It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Any alternatives to surgery??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
    Any alternatives to surgery??

Hi everyone.... My NS wants to do surgery but I am so scared since I am not guaranteed relief and the surgery just sounds so scary. At any rate I was wondering if any of you have temporary relief with something else such as injections or PT.? I have large bone spurs on both side of c4 and c5, I also have spinal cord compression, narrowing and stenosis.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Alex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: Any alternatives to surgery??

I had bone spurs and degenerative disks at C5- C7. Those bone spurs killed me. Once I got them removed (in Jan.), I was so much better. I really am so glad I had the fusion. I dont see any other way to get relief from bone spurs. I had every injection possible, including radiofrequency rhizotomy. None of which helped the bone spur pain. I finally gave it all up and had the surgery. I only wish I had it a few years ago. It would have saved me several years of horrible pain and stress. I also did PT endlessly.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:39 AM   #3
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

SkZ,

Can you tell me a little about your experience, how they did the surgery, what was involved. It wounds like I have the same exact thing. Is it an ACDF, did they go in throught eh back or front?

Thanks
    Alex

Old 06-04-2007, 07:34 AM   #4
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I had an ACDF C5-C7 and they went in thru the front. I had in in Jan. You can hardly see my scar anymore. It is kind of right side center...2 " across. I was one of these people that tried everything for 5 years straight. I had at least 10 different injections and every one of them, I had to go to an outpatient surgical center and have an IV. Some injections helped more than others. The problem was that I had disk problems (degenerative) and I had facet joint and spur problems too. So if they would do an epidural injection, it would help the disk but not the arthritis part. If they would do facet injections, it would help the joints but not the disks. This whole time I had bad upper back and neck spasms. My muscles were "guarding" my neck by going into spasm. (very common). I still have spasms and knots, which are better but not gone. But the pain of the spurs is gone and that was BAD. The only problem I have with mobility now is looking up. That hurts. But I was warned about that ahead of time. So when I get my hair washed at the salon, I have to kneel forward on that chair into the sink. Its not a big deal. Before surgery, the head back position killed anyway. I have to do neck and upper body stretches everyday (which I did before) or else I get pretty stiff. I think alot of my neck stuff stems from a bad fall I took on the ice, 6 1/2 yrs. ago. I also have sacrum issues from the fall. Its all kind of related and affects the posture and causes spasms. I didnt have much stenosis, only mild. I do have numb hands, mostly when sleeping..so I wear wrist braces, which work great. They never did determine if it was from the neck or Carpal Tunnel. (long story). The surgery wasnt too bad. I have had alot of surgery (various stuff) and this one was not horrible for me. I didnt wear a neck brace. I am 51 yrs. old and have no kids around the house anymore, so my recuperation was faily easy.

Last edited by SKZ; 06-04-2007 at 07:35 AM.

Closed Thread