It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• post ACDF and L'Hermitt's sign

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
    julie10
    (female)

julie10 HB Userjulie10 HB Userjulie10 HB User
    post ACDF and L'Hermitt's sign

I am 6 mos post two level ACDF (5/6 & 6/7) w/artificial disks, titanium plates, etc. The surgery seemed like a success in that the numbness in my arms and the pain in my neck & shoulders has disappeared. However just as I was finishing up my PT about 6 weeks ago, I started to have weird vibrations in my legs. Also, the L'Hermitte's started then: when I lower my chin, I get electric impulses going down my legs. I have been back my neuorologist, who wanted to rule out MS. I have had MRIs of my entire back, X-rays of my neck w/extension 7 flexion, and EVPs - the only abnormalcy I had was a slowing of response time between my legs and the surgery site, according to the neurologist. My neurosurgeon is at a loss to explain it, and wants to do a myleogram next. In the meantime, I am also getting tingling/numbness on my right side-primarily in my leg, but also in my arm and sometimes over the top of my head. I know recovery from this surgery takes time. I am only partially fused; my NS won't put a % on it for me. I have been put on Lyrica to help with the symptoms - it's too early to tell if it will make a difference, but it just adds drowziness to my already fatigued body!

I'm wondering if anyone else has presented with L'Hermitte's following ACDF surgery - will it just go away? My husband and I are concerned that my surgeon isn't telling us the whole story somehow, and are considering going to Mayo Clinic to get a good work-up. Are we just being paranoid??

I posted here a few times after my surgery, but then when I started with the MS-like symptoms, I moved over to that board. Given that they are telling me this is orginating at my surgery site, I would appreciate any feedback you other post-surgery folks might have to offer!! Thanks in advance!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
    settingsons
    (male)

settingsons HB User
    Re: post ACDF and L'Hermitt's sign

Julie,

Sorry to hear you having problems. I posted earlier today in a seperate thread as I continue to have leg problems which I had for several years before my ACDF surgery (End Jan 2007). I cannot offer much advice but to say I had the L'Hermitte sensation for several years before surgery. I cannot reproduce it in any obvious fashion other when I read for more than 30 seconds my legs go weak and overtime burn and ache. This is sill the case even after surgery. I am still undergoing tests and if I have any news I will let you know in case it helps you.

Best wishes.

Closed Thread