It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cord Compression, Tremors, Neuro Questions, Please?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-14-2007, 07:17 AM   #1
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User
    Cord Compression, Tremors, Neuro Questions, Please?

Hi,

I have felt pretty discouraged and am looking for some input from those who have time "under their belt" after surgery due to cord compression that had neuro symptoms. I am only 7 weeks post-op ACDF, donor bone, plate & screws, C 6-7, had cord compression.

I am able to manage pain okay. I am just so tired of my agitated nervous system. It feels like it's racing all the time, have arm and/or leg tremors, twitching etc. My NS always prefaces with..."assuming your cord compression was the problem...it could take months for things to settle down."

I know we're all different. But just trying to get a feel from others that experienced the tremoring and nervousness feeling. Did it finally improve? Were some of you still feeling this way at 7 weeks post-op? I have periods of time where I feel a little better, then I'll have several hours or days where I don't see any improvement. It all gets rather discouraging sometimes.

On the bright side...I feel much more sure footed than I did a year ago when I ended up in the ER due to barely being able to place my feet one ahead of the other to walk I am trying to focus on progress. But as many of you know, it can be hard sometimes. I appreciate input. Thanks. Mona

Last edited by monarog; 05-14-2007 at 07:19 AM. Reason: typo....I hate those!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2007, 07:59 AM   #2
    DELTA 22
    (female)

DELTA 22 HB User
    Re: Cord Compression, Tremors, Neuro Questions, Please?

I had read you other post and was wondering how you are doing. I have the samethings going on as you do. I have nerve zaps and twitches all over my body. My legs hurt and my feet burn. I will have surgery on the 30th and my NS isnt sure the surgery will correct all this... he said its 50/50. Either way I need the surgery. I have 3 bones spurs against my cord at 3 different levels but he cant be sure this is causing all the nerve junk going on.

My PCP had thought it might be MS...but my brain MRI was clear. So as of now I'll have the surgery and hope this will help.... if I dont improve my NS said he will send me to a neurologist.

My nerves fire all over my body, leftside, rightside, legs, arms . Even in my pivate area it seems to hit my thighs the hardest...like someone stabs me there.

I hope you feel better soon and this surgery does help you.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
    icejohnb
    (male)

icejohnb HB User

Mona,
    I believe somewhere on this site it was said "nerves heal slowly". I am 2 days away from 9 months, with the bilevel, no hardware, donated bone. There is a front moving thru today! I hurt everywhere. The right side of my neck hurts, and it never did! I know that it is healing tho! I realize I had a very invasive surgery.
    I still have the cell phone vibrating somewhere, sometime, all over my body. When I get fatigued I begin to drag my right foot, again... I had minimal cord compression!
    Anxiety,and Stress! I've got enough for everybody on this site. Last week the NS said I was 75-80% fused. It has slowed down. He said that happens a lot. I want to know how much pain I will have to adjust to? The NS said "you will find out when fusion is almost complete".
    I feel much better now than I did 10 months ago! I'm hoping that in the next 10 months I feel even better. I put that in the back of my head tho, meanwhile its day by day!
    I take my Xanax,the last script I am on. Think about doing as much as I can each day. Take out the garbage, take a walk, mow the grass, go shopping! Vacation in a couple months! The first one in 7 years.
    Go slow, see your Doc, walk a little, take your meds, take it easy!
    Later,
    Ice

Old 05-15-2007, 05:47 AM   #4
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

I had a laminectomy instead of ACDF for my cord compression. Many of my problems - balance, dropping things, etc. went away quickly, but some coldness, numbness, tremors and gait (walking) issues were much slower - I'm 20m post surgery and am at about 90% ok except for the gait issues. My right ring finger triggers a bit, but increasingly less!! and sometimes my right foot gets cold. A july 06 MRI did show that I probably have some permanent damage in the cord. I have had recent improvement in the gait as well.

I basically do everything within reason - golf, tennis, etc. although I did tell hubby that I will probably never ski again.

Every body is different - hang in there - stay positive.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

Thanks you guys for taking time to post. I really am trying to stay positive. It's just when I get hit really hard with the tremors, nervousness, twitching, tingling and all the rest it really can make me feel awful - of course, that was how I was feeling when I posted! This AM is a little better; though it seems like it can change literally hourly.

It's so nice to get input from people who understand and can least share their experiences. This board really has been such a help for me. Wishing you guys continued recovery. I am hopeful that as time passes I will improve and be able to encourage others who are early in this very humbling journey.

Take Care.
    Mona

Old 05-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Hi I am post acdf c4/5 18 mo and post decompression c6/7 4 yrs. Hate to say it but, my arms still twitch, I still get the electric jolts down my fingers, I am not in the amount of pain I was before surgery yet it is still present every day all day. I expected some neck and shoulder pain but never the pain and weakness I continue to have in my arms and hands. My doctor did another MRI but is not optomistic that anything else can be done. He just tells me it is what it is. I am still working full time but am considering a medical disability if it continues because my lower back is getting worse and worse too.

Good side is I can still workout with weights, walk, do some jogging, ride my horses and mostly play with my little boy. But, always a but, I am dead on my feet by 7pm and do not sleep well but try between 8-9pm. I pay for the play and exercise but have to live......................Kelly

Old 05-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
    djl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Hi
    I am 6 months post op ACDF c5-c7, also having cord compression and having tremor problems also. Had them before surgery as well, for at least a few years. It is freaky.
    I was told a Residual nerve problem?? At least that is what my PT told me. She is hoping it will go away. I dont think it will.
    I still suffer with some pain in my arm, in my neck, have to get injections before PT in my neck, and I tell yah, I should work Accu-weather, I am better then the meteologists.
    I know what you are going through

Old 05-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
    neckhurtin
    (female)

neckhurtin HB User

////////////////////////////

Last edited by neckhurtin; 10-17-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #9
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

Thanks guys for information and well-wishes. As I said before, I am not as sick as I was a year ago, when just walking was crazy and difficult. Each day and hour things change up. I am trying to look at progress week to week rather than day to day. My tremors are a little better one day and then it hits hard the next, it's weird. I am sorry you guys are still having residual stuff after so long. My pain level is only slightly better than prior to surgery, the crazy neuro stuff continues - one day my arm feels week, the next day it's all about my foot. My racing, twitchy, hyped-up nervous system is really my biggest complaint. I am on zero meds, other than Ibuprofen. I see my NS tomorrow for x-ray and follow up and will ask him if there's any med that might help calm things down a bit as I'm getting pretty tired of this charged up feeling that I just can't shake. Sometimes my nerves are racing so bad I just can't get to sleep or if I do sleep, it can wake me up. I hope you guys see improvement...I am told some of this stuff can take a long, long time to improve. So I guess what I'm saying is try to remain hopeful - easy to say - hard to do sometimes, I know. Thanks again. Mona

Old 05-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Not sure what you may be taking for pain but, for me, any long term use (more than a few days) of percocet/vicodin/oxycontin/etc causes me to have some of the symptoms you mentioned. I just had knee surgery 5/18/07 and after 3 days of vicodin the symtpoms re-appeared. I take some valium when I need to take pain meds just to counteract the side effects.

Closed Thread