to post websites on here. But what I ended up doing is doing an internet search for ACDF success or something close to that. There was one site I went to (cant remember which) that had like 20 surgeons on there , each answering the same questions....e.g... what it the success rate. In all my reading the consensus was 80-90% success rate. I guess it depends on how they define SUCCESS. (neurological or pain-wise).

Old 04-04-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
    souffoue
    (female)

souffoue HB User

Thanks so much! I wish there was also a way to find out about your surgeon. I will try doing some searches. Thanks again for the info!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #4
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I researched my surgeon on the Colorado Medical Examiners website. Try doing that for the state of Washington. Hopefully that is the name of their governing website for physicians. It showed me if there are any "actions" being taken against my surgeon. Thankfully there were none.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
    souffoue
    (female)

souffoue HB User

Thanks so much! I'm sure he is fine but I am prettry nervous and scared about the surgery and just want to make sure!

Old 04-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User

I just asked my surgeon directly, and he explained in detail how many ACDFs he has done, and the outcomes. Not every ACDF is 'equal' so you have to factor that in - age & health of patient, severity & duration of their condition, care taken during the post op healing period, etc.

Try asking him things like how many, are there any repeats (to correct a failed fusion as well as to operate again on different levels), worst complication, etc., then ask him to describe how he thinks your case fits in with his overall experience.

My surgeon seemed very forthcoming when answering these kinds of questions, and even described the kinds of cases he would not take on since (in his judgement) there was not much expectation of helping patients with some types of problems.

Closed Thread