It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ACDF post-op directions/limitations from NS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
    souffoue
    (female)

souffoue HB User
    ACDF post-op directions/limitations from NS

I was just wondering what you all were told by your NS as far as your limitations/directions post-op. I had an ACDF (C6-C7) two weeks ago (cadaver graft) and am in an Aspen collar for 4 to 6 weeks - fyi.

I was basically told no housework; no lifting more than 10 lbs (when at first he told me no more than a milk jug and then on my written post-op instructions it said no more than 10 lbs???); no driving while on narcotics; off work for 4 to 6 weeks - and that was about it.

Nothing was said about NSAID's and I question the driving issue - how on earth can I drive while wearing the collar when it prohibits turning/movement of my head???

Also - what were you told as far as movement of your head - turning it side to side etc???

I question everything I do and if I am doing too much, not doing enough. I have recently been sleeping on my left side (my incision is on the right side) with a neck pillow under my neck as I was getting soooo tired of sleeping sitting up. Is this a dangerous sleeping position?

Sorry for all the questions - I just am now feeling like I didn't have as much instruction as I would have liked and I am questionning everything. I go back to the dr. in two more weeks (4 week post op appt) and that will be the first appt. since the surgery. I have also seen a difference in when NS see patients back - varying from 2 weeks to 6 weeks.

Thanks for all the input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
    captnanny
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

captnanny HB User
    Re: ACDF post-op directions/limitations from NS

hi,
    I got the same amount of instructions you did. I just got off the surgery meds last week, I'm still on the meds presurgery for a time being because of tolerance to them, how long I was on before surgery and withdrawals would not be good right now. I got the ok to drive. I called the nurse and flat out told her I can't get to my appointments. She told me I could drive, minimally, with the collar on. It's not that bad when i have to turn my head i turn my whole body, well from shoulders up and use my mirrors ALOT
    you should try calling them Monday.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
    souffoue
    (female)

souffoue HB User

Thanks Capt!! I'm still taking the narcotics at times. Makes me nervous though to think of driving with this collar on although I am sure it can be done.

Sounds like things are going great for you!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:28 AM   #4
    captnanny
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

captnanny HB User

hey,
    just a question, I start physical therapy today
    was wondering if you've started yours. we seem to have the same indirection, or backwards aftercare.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
    gia1
    (female)

gia1 HB User

I basically got the same instructions up here in Canada, post op app't in 6 weeks. Absolutely no driving with the collar on, can result in charges if in an accident.
    Had surgery May 7, still taking it easy.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I was told no driving and no strenuous activity for 6-10 weeks. I too had the Aspen collar and only removed it at the later stages of the 6 weeks when I was sitting still. After I got the collar off I was very careful about head movement, etc.

I had no physical therapy but then again I had no muscle spasms. Some people do and that can make PT very helpful.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
    souffoue
    (female)

souffoue HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by captnanny View Post
    hey,
    just a question, I start physical therapy today
    was wondering if you've started yours. we seem to have the same indirection, or backwards aftercare.
    Hi captnanny!,

Sorry I haven't been on the computer in awhile. I saw my dr. yesterday for my 4 week post-op appt. I asked him about PT -- he said if I felt I needed it they would of course schedule it for me - but for someone my age (he called me young! I am 42) they don't automatically send you to PT. It seems like every Dr. is so different in what they think is best . . . so strange.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
    souffoue
    (female)

souffoue HB User

Hi Gia and Kross,

My Dr. (saw him yesterday) told me that I can drive with the collar on (although I might use my soft collar to drive in). The laws must vary from state to state . . . . he said there is no law here that says you can't drive with a collar on. I figure in a few days I will just take a very slow drive around the neighborhood and see how I do. I go back to work (part-time) on May 31 and there is no way for me to get there unless I drive myself.

Closed Thread