It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Xanax and Pain Mgmt.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
    Escgirl
    (female)

Escgirl HB User
    Xanax and Pain Mgmt.

I have been having horrid anxiety and muscle spasms for 7 yrs. didn't really realize I had the anxiety problem... I guess I was always so focused on the pain ya know..... I had surgery on C4/5 NON fusion w/Dr. Reuter in Feb. 2003 and cured me of my HORRID headaches - haven't had one headache since my surgery.... we always knew that C5/6 area leaked a little back then and hoped to put my surgery off and only do one and see what happened.

well I have since moved and all kinds of things have been going on for me - and I have a new little one 15 months old anyway! I have recently been doing preliminary tests to see if the non fusion would work on my C5/6 for dr. reuter. When all of a sudden ONE dr. here after talking with MANY listened to me and gave me Xanax... I have never taken any type of anti depressant - or xanax type drug in my life.

I have been on it for ONE week tomorrow and I cannot tell you the amazing diff. it has made in my life. MY pain level is almost non existant - and I am ALIVE. I do things with my daughter now and feel like this is how life is supposed to be - its wonderful. I have no elated feeling from the drug - its just all of a sudden I feel like me - and that is just amazing.

My only thought now is - people don't like to give you this drug (from what I have read) for more than a month..... then what????? My life is great now - and I exercise, cook dinners, play with my daughter so much more - its a Blessing!!!!

Anyone else take this drug?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: Xanax and Pain Mgmt.

I have taken it and I really like it alot. Its an anti-anxiety drug, which is different than an anti-depressant. Unfortunately it is highly addicted, which is a real bummer. So is Valium, which helps me alot, too. I have the same questions as you have, as I have had spasms for 5 years straight and nothing else really helps them very much. I wonder if a person can take a small dose on a daily basis and it be OK? I need to ask my surgeon when I go back in July. I am going to NYC and DC in a week for 8 days and I taking my Valium with me due to the total running around I will be doing. (a real understatement). The thing is, if it helps you THAT much, maybe they will give you a smaller dose, which might help you (maybe not as much as the dose you take now), but its an improvement. If you find anything out, please post about it, ok?

Old 05-08-2007, 03:37 AM   #3
    tkb
    (female)

tkb HB User

hi skz, thanks for your advise, boy you do suffer dont you, but it seams you have your head screwed on, i think you should go into neurosurgery! I've tried diazepam which has now been stopped! pity really cos it did calm the muscle spasm, i take amitryptylin, have you tried it, it makes me kind of drowsy, its pretty strong, but god what else do you do to make life a little easier for yourself. Like you i get numb bum, etc i do wonder sometimes if i have the starts of ms, i dare not mention it to my spec as i feel they would think i'm paranoid. good luck with the trip

Old 05-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

You are sweet for the empathy! We all need it on here! Anyway, I did take the amitryptylin, but I hated it. They said it would help me sleep and help my pain. It did help me sleep, but it didnt help the pain. I guess it really couldnt help the pain of bone spurs, arthritis, and degenerative disks (all of which I didnt know I had when I took it). It made me tired all the time and it totally took away my libido. I was on it for about 3 months or so. I also took Topamax for nerve pain and it made me utterly non-functional, although I lost a ton of weight on it. (not worth it to me).
    The thing that helps me the most is the IMS (intra-muscular stimulation), where my PT pokes me dry needles and breaks the spasm. Also, if I dont do my neck stretches everyday, its not good. I heat up the neck and then do the stretches. I do some neck to shoulder ones that stretch the trapezius, which are the killers. I also do the one where you look down at an angle, halfway in between my chest and my shoulder (for the levators). They help ALOT. Have you had any surgery? (I cant recall). My surgery (ACDF c5-c7 in Jan) did help me ALOT. I was so much worse before.
    Do you use alot of heat for the spasms? Do you use muscle relaxers? The only one that doesnt space me out is called NORFLEX. Its a very mild one, but it takes the edge off the spasms. I think the thing that helps me the most, though is my hot tub. I also have a massage chair that is really helpful. What can you do? You make the best of things. Its annoying, but I am finally starting to face the reality. When I start back teaching in Aug., I am sure I will be facing more realities. oy. haha.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
    Escgirl
    (female)

Escgirl HB User

I was so non-functional before the Xanax - I am making an appt. with my family Dr. to see if I can go on Xanax permanently - or until my daughter is way older and I can do a surgery. I cannot believe the difference it has made in my life.

