It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Has Anyone had a Cervical Epidural Injection?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
    deannette1
    (female)

deannette1 HB User
    Has Anyone had a Cervical Epidural Injection?

Hello everyone,

Just a quick background. I have had neck pain since 2000 gone through shoulder surgery and in Dec 2006 had ACDF c4/5-5/6. 4 months later pain in back. (Description of my pain is from the back of my neck radiating toward my left shoulder; sharp,stabbing, extreme burning, and prickling pain) Most of the time I am at a 9 as far as pain is concerned. Went back to PT few weeks ago and PT and Neurosurgeon suggested stopping and going for a Cervical Epidural Steroid Injection.
    Since I will be awake, Does it hurt?
    How long does it really take? (i've heard some sites say 10minutes some say 45minutes?)
    Anything I should know that maybe I haven't heard yet?
    Thanks in advance for you responses.
    Nicki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
    Payton02
    (female)

Payton02 HB User
    Re: Has Anyone had a Cervical Epidural Injection?

I had a cervical epidural injection in mid-February prior to moving forward with ACDF of C6-7. It was pretty uneventful. I was given 20 mg of Valium and don't really remember much of it. The actual injection lasted less than 15 minutes, but the prep time was probably around 20 - 30 minutes.

I'm just curious....Were you pain free following your surgery? Did they use metal plate and screws? I would be concerned that something had gone wrong with the ACDF if I were experiencing a 9 on the pain scale this soon after surgery.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #3
    DELTA 22
    (female)

DELTA 22 HB User

I had the Epidural Steroid Injections I was put in a light sleep. I was real stif the next day. But it didnt really hurt but it didnt help either. It sounds like you have a nerve traped?

Good Luck!

Old 04-06-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
    deannette1
    (female)

deannette1 HB User

Payton yes I was pain free after surgery but when I returned back to my normal activities it flared back up. Yes I have plates and screws and mri's and ct's showed that they are in good position. The surgery was helpful in the fact that I was having alot of heaviness in my legs which are now gone along with the frequent stiff necks. After going to PM they tell me that it seems that I am bulging above and below where I was fused causing alot of inflamation which is why I am having severe burning. I am thinking positive that this injection will help and if not my PM says that there are other things he can do which I think is trigger point injections. Well, good luck to all.
    Oh I have one more question.... Did they tell you they were giving medicine before the injection to make you more comfortable? Mine didn't say and I am not the one who likes needles lol.

Nicki

Old 04-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I had a cervical steroid injection in Nov. '05. They give you an IV and then when its time for them to start the injection, they put some great stuff right in the IV and you go into a "twilight" type of sleep. I have no memory of any injections I ever had. (and I have had a TON of different types)

Old 04-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
    DELTA 22
    (female)

DELTA 22 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SKZ View Post
    I had a cervical steroid injection in Nov. '05. They give you an IV and then when its time for them to start the injection, they put some great stuff right in the IV and you go into a "twilight" type of sleep. I have no memory of any injections I ever had. (and I have had a TON of different types)
    Thats how mine was done also and I dont remember the injections either.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #7
    deannette1
    (female)

deannette1 HB User

Thanks you guys! I hope its the same for me.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
    Payton02
    (female)

Payton02 HB User

My neurosurgeon's office referred me to a PM doctor for the injection. The nurse told me that they usually give Valium prior to the procedure, and if it wasn't offered I should ask for it. They gave me 20 mg of Valium and actually said if that wasn't enough, they would give me more. I can remember laying on the table, and I do remember the doctor being there, but I do not remember any needle going in or anything else. I did not have an IV at all. If I were you, I would call the office and ask these questions prior to your injection. It seems to me that they are willing to do whatever is needed to ensure you are comfortable.

Good to hear that all of your hardware is where it is supposed to be. I hope the injection does the trick for you.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #9
    moonchaser
    (female)

moonchaser HB User

Oh my gosh I am so glad that this thread appeared! I was just getting ready to ask the exact same thing. I am scheduled on Wed., 4/11 for an epidural steroid injection. I think I can deal with the thought of a big needle headed for my neck as long as I don't have to see it. If I see it, I'll stress out.

