It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Help...need help deciphering MRI results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
    taylorLamont
    (female)

taylorLamont HB User
    Unhappy Help...need help deciphering MRI results

Hello All,

I can't get an appt until August and have so much pain...was hoping someone could help me understand these results.

FINDINGS:
    There is straightening of the cervical lordosis. The craniocervical junction is normal.
    The C3-4 intervertebral disc demonstrates a small posterior protrusion producing a moderate impression upon the thecal sac without cord contact.
    The C4-5 intervertebral disc demonstrates a small posterior protrusion producing moderate impression upon the thecal sac near the midline.
    The C5-6 intervertebral disc space demonstrates moderate loss of height and residual intervertebral disc material demonstrates a small to moderate broadly based posterior protrusion which along with mild posterior vertebral end plate degenerative bony hypertrophy results in a moderate impression upon the thecal sac without cord compression.
    There is moderate uncinate joint and articular facet joint degenerative hypertrophy with the moderate right and mild left C5-6 neural foraminal narrowung.
    The C6-7 intervertebral disc demonstates a moderate broad based posterior protrusion producing a moderate impression upon the thecal sac and resulting in slight cord contact.
    There is mild degenerative narrowing of the left C6-7 neural foramen.
    The C7-T1 intervertebral disc demonstrates no evidence of protrusion. The cervical spinal cord is normal.

Conclusion:
    1) Small to moderate C3-4 through C6-7 intervertebral disc posterior protrusions.
    2) Mild to moderate narrowing of cervical neural foramina.
    3) Normal cervical spinal cord.

Symptoms: I have chronic PAIN and numbness from neck all the way down to leg.

Thank you so much in advance for any and all insights.

Taylor

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: Help...need help deciphering MRI results

I need to get off the computer, but I'll try to do a fly by here. I know what it is like to wait!

There is straightening of the cervical lordosis. The craniocervical junction is normal.
    The C3-4 intervertebral disc demonstrates a small posterior protrusion producing a moderate impression upon the thecal sac without cord contact.

NOTE: LORDOSIS IS THE CURVE OF NECK. STRAIGHTENING CAN BE MECHANICAL OR CAUSED BY SPASMS. THECAL SAC SURROUNDS THE SPINAL CORD. THEY SAID SMALL PROTRUSION, THIS IS PROBABLY DISC OR OSTEOPHYTE *BONE SPUR* , DON'T KNOW WHY THEY WEREN'T SPECIFIC. POSTERIOR IS TOWARD THE BACK SIDE OF THE SPINE.

The C4-5 intervertebral disc demonstrates a small posterior protrusion

NOTE: SAME

The C5-6 intervertebral disc space demonstrates moderate loss of height and residual intervertebral disc material demonstrates a small to moderate broadly based posterior protrusion which along with mild posterior vertebral end plate degenerative bony hypertrophy results in a moderate impression upon the thecal sac without cord compression.
    There is moderate uncinate joint and articular facet joint degenerative hypertrophy with the moderate right and mild left C5-6 neural foraminal narrowung.

AS WE AGE DISCS LOSE HEIGHT BECAUSE THEY HAVE SPONGY MATERIAL. HYPERTROPHY IS LIKE ARTHRITIS. FORAMINS ARE WHERE THE NERVE ROOTS EXIT THE SPINAL CORD AT THE VARIOUS LEVELS TO OUR EXTREMITIES.

The C6-7 intervertebral disc demonstates a moderate broad based posterior protrusion producing a moderate impression upon the thecal sac and resulting in slight cord contact.
    There is mild degenerative narrowing of the left C6-7 neural foramen.
    The C7-T1 intervertebral disc demonstrates no evidence of protrusion. The cervical spinal cord is normal.

NOTE: SLIGHT CORD CONTACT IS THE LEVEL THAT I WOULD WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT.

Conclusion:
    1) Small to moderate C3-4 through C6-7 intervertebral disc posterior protrusions.
    2) Mild to moderate narrowing of cervical neural foramina.
    3) Normal cervical spinal cord.

PT MIGHT HELP PROTRUSIONS RECEED IF THEY ARE DISC BULGES, BUT IF BONE SPURS IT WON'T MAKE THEM GO AWAY. INJECTIONS MIGHT HELP PAIN CAUSED HY HYPERTROPHIC JOINTS, THE ONLY THING THAT HELPS FORAMINAL NARROWING IS SURGERY. bYE FOR NOW.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:13 AM   #3
    taylorLamont
    (female)

taylorLamont HB User

Neck Patient,

Thank you for responding,
    Thank you so much.
    My PCP said best to see Neurologist...as that is their specialty.
    But having to wait so long not knowing brought me to this site hoping for some insight.
    From what I have read here-sounds like shots, surgery doesn't work for most.

Taylor

Old 06-22-2007, 06:42 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

taylor,please see a neuroSURGEON and not just a neurologist,the c spine IS NOT their specialty.this would need the expertise of a good neurosurgeon who actually does some level of spinal cord surgery to really know whats up for certain.honestly,a neurologist really does not have what you need as far as knowledge and the actual hands on experience that a good neurosurgeon has.you need someone who has the actual knowledge to be able to tell you re the symptoms and whether or not the area of cord contact is what is causing them.most neurologists are not to 'up' on spinal cord tracts like a NS will be.you also need that second read of your MRI done by a neurosurgeon to obtain an even better more informed interpretation.this could vary alot from just what any particular radiologist actually saw or didn;t see in your films.a neurosurgeon is just a much much better idea,thats all.having an actual consult with one does not mean automatic surgery for you,it is just a consult and evaluation of you and your symptoms.this is really the better choice for you given your situation.good luck and please keep us posted as to whatyou find out,K?Marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 06-22-2007 at 06:43 AM.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:18 AM   #5
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

Taylor - surgery does work for most people. Remember that many posters here are people who have on-going problems and need the support of this wonderful group. Many, many others read and go on without posting and many post briefly around their surgery and never come back when they go on with their lives. Others like neckpatient and marcia (feelbad) stick around to continue to offer advice.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #6
    taylorLamont
    (female)

taylorLamont HB User

Thank you, thank you, thank you....so much for all your replies!
    It is so nice that you took the time to respond to my post.
    I will contact my PCP this week and tell him I need a referral to a neurosurgeon.
    I will definitely keep you updated-you are the best group of people.
    I hope all of you are doing well.

Sincerely,

Taylor

Closed Thread