It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Just had C1-C2 fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
    abbe
    (female)

abbe HB User
    Just had C1-C2 fusion

i fell in by bathroom and broke my neck--I just had C1-C2 fusion with 4 screws, plate, and bone graft--(6/5/07). Has anyone had this? I don't really have too much pain now but can't move my neck yet. What can I expect after this surgery? It is really hard as I can't do much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User
    Re: Just had C1-C2 fusion

Hi abbe
    Sorry to hear about your accident. A lot of people here have cervical fusion surgery due to degenerative disc disease, which is more common on the lower cervical vertebrae (but can happen at any/all levels). The C1 & C2 vertebrae are a little different from the rest and provide a lot of the range of motion for head and neck movements - did your Drs talk to you about range of motion loss?

My neck has been fused from C4/5/6/7, and while each of those, level doesn't contribute a great amount of range of motion, having all 4 fused is noticeable. My observation is that I've learned to compensate, so it's something I can deal with - I just have to turn my body more than I used to, like to look over the shoulder while driving, or to see down the aisles at the supermarket, I'm careful to park so I don't have to back u, etc.

I don't know what other problems you might have had from your accident, but it has been almost a month since your surgery. A month after either of my ACDFs I was pretty well recovered, although I was off work for 6 weeks each time. So hopefully you have already experience the worst of the post-op pain and such. I have some chronic pain from having trouble at so many levels, and experience some trouble with swallowing and muscle spasms, which seemed to get less troublesome with time.

I don't know how applicable this experience with DDD is to your accident. Do they have you in a neck brace? You might want to consider calling your Dr's office to get info that is specific to your case - some people seem to be reluctant to make those calls, but that is the best way to get info about you.

Good luck
    Bob

Old 07-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
    abbe
    (female)

abbe HB User
    Re: Just had C1-C2 fusion

Bob,

Thanks for writing.

Actually my husband had the fusions that you had, but mine is a lot different as you mentioned. I have headaches now as they had to drill holes in my head to stablize during surgery as they operate from the back of the neck. They said I would lose up to 50% mobility. I am just worried as it doesn't really move at all right now. I can't believe this happened from just fainting!

I hope you are doing well and don't need any more surgery.
    Abbe

Closed Thread