I have tried various types of PT for a while now, so my new doc said she thinks it's finally time to bite the bullet and do the injection. I agree as I'm getting more frustrated with myself and my symptoms are continuing to get worse.

My questions that I haven't seen addressed are:

1. I live in my town by myself, don't know very many people that I feel comfortable enough to ask to take off their work and drive me 50 miles to the doc. Even though they told me to bring a driver, would it be at all realistic to think I could drive myself home? It'd be only 25 miles, half of which is interstate.

2. How soon should I wait to resume walking on my treadmill and other light exercise? It helps me loosen my back up sometimes, and I rely on it.

3. My doc said no ibuprofen or over the counter pain meds for two weeks prior. As a result, I've hurt a lot worse over the last two weeks. Any one else told this? I think it's because those drugs are blood thinners by nature.

4. Random internet clinic marketing ads tout "one injection" to feel better. Realistically, how many people find the injections solve their problem, and does one do it?

5. Will this injection also alleviate my weakness in my left hand? I can't hardly hold onto stuff sometimes and it's driving me nuts. Will the shot help me get my strength back as well as stop the tingling?

Ok, I'll stop now. If you're still reading this at this point - thank you. Sorry to have so many questions, but I'm getting nervous. I'm afraid if this doesn't work I'm headed for surgery, which I really want to avoid! Thanks.

Moonchaser

Old 04-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
    DELTA 22
    (female)

DELTA 22 HB User

A friend took me and drove me home. No I dont think I could have drove myself. I felt real stiff the next day and went back to work 48 hours afterwards. I had no long term benefit from the injection. I had 4 different areas in my neck done and to be truthful I couldnt tell any benefits from it. This was 4 years ago and I go next week to schedule surgery.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #11
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I am 100% positive they will NOT allow you to drive home. I have had a bunch of these types of injections and they wont allow it. Sorry.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #12
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

It really depends on your PM Doc. If you go twilight, you need a driver, and that is the way I did it 7 x.

I have a client who has PM doc who just injects a topical numbing needle first, and then he drives home. DR did it in his office!

I have a PPO and my total copay for 1st series was $2300 local outpatient from community hospital.

Next series done at teaching hospital out patient $1200

Last series I shopped and same Dr preformed it at a laser surgery center and my copay was $300.

Ask your doctors if there is a choice of where it will be done and call that center for pricing if you have a PPO

Old 04-06-2007, 07:17 PM   #13
    deannette1
    (female)

deannette1 HB User

Wow... I only have to pay $25 and he is doing it in his office. I just have a fear of needles so I kinda getting nervous about feeling the pain. Did anyone ever get asked if they were allergic to shellfish? I have been reading some sights about making sure you tell your doctor.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #14
    DELTA 22
    (female)

DELTA 22 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deannette1 View Post
    Wow... I only have to pay $25 and he is doing it in his office. I just have a fear of needles so I kinda getting nervous about feeling the pain. Did anyone ever get asked if they were allergic to shellfish? I have been reading some sights about making sure you tell your doctor.
    WOW.. you are lucky only 25:00..my co part was 600.00...I think the total cost was around 3000.00 I had mine done at the pain clinic. It was like going into outpatient surgery. I had a gown IV.. Nurse working with Doctor afterwards I was placed into a room to recover...(wakeup)

I do know he used something to help guide him some Type of X ray camera or something. So he was able to see where he was putting the needles...It was all a breeze really.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #15
    jbsim
    Veteran
    (female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User

Hi,I go at the end of this month for one of those. So I dont know yet and I would like to know more about it. My doctor said it could last 3 years for pain relief I dont know how true that is but I hope so. So I figure why not I will try it sure beats surgery. I wonder how long afterwards I will be sore? How soon do you feel better?

Closed Thread