It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF C5-6: 7 months ago; and airport ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2007, 04:44 AM   #1
    kgwoz
    (female)

kgwoz HB User
    ACDF C5-6: 7 months ago; and airport ?

Hi! I had an ACDF performed 7 months ago at the C5-6 level (donor bone, titanium plate and screws) and have been healing nicely. I am still experiencing some pain/stiffness in the back of my neck and both sides of my neck. Is this normal?

Also, I have not had to go through airport security since my surgery. I will be flying soon, and am wondering do I need to worry about setting off the airport metal detectors? Should I get a card from my surgeon stating that I have a metal plate and screws in my neck?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: ACDF C5-6: 7 months ago; and airport ?

Funny you should mention this. Yesterday I had my 3 month post op appt. and I asked the same thing. I am going to be flying in May. They told me that the hardware is so deep inside that it doesnt set the security off. They said they never heard of anyone doing that. I also have a plastic card they sent me last week stating all the stuff I have had done surgically. Weird.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
    ms.titanium
    (female)

ms.titanium HB User

The first time I flew after surgery I also asked my doctor. It was right after 9/11. He wrote out something about what I had in my neck on a prescription pad. When I got to the screener I told her about the metal in my neck and she swiped the wand several times around my neck and nothing showed up. At the time I had a plate in the front, I have added a few bits and pieces since then and I wonder if the ones in the back might show up.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

I have never set off the main security gate, but the hand wand has gone off. I told them I had a 2 level plate and screws in there and they saw the scar on the front of my neck and didn't even ask for the card.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I've had an L4-S1 fusion with hardware and then the ACDF along with some metal screws in my knee - I've never set off any detector at any airport (I fly all the time for business). I've even flown internationally and had no problems. To tell you the truth I would not mention it to any TSA staff - all the more reason for them to pull you aside and you could end up on some list.

Closed Thread