It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• VERY IMPORTANT - BAD NIGHT SWEATS after ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User
    VERY IMPORTANT - BAD NIGHT SWEATS after ACDF

Hi,
    I am about 3.5 weeks out from my ACDF C-5/6. I am doing really well overall, but am having TERRIBLE night sweats (which I have never had in my life). When I was in the hospital, I had fevers and I ran a fever for about 1 week after surgery (like 100.1). I called the dr and he was not worried. The fevers went away during week 2.

Now for about the past week, I am soaking the sheets due to my sweating at night only. I ******d these symptoms and am now worried because they say that it could be a sign of infection.

Has anyone else encountered this? BTW, I hardly take any pain meds anymore - so I don't think it is from the meds.

Thanks so much,
    Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
    PearlDoves
    Veteran
    (female)

PearlDoves HB User
    Re: VERY IMPORTANT - BAD NIGHT SWEATS after ACDF

I would call the surgeon about it, and if it doesn't get his attention, I would contact/ have your primary doctor PAGED to help you address this. I hope its nothing serious, but it doesn't sound good to me. Many blessings to you, keep us posted.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

It would be good to check with your dr. or even primary care but it is common to have night sweats even 3-4 weeks after surgery. Check your temp and call dr if it goes over 101.

There are some other possible explanations. some people have sensitve thyroids after surgery anesthesia and your homones could be out of whack. anesthesia stays in our tissues until we process it.

If you don't have other symptoms coming on with it, like weakness, naseau, etc., I would not worry too much at this time. Otherwise sounds like you are doing well.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User

I just called the dr office. The nurse said that it is probably because I tapered down the pain meds too quickly. She said if it were infection, I'd have a fever and other symptoms. Made me feel better (I guess).

Thanks for the posts and support.
    Lisa

Old 05-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Lisa:

My first guess (before I got to your last post) was going to be medication reduction too quickly :-) If you aren't having any fevers then the meds are the most likelyn cause.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i answered you on the back boardd thread you placed there.hope it helps.Marcia

Closed Thread