It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Shoulder Pain & Rain?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
    ~Ro
    (female)

~Ro HB User
    Question Shoulder Pain & Rain?

Hi All,
    Yesterday was the worse! I couldn't stay out of bed for longer than a few minutes due to the horrendous pain in my shoulder blades. The weather was moist, (had an ice storm the night before) and I wonder if the pain worsens because of it? Is it time for me to think of moving back to the desert because I'll have such pain every time it gets humid? I'm 11 weeks post op from an ACDF to C5 through C7. Is this common? Will it continue forever or just until I'm fused? Or do any of you have an idea about this pain that wouldn't succomb to pain meds or muscle cream. It likes the heating pad and my leaning up against my wedge & stack of pillows but I can't get much done in that position!

Please give me your ideas on this.

Thanks
    ~Ro

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: Shoulder Pain & Rain?

Hi Ro,
    The good news is that it is too early to tell if you will have these aches and pains for the rest of your life. You will be healing for a long time. If after 6 months or a year this continues, you can pretty much expect it's permanent.

I have this problem with weather and I live in Arizona so don't go moving your home yet (lol). I tracked it and noticed it not only comes with humidity but also with lower barometric pressure. Where I live the normal is in the 29s or 30s barometric pressure, when it dips into 26.x's that is when I get significant increase in pain. I had a miserable fall and winter, the spring has improved, but still some bad days. I am really looking forward to summer to see if I can have some good weeks strung together.

Why not try to track it for a month and see if it is same for you. Isn't it curious how it does that?

I love my heating pad, I already burned one up. I also have these bags that can be heated up in microwave that are more portable. My son bought me one from Crabtree that smells like herbs and lavender. My other one has some kind of rice or soy in it. I can use those in the car.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
    ~Ro
    (female)

~Ro HB User

I pretty much track everything, (pills, muscle cream, weight, Blood pressure and the intensity of the pain whenever I take a pain pill) why not add one more thing to the pot ;-). Yesterday, I noted on my "nurses notes" (in which I am the nurse) the amount of pain I was enduring, I was near tears. :-( Today is better but leaning on my heat pad, (presently) makes it so much better.

I would love to get some of those scented heating pads, how clever is that? I don't do too much travel except out to dinner, doctor or tanning salon, (to treat my lack of sunitis depression) and I just make sure I have my round or neck pillow to make the ride more comfortable. I have no idea when I'll be able to start driving, clearly NOT while on paid medication, this has got to end ... doesn't it? <deep sigh>

On the side, I already spent many years in Tucson, where my family still resides. I think it's a great place to visit but don't want to go back to live despite the long winters here. If you don't mind my asking, what part of AZ are you in? Though my husband would love to move back to AZ, (he's from Germany) I'm glad to hear, (though sorry you're going through it) that it occurs in the desert. I'm going to track the barametric pressure, interesting, DH just got one as a gift from work. :-)

Thanks for commiserating.

~Ro - bracing for the Nor'easter

Old 04-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

HI Ladies,
    I had to chuckle because I am the QUEEN OF HEAT ! I bought a hot tub, where the jets hit the traps just right. (2 yrs. ago). I also bought one of those hydrocollars (that heat thing they put hot pads in at Phys. Therapy). The made fun of me at Phys. Therapy because they said they NEVER had a patient say they bought one. OMG, why the heck not???????????? It costs like $220 and ita a table top model. It is so worth the money, I cannot even tell you. I seriously do not know what i would do without these things. (AND the moist heating pad). I guess I will be finding out in May because for 8 days I am going to be without them. Time to load up on Thera-Care pads! I am going to bring my Thera-cane and a heating pad. How sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont want a big old set-back from being on a plane for hours and hours and from running around with my 21 yr. old daughter all day and night. I know you ladies can totally relate. I am finally doing half decently now....its scary to test the ole 51 yr. old body to see how much I can handle. But what can you do. I promised my daughter we would traipse around NYC and DC for her college graduation (straight A's). So I keep thinking of that NY pizza, and that incrfedible NY Chinese food!

Old 04-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
    ~Ro
    (female)

~Ro HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neckpatient View Post

I love my heating pad, I already burned one up. I also have these bags that can be heated up in microwave that are more portable. My son bought me one from Crabtree that smells like herbs and lavender. My other one has some kind of rice or soy in it. I can use those in the car.
    The family & I went out today for pre-storm supplies & on a search for that herb & lavendar heating pad you spoke of. I found some at a bath shop, but only bought the one for neck & shoulders & another that can pretty much go anywhere along the back; they are scented with chamomile & lavendar, no other scents. Wow, they are wonderful, I'm in heaven!!! They are filled with flax seed and can be used cold or hot, how ingenious. And not too expensive, only $10 & $15 for them. I wonder how long the heat lasts, as I haven't timed it yet, they may be good for SKZ's trip to NYC, who probably already has them. ;-) She has me beat with her heat sources, who'd think of getting the PT pads. I too got the hot tub a couple years back but DH won't let me use it in the Winter because it's so expensive to heat up. I'd get massages instead; oh how I miss them! All these years, I've been treating these pains, who ever thought to bring it up to a doctor? I'm so happy I was accidentally diagnosed, (long story) it sure made sense of why I'd been trying to treat my aching shoulders & neck for years and carpal tunnel that wasn't.

Thanks for all the words of wise,
    ~Ro

Old 04-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I live in Colorado and the hot tub is EXPENSIVE to run. When I had my surgery in Jan, I shut the thing down till March when I just couldnt take it anymore. I have to completely take care of the tub myself because in order to test it, you have to see colors. Forget it....he is partially color blind. That tub is a pain in the butt to take care and to afford, but mascochist that I am, I do it anyway. haha.
    I have one of those thera-beads neck heat thing that you put in the microwave. But when I am in NYC, I seriously doubt I will be able to heat that sucker up. The flax thing.....you heat it in the microwave???

Old 04-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
    ~Ro
    (female)

~Ro HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SKZ View Post
    I live in Colorado and the hot tub is EXPENSIVE to run. When I had my surgery in Jan, I shut the thing down till March when I just couldnt take it anymore. I have to completely take care of the tub myself because in order to test it, you have to see colors. Forget it....he is partially color blind. That tub is a pain in the butt to take care and to afford, but mascochist that I am, I do it anyway. haha.
    I have one of those thera-beads neck heat thing that you put in the microwave. But when I am in NYC, I seriously doubt I will be able to heat that sucker up. The flax thing.....you heat it in the microwave???
    Fortunately, I don't have to deal with the hot tub except when to complain that something needs adjusted ;-). The flax seed heat pads are heated in the microwave 30 seconds at a time for no longer than 2 minutes total. I had a friend just tell me he left his in for 1.5 minutes, it burned up the seeds & the scented things inside & ruined it AND his microwave. So, follow the directions. I haven't used it as an ice pack yet but will have to try that one of these days when I don't need all the heat. I just love it because I find my pains relieved instantly (or nearly) when I put it on.

Dinner time,
    ~Ro

Closed Thread