It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Spinal Stimulator or Morphine Pump?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
    barmc5
    (female)

barmc5 HB User
    Spinal Stimulator or Morphine Pump?

Can anyone tell me the difference between a spinal stimulator and a morphine pump? I keep reading about both and have now reached a stage where if I take any more medications I will sleep all day instead of half the day.

Thanks I will look forward to hearing from anyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User
    Re: Spinal Stimulator or Morphine Pump?

A spinal stimulator delivers electrical stimulation. A morphine pump delivers morphine to your system.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
    DesertBloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Hi barmc5 : You might want to check the pain mgte board, but the way it was explained to me is an intrathecal pump (morphine pump) delivers meds to your spinal cord. Other meds besides morphine can be used like dilaudid. Because it is going into your spine and not your vascular/digestive system you don't get the loopy feeling from the drug. I don't have this but have considered it and still haven't decided. My neuro surgeon doesn't like the SCS (spinal cord stimulator) because the patients with problems are sent to him for removal and he sees a lot. There are varying problems all of which I don't understand, but where the SCS had to be removed. This doesn't mean the electrical stim doesn't work it only means that some have problems with it just like the intrathecal pump. There is someone on the pain mgte board that knows a lot more about the intrathecal pump than I, check it out.

Last edited by DesertBloom; 04-10-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: mistake

Old 04-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
    barmc5
    (female)

barmc5 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Spinal Stimulator or Morphine Pump?

Thanks ever so much for all your information - i am going to look on the other **** now - it does help to find details out first hand. I'll let you know my decision.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:47 AM   #5
    Elliott45
    (male)

Elliott45 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barmc5 View Post
    Can anyone tell me the difference between a spinal stimulator and a morphine pump? I keep reading about both and have now reached a stage where if I take any more medications I will sleep all day instead of half the day.

Thanks I will look forward to hearing from anyone.
    I have both stimulator and pump. DO NOT get a stimulator. The morphine pump works great. I've had it 6 years. Good Luck !!

Closed Thread