It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Post ACDF - what determines collar?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
    souffoue
    (female)

souffoue HB User
    Post ACDF - what determines collar?

I am just curious as I have read some people have worn aspen collars post ACDF and others have not. Does anyone know what determines if a patient has to wear the collar? TIA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: Post ACDF - what determines collar?

There are several types of collars, not just the Aspen. Most of the time it is doctor preference when it comes to collar or no collar depending on the procedure. ACDF with internal fixaction can go either way, but I would definitely follow dr's orders if they have you in a collar.

There are studies available that follow the recovery of with and without collar in ACDFs.

My surgeon believes in collars, he said that he has excellent outcomes in his practice, he believes in giving the healing process every chance possible for success. Wearing a collar is far less inconvenient than a lifetime of potential problems.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
    OhioGolfer
    (male)

OhioGolfer HB User

Just to provide a competing circumstance -- I had 2 level ACDF (C4/5.C5/6) on February 7. Donor bone and internal plate. No collar, although I wore a soft collar at night for the first few weeks just to minimize inadvertent motion when I slept. I was in hospital about 36 hours. I spent two weeks at home, working remotely. Then caught rides to work for another three weeks, since I was not allowed to drive until March 14. I did a lot of walking but tried to be really careful about excess neck movement. Had to have another unrelated surgery on my neck in April, but I was released from care today, with the only restriction being no lifting over 40 pounds.

My pain is basically gone. I have had to endure the pain of the two surgeries, and some muscle spasms, but the neurologic pain is gone.

HTH

Jeff

Old 05-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
    souffoue
    (female)

souffoue HB User

Thanks for the responses. I had ACDF C6-C7 with a cadaver graft - FYI

Closed Thread