HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Spinal Cord Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/)
-   -   Thoracic spinal fusion - expected mobility (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/502994-thoracic-spinal-fusion-expected-mobility.html)

lm123 05-28-2007 10:28 AM

Thoracic spinal fusion - expected mobility

Hi - my doctor has recently recommended thoracic spinal fusion for kyphosis. I have minimal pain but the curve is progressing (approx. 70 degrees) and I am in my 40's.

I have a lot of questions before proceeding with this surgery and would very much like to hear from people who have had this done - rather than just taking my doctor's word for it.

Mainly - what is the lack of mobility/flexibility people may have experienced. I play golf, horseback ride, do yoga, go hiking, swim, etc. and was wondering if I can expect to continue to be as athletic after surgery.

Also - what is the recovery like and have people tried other options - other than surgery.

Thanks so much.

char47 05-28-2007 08:33 PM

Re: Thoracic spinal fusion - expected mobility

[QUOTE=lm123;3009758]Hi - my doctor has recently recommended thoracic spinal fusion for kyphosis. I have minimal pain but the curve is progressing (approx. 70 degrees) and I am in my 40's.

I have a lot of questions before proceeding with this surgery and would very much like to hear from people who have had this done - rather than just taking my doctor's word for it.

Mainly - what is the lack of mobility/flexibility people may have experienced. I play golf, horseback ride, do yoga, go hiking, swim, etc. and was wondering if I can expect to continue to be as athletic after surgery.

Also - what is the recovery like and have people tried other options - other than surgery.

Thanks so much.[/QUOTE]

Hi There. I am new to this so I hope I am in the right place to respond to your question. I had spinal fusion in Sept of 06. Mechanically it's great. however, I create a huge amount of scar tissue. So now they want to put in a spinal stimulator. I'm not sure about doing that I have had 4 back surgeries so I am losing all hope of being out of pain.

Erika01 06-06-2007 02:58 PM

Hi - I had my T11,T12, and L1 vertebrae fused together in March 2005 after a snowmobiling accident. I spent 3 months in a back brace. I weaned myself off the pain killers after about 2 weeks. I then started walking on a treadmill and was lifting light weights. After the 3 mos. my PT and personal trainer got me on an exercise program to rebuild my core strength (abs/lower back) which was gone. I do not bend or twist my back at all. I bend at the hips. After 3 months in a back brace you get used to not bending or twisting your back - now it just seems normal to me. I work out at gym religiously and I am at about 85% of what I was before my accident. I continue to snowmobile, I just need to stand up so my back isn't jarred by any rough terrain. I have taken really good care of myself since and have followed all dr's orders and I am pain free. I have a friend who had 6 vertebrae fused after a snowmobiling accident and has not followed Dr.'s orders and he seems to be in a lot of pain. The spinal fusion wasn't too bad. Human beings are really good at adapting!

Erika01 06-06-2007 03:02 PM

PS - my physical therapist said that she could teach me a relatively safe golf swing (I had wanted to take up golf before my accident) but I didn't take her up on that offer. I don't think it is something I should do. I have also looked into yoga. It seems that there are a number of poses that do not require bending or twisting of the back. I plan to work individually with an instructor to tailor a program for me.