It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 1 year out from ACDF, HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
    texredbird
    (female)

texredbird HB User
    1 year out from ACDF, HELP!

Hey guys, long time no post....sorry bout that, lots of other "issues" with the family.
    I hope you guys are all doing as well as can be expected. Refresher course on my deal. ACDF in june last year. At the 6 month mark, fusion incomplete and the MRI results were posted earlier. Bottom line, NS said the radiologist "overread" the results, not to worry everything was on course.
    Current.... couple months ago started having some muscle type pain with movement of my neck... still having muscle jerks and twitching. THen about 2 weeks ago began having muscle spasms... charlie horses ... cramps... not sure how you would describe it..but they are debilitating at times. I've had to pull off the road a few times, trouble sleeping...and so on. Oh yeah... the cramps are in my upper and lower back...mostly upper, around my rib cage and abdomen and sometimes my hands and feet. I had my 1 year xrays and the results according to the NS's office... complete fusion, no need for follow-up. Well, I can't believe that I took her message to heart....lol. I had to go to the hospital to pick up some other test results and decided to ask for a copy of the xray report... it reads as follows...
    There has been anterior surgical fusion of the c4, c5 and c6 segments incorporating anterior metal plate and screws. There is a greater than expected zone of radiolucency around the screws at the c5 level, raising the possibility of motion. Flexion and extension are severely limited with widening of the interspinous space at the c4-c5 and c5-c6 levels between extension and flexion.
    Impression:
    Evidence of motion at the fused c4-c5, c5-c6 levels as described above.

What in the world does this mean???? Did I not fuse???? I called the NS's office and asked the lady.... Did the Doc actually read this report or was his message to me based on HIS reading of the films? They called me back and scheduled a CT scan for wednesday. Anyone out there have any idea what this means.... the thought of having to repeat is just nerve shattering... no pun intended.
    Axiously awaiting your input!
    Thanks, Robin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: 1 year out from ACDF, HELP!

Well, it apears to me that it may be saying that it did not fully fuse - or maybe that during fusion it moved. That may be just a way of saying it's not in the exact same position it was when xrayed soon after surgery. Let us know what they say.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:55 AM   #3
    whatever2
    (male)

whatever2 HB User
    Re: 1 year out from ACDF, HELP!

Just completed my 1 year anniversary visit to surgeon. Had 4-5,5-6, 6-7 with corpectomy. I am completely fused. Plate, screws and cage have not moved and I was released to do anything I want except contact sports. I'm still experiencing numb fingers and heat pain in my leg and foot but overall I have come a long way since the limping days of pre-surgery. Oh yes, I still have that lump in my thoat and have to eat very slowly. I have lost about 20 lbs from all the walking and dietary changes. Good luck to everyone out there and remember that this is a long process sometimes.

Larry

Closed Thread