I feel like I am in my "own skin" again. And not that some other painful skin is all over my body, muscles etc. I know it sounds crazy to others when I say things like that - but I am sure most of you get what I am saying. The best thing about the drug is that I don't feel that it makes me high or sleepy or anything - all of a sudden - I am just "OK".... I am ME... Not a super me - or anything --- just me!! before my car accident - andI was pretty darn fun and wonderful and optimistic!!!! : )

Fingers are crossed I can stayon this med for my spasms I am sure they are the cause for most of my problems. Also, I take Ambien CR to sleep. Have to...... can't live without it.

will let you know what my dr. says - hope to get in by friday

Old 05-10-2007, 05:10 AM   #6
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Good Luck at the Dr. I am wondering if a person gets used to a certain dose and has to up the dose periodically. That could be a concern, too.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
    icejohnb
    (male)

icejohnb HB User

Oh Xanax!
    It has taken me 50 years to finally realize that, both my parents were anxiety ridden. They both had different symptoms. That I inheireted, lucky me! I knew nohing from anxiety though.
    I get ground into the pavement by the suv, almost 2 years ago. Lots of pain meds, lots of pain, surgeries as I have previously mentioned. No problems sleeping because of the large amounts of meds, and no Aspen collar.
    Bilevel ACDF is being scheduled. It takes along time to get everyone involved on board. Something like 3 or 4 months. Won't do it while the rest of me is healing. Rotator cuff, collarbone, ulnar nerve, etc.
    Staring at the ACDF I begin to get the "willys"! Never had such a major surgery. Always been told "Don't let them operate on your back, or neck". I'm so anxiety ridden I can't sleep, gastrointestinal problems. Its all bad! I go in for the pre,pre,pre-op visit with the NS. I tell the NS, because Ambien is free for 7 days we try that. Nothing! Pre, pre-op we try Rozerem, pre-op its Lunestra. All my ideas! Nothing helps my sleep/anxiety.
    10 day post-op visit, I must have looked like a "Zombie". The NS looks at me and says "Xanax works great for a lot of people". "Lets try it?" Woo Hoo!
    I would have never made it 16 weeks with the collar, worrying about the fusing, healing,tapering off of pain meds, etc.
    I continue on it. Because I will be anxiety ridden till I am fused, back in better shape, and feeling as good physically as I ever will.
    Making a short story long!
    Icejohn

Old 05-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
    Escgirl
    (female)

Escgirl HB User

HI all. I am hoping to help a lot of you before you have your have surgeries to give you some pain relief by posting about how much the xanax helps. Honestly - I cannot sit and type at the computer long still- and vacuum a million rugs/carpets or mop... but.... I can play with my daughter who is 15 months!! and throw frisbee and ball with our dog - and laugh again and dance.... I still have "some" pain but boy ---- what a difference. My pain mgmt. dr. visit got cancelled I am going on Wednesday now... my family dr. appt is tomorrow adn I will update you then - she is the one that put me on the xanax.

my dose right now is: 0.5mg take 1 or 2 daily as needed twice a day.

My question is / it seems like I need it every 6 hrs or so... or I start to get behind the or start the pain spasms again... so I have been taking 1 three times a day.... wondering what she will say about this... although it says I can take 4 a day.... for those of you who take it - how often and what are your strengths? maybe 2 pills every 8 hrs would be perfect for me????

Thanks for your opinions and input !!
    XXOO Escgirl

Old 05-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
    Escgirl
    (female)

Escgirl HB User

still wondering if any of you are taking xanax what is your dose and how often?

My family dr. said no problem with staying on it till my daughter is 3.5 and I feel better about doing the non-fusion surgery (can't lift more than 10lbs. for a month) so I am trying to do my best with waiting till she is older and can maybe understand that mommy can't pick her up for a little while. My pain was so awful that I was scheduled for next month - and so crazy with worry about how I was going to handle my daughter - I have zero family and friends in the area that we just moved to - so it would have been way too hard.... and now ... for now - xanax gave me my life back - my spasms are bleak compared to before - I am now living once again. but I will do my surgery (this is just a band aid) till I can seriously take care of the cause.... the disc.

xXOO To all
    esc girl

Old 05-20-2007, 05:57 AM   #10
    Escgirl
    (female)

Escgirl HB User

Is there anyone besides icejohn that uses Xanax for anxiety?? AND OR for pain mgmt.????/

I SOOOOOOOOOOO wish someone would have posted how much Xanax stops muscle spasms before - years before ..... this would have saved me so much money and agony. Botox shots in my neck and back worked - but only for a few weeks and NOT as GREAT as the xanax works...

so let me hear from ya out there!! I am hoping to help a lot of you in pain realize this could really help - and also you may not need pain meds?????

