It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Newbie - 3 Level Cervical ADR 3/23/07

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
    lisibug
    (female)

lisibug HB User
    Newbie - 3 Level Cervical ADR 3/23/07

Hi, I'm new to this forum and just had a 3 level cervical ADR performed by Dr. Bertagnoli 2-1/2 weeks ago at C3-4, C4-5 and C6-7, using the Prodisc prostheses. I had a one level fusion performed at C5-6 2-1/2 years ago. I was pretty skeptical about how well I was "supposed" to do afterwards, because I know how it feels to heal from a fusion. However, I'm doing amazingly well! I seem to have a particular problem with both surgeries of being 'sick' right after the surgeries, but it lasted only the day after the surgery with the ADR. That evening I was able to start walking around on my own and after that just got stronger and stronger. We went to Germany for the surgery and then London and got home on Easter Sunday. I'm able to do little chores around the house, then rest, take short walks, then rest, etc. I am still on meds, but my pain is very minimal with meds. I don't have any more radicular pain into the arms/hands/fingers - only when I bend my elbows, some tingling because I have compressed ulnar nerves bilaterally (which obviously has nothing to do with my neck). I also had very severe headaches all of the time, which are better, too. Dr. Bertagnoli's office said that I have an unusually low amount of post-operative pain - I think God has heard everyone's prayers for so long and dumped all the answers on me all at once! I'm very happy that I'm doing so well post-operatively and am just really hoping that long term I will do well, too. I have suffered quite badly for a lot of years and am really hoping that this surgery will bring long term relief. I know that many of you are the same and I very much wish you all long term relief, too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
    Rolex
    (female)

Rolex HB User
    Re: Newbie - 3 Level Cervical ADR 3/23/07

Lisibug, I am interested to know how you are doing.. I hope you are doing OK
    I am in the study to get the Bryan ADR approved here in the US. I had it installed C5-6 here in Reno, Nev in 2004. I did fine for awhile was in arear end acccident Aug 2005 and am now having issues with my other arm and sore neck again..
    Let me know how you are. How long was the surgery? Why so manylevels?
    Hope everything goes well for you...
    Rolex

Old 04-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
    lisibug
    (female)

lisibug HB User
    Re: Newbie - 3 Level Cervical ADR 3/23/07

Hi Rolex. Sorry you were in a car accident causing aggravation to your neck. Do you know if your implant was damaged or dislodged or whether your problems are stemming from another level? Sure hope you can get relief without any more surgical intervention.

The reason why I had to have so many levels operated on is this. After my C5-6 fusion, I had unusually rapid degeneration. C3-4, which was perfectly fine before the fusion, developed a disc/osteophyte complex with gross compression and flattening of the spinal cord and some neural foraminal stenosis. C4-5 had minimal spinal canal stenosis and the neural foraminal stenosis wasn't too bad, but because it was between two operated levels, they had to include that one too - but the discogram performed the day prior to surgery was actually very positive for pain and showed up as torn. C6-7 had mild to moderate spinal canal stenosis, but this level was degenerating significantly about every 9 months and had severe neural foraminal stenosis and I had radicular pain in the corresponding fingers. This level was also positive on discogram and the disc showed as torn. So - that's why so many levels required surgery - they were all pretty messed up.

I think I'm doing quite well, but still have to lie down after activities and feel increased pain after being up for a few hours and when my meds wear off. Unlike a couple of other people who have posted recently, I am not off meds yet. My pain is in my upper back, trapezii and shoulders, with tension type headaches, mostly very mild. The doctor's office advised me that this is completely normal and will last for about 2 to 3 months. Soma and Vicodin take care of this just fine, but I am also still on nerve pain meds (Neurontin and Topamax). I am trying to start weaning down on the Neurontin but it will take awhile as I've been on a pretty high dose (2700 mg daily). I'm also on amitryptiline and should probably start weaning down on that too, 100 mg. each night.

I can move my neck quite well in all directions. I think I'm doing very well, but not as well as the people who don't need any medications - I'm definitely not there, and I do need to alternate activities with lying down. Friday was 3 weeks since my surgery. I'm just really hoping this will help me long term - as I know we are all hoping.

I'm glad the Bryan implant has been helping you so much - 'till the car accident. Sure hope that calms down and you are 100% before too long. Thank you for your kind post and I wish you the very best in your recovery.

Closed Thread