It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Anyone have endoscopic surgery...?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
    Anyone have endoscopic surgery...?

I have read a lot about laser endoscopic spinal surgery and am wondering if anyone has tried it. I only see a few Dr's that do it and was thinking of traveling if it's worth it. ANy suggestions???
    Thanks
    Alex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: Anyone have endoscopic surgery...?

What kind of spinal surgery? I know that I've heard of success with endoscopic discectomy or laminectomy.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:35 AM   #3
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I've seen it on a few sites, one is Micro Spine. It looks as if they do every aspect of the spine and cervical spine. I am looking for someone in the NY area but cannot find one. This particular place is in Florida. It's actually done on an outpatient basis, and it says they do stenosis, arthritis etc...
    I'm so interested in this except it's so far and I don't know anyone who has done this less invasive procedure.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

There seem to be many sites that list minimally invasive spine surgery. I know there is a facility in AZ that offers this - maybe search with the terminology minimally invasive spine surgery

Old 06-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #5
    bw67
    (male)

bw67 HB User

if you want to stay near your area, I'm pretty sure Dr Jho in/near Pittsburgh does the type of procedures you're referring to...

in addition to travel concerns, a lot of the minimally invasive doctors don't take insurance...

if you really research and dig, you can probably find others in your area that do endoscopic procedures.

good luck

Old 06-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User

I know I was not a candidate acc. to my surgeon for minimally invasive. I have to say that my incision is not too big (about 1 inch in the front of my neck) and my recovery (all considered) has been fairly quick. I had acdf c5/6 donor bone, plate, screws.

Lisa

Old 06-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
    moonchaser
    (female)

moonchaser HB User

Lisa,
    With your acdf was yours one level or two, and how long was it before you were able to go back to work? I ask because you have symptoms similar to mine and sounds like you're recovering well.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moonchaser View Post
    Lisa,
    With your acdf was yours one level or two, and how long was it before you were able to go back to work? I ask because you have symptoms similar to mine and sounds like you're recovering well.
    Hi, Moon,

I had one level ACDF c5-6. I went back to work after 3 wks. I guess I could have gone back after 2 if I really pushed it -- it was the right decision for me to take three off. I am recovering very well. I have no more pain at all except for some mild aching after a long day (no need to take pain meds tho). My neuro symptoms are much improved (like clumsiness) but I still have some mild numbness/tingling in my hand and foot (which may never go away given my spinal cord compression). I can lift 30lbs (2 mos after surgery) and was given the ok to play tennis (although I haven't yet - am going to give it more time). I feel pretty much normal. But the initial time after the surgery was kind of rough - I had a lot of pain, nausea, vomiting, fever.

HTH some,
    Lisa

Old 06-15-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
    alex12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poopoopadoop View Post

But the initial time after the surgery was kind of rough - I had a lot of pain, nausea, vomiting, fever.

HTH some,
    Lisa
    Hi Lisa...
    I am looking at the same thing...C5and 6... Can I ask why you had nausea and fever? What is the pain? ALso did you have severe cord compression? One more thing, do you have any trouble swallowing or lump in the throat feeling? I already have an issue witht hat so I am so scared that this will compound it.

Thanks so much
    Alex

Old 06-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #10
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User

Ok, the pain after the surgery was a different pain than before. It was very bad for about a week, then better each week after. I'd say I had very little pain at week 3. I had a lot of nausea and vomiting after - probably from the pain meds and anesthesia. And I ran a low grade fever for 2-3 weeks. I am sure that that is unusual, so don't get worried. I would expect pain and discomfort that will improve week by week. I am 99% well at this point. I never take pain meds anymore. I can do just about everything I did before. I had severe cord compression, so I had no choice but to have surgery.

Take care,
    Lisa

Old 06-15-2007, 06:41 PM   #11
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User

Oh, also, I did have trouble swallowing for about 3 weeks (maybe longer) after surgery. I know by week 5 it was pretty much gone. It is now completely gone. Get a pill crusher (although you can't crush narcotics). And a tip- anything you need to eat will go down easier if it is in liquid or if you drink with eating.
    Lisa

Old 06-15-2007, 06:54 PM   #12
    moonchaser
    (female)

moonchaser HB User

Lisa,
    Can you elaborate on what it was like for you when you returned to work too since we have your attention? This concerns me greatly, as I have a 2 hour drive to work each morning. Did driving hurt? Did you go back part time, then up to full time, etc? I appreciate you sharing your experiences!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #13
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User

Hi,
    I actually went back to my mostly full schedule (25 hrs instead of my usual 30). I sit a lot on my job and only have to drive 5 miles. It wasn't bad at all, just somewhat tiring and some aching. I actually hadn't driven at all before my 1st day of work, so that might be something to consider. I really don't know if I could have driven 2 hours each way. I'd say it probably would have felt like too much for me after week 3. Again, just my experience. Each week got much better, i.e., week 4 was much easier than week 3 and so on. I would strongly suggest seeing if you could do part time initially. I also had the attitude that if I pushed myself too much, it could hinder recovery. BTW, I didn't have to wear a collar (just a soft collar as needed). I think if you would have to wear a hard collar, it would be very hard to resume work as usual.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moonchaser View Post
    Lisa,
    Can you elaborate on what it was like for you when you returned to work too since we have your attention? This concerns me greatly, as I have a 2 hour drive to work each morning. Did driving hurt? Did you go back part time, then up to full time, etc? I appreciate you sharing your experiences!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #14
    RTR1944
    (male)

RTR1944 HB User

To Kross426

I'm also from Phoenix. Who are you referring to for minimally invasive techniques?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #15
    bw67
    (male)

bw67 HB User

I don't know where you're at in your search, but I had an endoscopic procedure done in Florida last August to repair disc herniations at C5/6 and C6/7...

With Dr. Merrill Reuter at Advanced Orthopaedics of South Florida, in Lake Worth, FL about 15 minutes or so from West Palm Beach...

One of the best things about Reuter was he was in network with my insurance. A lot of minimally invasive doctors don't take insurance at all.

I wrote about it at length in two posts- NON FUSION OPTION and STILL LOVING NON FUSION. You should still be able to find them on this site...

Every condition is different, and everyone has their reasons for choosing fusion or non fusion. That being said, nearly one year after my surgery I am still very happy that I chose the non fusion route...

Good Luck

bw

Closed Thread