It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Severed Nerve

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
    o0o_dana_o0o
    (female)

o0o_dana_o0o HB User
    Question Severed Nerve

My niece is 14 and had a car accident recently. She has lost all use of her left arm, but not her left hand. After several trips to the doctors, today we were told she will never regain use of her arm. The nerve root is detatched from the spinal cord. Is this something she will have to learn to live with, or does she have options her doctors don't care to persue?

nerve root avulsion
    affected nerves: C6 & C7

Last edited by o0o_dana_o0o; 05-18-2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: for MRI results

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User
    Re: Severed Nerve

Hi Dana, I can give a difinite answer to that question but I can tell you about my experience with severed nerves. Just about 24 yrs. ago, I was in a very bad car wreck which broke my right arm completely into and the turn signal went all the way through my left hand. The sensatory nerve in my right arm was severed into when my arm was broken and several nerves were severed in my left hand from where there was a hole left in my hand. I was told the feelings would come back but that has never happened and now it has caused even bigger problems for me. As far as my right arm and hand are concerned you can cut it, burn it or even stick something into it I will never even feel it. The only way I can tell something is real hot or real cold is it will sting real bad and my left hand is the same way. So I don't know for sure what to tell you, I just wish her all the luck in the world and hope they can do something for her because she's so young. But then again I was only 19 at the time myself and had to give up on my dream of becoming an accountant due to the sufficent injury to my right arm (it was never the same after the accident.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
    o0o_dana_o0o
    (female)

o0o_dana_o0o HB User

That's awful and so permenant. She was going to be in volley ball and try out for cheerleading. She is crushed.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
    rayefaye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rayefaye HB User

I'm sorry to hear that's she's going through something like this at a early age especially when she should be out enjoying herself. Also 4 yrs ago I started having problems with my left arm when I was diagnosed with nerve damage in my arm. It would hurt so bad to use my left arm at all that it got to the point it drew up to the point where my left hand touched my left shoulder and it is permanently this way. So I understand her situation about not being to use her arm, I will never be able to use my left arm again. So my thoughts and prayers go out to her in hopes that maybe someone will be able to help her in someway to regain a normal life.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
    o0o_dana_o0o
    (female)

o0o_dana_o0o HB User

thank you rayefaye for your replys. i'll keep u in my prayers.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

So sorry to hear about your neice,really,it must be just awful for all of you who love her and care about her.what you mentioned about the use and the damage does correlate as the arm movements are within that level but the fine motor,which innervates the actual hand for the most part,runs at a very different nerve.so this does make alot of sense.i actually have just the opposite in my left.i lost the fine motor but have thankfully retained the use of the arm.has she actually been to see a physiatrist for possible rehab for what she has left there?this is the very best type of doc to see for her issues,really.my physiatrist made it possible for me to actually walk again and get back as much as humanly possible within my left hand functions.i could do really nothing with it at all right after my spinal cord surgery damaged it.

i don't know how long ago her actual injury was,but she should be starting some level of PT very soon.mine started within three weeks of my surgey.i was transferred from one hospital right directly to a great rehab hospital for acute rehab.and it WAS actute,but i did gain back sooo much that i just assumed was lost forever.this really should be her next step.the earlier this part starts the better.muscles just start to atrophy so very quickly after a nerve injury or loss,what she can get back will depend on how really extreme this is and how much she is willing to actually put into PT.

one big thing here you need to remember tho,is she is still young and very adaptable to things since she is still in the learning phase of her life.kids are just soooo much more resiliant than most adults and do adapt to things much better the younger they are when something tragic like this happens,so she DOES have this going for her and believe me,it is huge right now.the best thing YOU and the rest of her family can do for her is just support the heck out of her.honestly,just knowing you have the full support of your entire family in this type of situation is sooo huge,it really can make the difference in how well she adapts and recovers from this.just be there for her and encourage her.that is crucial for her right now trust me.

I wish her and the rest of her family all the luck in the world with getting her back to whatever normal will be for her.she can do alot with what she has left it will just take some hard work and dedication to getting it back as much as possible.PLEASE keep us all posted here on how she is doing,K i really do want to know.hang in there,marcia

Closed Thread