My burning in my neck/arm shoulder - and numbing pain, and weak left arm are ALLLLLLLLL better - so much better!!! and the pain between myshoulder blades and the pain general area of my neck....

XXOO to all

Old 05-22-2007, 10:27 AM   #11
    Clerklady
    (female)

Clerklady HB User

Wow, It sounds liek that is what I need. I take ultram to get through the day, but I can't sleep if I take it to late in the day. And then Valium at might before I go to bed, I hate it. But the epidural shots did not work, need to get another MRI soon to see my C6&7 have worsened. I did find that Melatonin really works to help get some sleep. It is an over the counter natural thing. I did just try the Melatonin and did not take the valium for two nights and woke up with a spams the size of Missouri. I do had some other issues to that maybe the xanax will help with, the mid life womenly issues...Thanks for the info. Denise

Old 05-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #12
    Escgirl
    (female)

Escgirl HB User

Denise - give the xanax a try. If they are giving you the other stuff - they should easily let you switch and try it. I take Ambien CR at night around 7pm and am in bed by 930-10pm.... Ambien seemed to help my spasms as well - I think I was so Hyper and charged up from chronic pain and also the perimenopause symptoms didn't help me either.....

Good Luck and I hope it helps - its been a miracle worker for me! And the Birth Control Pill Seasonale has super helped too ---- but NOTHING touched me in the phase of pain mgmt. than the Xanax.... NOTHING and I have tried EVERYTHING.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #13
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Xanax is highly addictive and is considered a controlled substance. As such, most responsible physicians will only allow it for a short course of treatment. Longer courses of treatment with Xanax are possible in cases of terminal illness, severe injury/illness, etc.

Keep in mind if you are taking Xanax you should avoid driving or activities with machinery or that require precision. If you have an accident and they determine you ahve xanax in your blood it can be considered "driving under the influence of a controlled substance".

Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #14
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

I work with a man who was a race car driver and was in a terrible wreck.
    Multiple surgeries and multiple drugs. He is addicted to Xanax. He says he and his DR.s have tried weaning him off for the last 2 years but tapering down to a minimal dose causes motor function problems, facial tics and agoraphobia.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #15
    PE Teacher
    (female)

PE Teacher HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Escgirl View Post
    I have been having horrid anxiety and muscle spasms for 7 yrs. didn't really realize I had the anxiety problem... I guess I was always so focused on the pain ya know..... I had surgery on C4/5 NON fusion w/Dr. Reuter in Feb. 2003 and cured me of my HORRID headaches - haven't had one headache since my surgery.... we always knew that C5/6 area leaked a little back then and hoped to put my surgery off and only do one and see what happened.

well I have since moved and all kinds of things have been going on for me - and I have a new little one 15 months old anyway! I have recently been doing preliminary tests to see if the non fusion would work on my C5/6 for dr. reuter. When all of a sudden ONE dr. here after talking with MANY listened to me and gave me Xanax... I have never taken any type of anti depressant - or xanax type drug in my life.

I have been on it for ONE week tomorrow and I cannot tell you the amazing diff. it has made in my life. MY pain level is almost non existant - and I am ALIVE. I do things with my daughter now and feel like this is how life is supposed to be - its wonderful. I have no elated feeling from the drug - its just all of a sudden I feel like me - and that is just amazing.

My only thought now is - people don't like to give you this drug (from what I have read) for more than a month..... then what????? My life is great now - and I exercise, cook dinners, play with my daughter so much more - its a Blessing!!!!

Anyone else take this drug?
    I haven't had xanax but recently got lorazapam and it is such a relief to just have it available that I don't get as anxious. Kaiser insurance is great -- once it is determined you need it the Doc doesn't make me come in every 2 weeks to get more -- 150 at a time -- lasts for months.

Closed Thread