It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Driving and hard collar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
    souffoue
    (female)

souffoue HB User
    Driving and hard collar

Just curious who drove while wearing the Aspen collar? My doctor tells me it is okay to drive as long as I am comfortable driving, can focus on driving and not focus on my neck and am not taking narcotics. I just don't understand how a person can drive when they can't turn their head completely?? I start back to work (part time) on May 31 (surgery was 4/19) and I really don't have any other way to get there but myself. Thinking I might wear the soft collar while driving . . . .

I know this was somewhat addressed in one of my other posts but I really wanted to get a good idea of how many people did or didn't drive with the hard collar. Thanks!

Last edited by souffoue; 05-20-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User
    Re: Driving and hard collar

i drove one day to physical therapy with my collar on and my P/T saw me and sternly told me to take the collar off! He said I would be more prone to get in an accident with the collar on driving, so quit driving or quit the collar driving... is what he said to me.(dr had approved driving without collar I was trying to be cautious by using the collar as you get very nervous about your neck after surgery.

It is hard driving with the collar unless you loosen it up to turn head and then what is the point of wearing the collar?

Old 05-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

There was no way I could drive safely with the collar on. I had the collar on for 6 weeks and did not drive at all during that time. I think driving with a collar makes it dangerous for you and those around you. How long is the doctor saying you need to wear the collar? Can you put off returning to work? I wet back to work about 4 days after I got the collar off.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
    ~Ro
    (female)

~Ro HB User

Never tried it, not even with a soft collar. I didn't have to go back to work so that was a non issue. Driving is tough even waiting as long as I did, which I FINALLY do (16 weeks post op) to get to the PT. The roads here in the mountains are so crazy, you almost have to be the exorcist child to turn to see if anybody is coming. I would think the collar would hinder my seeing what's around me more, let alone chaff in areas there had been none. Just my 2 cents.

Ro

Old 05-20-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
    DELTA 22
    (female)

DELTA 22 HB User

In the state I live.. it is illegal to drive with the hard collar on.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
    souffoue
    (female)

souffoue HB User

kross - I have to wear the collar for one to two more months and I return to work on the 31st. The Dr. told me I could drive with the collar on and that it was not illegal in my state - although I might check in to that myself.

I think what I will do is drive with the soft collar on and then put the hard collar on when I get to work. I drove with the soft collar for two months and didn't have any problems.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Closed Thread