It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical Spine Issues and Cognitive problems anybody?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
    jbsim
    Veteran
    (female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User
    Cervical Spine Issues and Cognitive problems anybody?

I have a lot of problems going on with my cervical spine. I was wondering if problems with your spine could cause short term memory lose,not saying the right words and not learning like I used to. I feel brain damaged??? What could be causing this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Cervical Spine Issues and Cognitive problems anybody?

while anything is indeed possible with c spine issues this really does sound a bit more brain related unless something is actually impeding the blood flow to your brain that is IN the c spine/neck area.cognative functions are not usually part of any c spine problem in and of themselves,you know what i mean?but many facial and head problems can be related to the nerves running thru the areas.but your particular symptomology sounds more a brain type issue.or like i mentioned,a possible blood flow issue stemming from something inside more of the neck area itself and possibly not so much actual c spine,am i confusing you more here or actually making some sense?somtimes i confuse myself too so just asking?

have you ever actually had an MRI with contrast done on your brain?if not,i would very highly suggest having one done soon.this could possibly reveal the issue in some way.there are many possible problems both inside the brain itslef or in the blood flow areas that could be causeing cognative functions to become affected in some way.my youngest son suffered a severe brain injury due to trauma that caused a bleed in his frontal lobe.this really seriously affected his cognative functions and executive decision making abilities.it was pretty scarey there for awhile.he is thankfully doing much better now but it did leave behind some small impairments there.

its just the frontal lobe way up towards the front of your brain is actually where you would have to have some affectation to really have cognative impairments.this just doesn't sound like it could possibly be related to the c spine just because they are so very far apart,you know what i mean?BUT,like i said,a blood flow issue could possibly be an underlying contributer to this.that MRI really does just need to be done so you can rule in or out any brain issues at this point ya know?getting the MRI done really should be your main priority for the moment.you can also have a doppler ultrasound done on the vessels within the neck area to make sure everything is flowing as should be.they can check the velocity with this test.considering your symptoms it should probably be done at some point soon too.you just need to know whats going on inside that area in order to actually find the right Dx.

are you currently on any meds right now or recently started something new?when did you notice this 'brain' change?was it sudden onset or kind of a gradual thing that just slowly integrated itself there?i do wish you luck with this and hope you can find the reson so it can be dealt with.please keep me posted,Marcia

Old 05-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User

You didn't say in this post the nature of your C Spine problems? That might suggest what is going on.

There are arteries that travel through small openings in the cervical vertebrae, much like the various nerve branches have. These small openings can become constricted for the arteries, the same as a lot of us experience with our radicular problems. I have this situation on a couple of my vertebrae, but not bad enough yet to warrant surgery to open them up (I have had two ACDFs, C4/5/6/7, so far - but just to correct nerve impingement issues).

Another thing that can cause problems (although it seems pretty rare, from what I've read), is the carotid artery blood flow is often restricted during the ACDF procedure, when the retractors are put in while the surgeon works on the discs and spine. But this flow typically returns to normal soon after the retractors are removed.

If you do an internet search using key words like "cervical spine artery' you will find a lot of info.

Bottom line should be if you think you have a problem you should advise your medical 'team' - I wouldn't fool around too long with the symptoms you described!

Good Luck
    Bob

Old 05-07-2007, 07:30 AM   #4
    jbsim
    Veteran
    (female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User

I will talk to my doctor about this as soon as I can get back in to see him. Well anyways my neck problem started in Sept 06 and has been getting worse ever since with pain and numbness in arms & feet. The cognitive problems have been for the past month or so. I think it may be stress but I would rather be safe then sorry and check out other reasons for it. Thanks for your answers.

Closed Thread