It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Losing control of my legs!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2007, 05:48 AM   #1
    tmac58
    (male)

tmac58 HB User
    Losing control of my legs!!!!

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first time on here and I think this is a great place for a wealth of information. Well here goes, about a year ago I had a flare-up of back pain that would not go away, and also my right leg went numb, tingled, and painful below the knee. I thought that I had restless leg syndrome. After many trips to the doctor and xrays, he finally sent me to a orthopedic surgeon. I now have had two spine injections and after a full mri they determined that my 5/6, and 6/7 disc in my neck were herniated really bad, so I had a cervical fusion. By this time my right leg is going really limp and my legs shake really bad at times and are very sensitive to the touch. My surgeon first thought that my leg problems were associated with my neck but now determines that since six weeks ago when I had surgery there is no progress. Now I am set up for another spine injection for the pain and then a Milogram (dye injected x-ray). Is there anyone out there who can relate to any of these problems. After a year of all the pain and losing my leg function I am getting very tired!!! I have also been to a neuro-surgeon and everything checked out great. Thanks for reading.

Terry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User
    Re: Losing control of my legs!!!!

Hi Terry ,

I'm not an expert but I wouldn't think your neck problems would cause your leg's to bother you..I think an MRI of you lower Lumbar area should be looked at. Sounds like your having alot of troubles..My leg goes out on me , I don't know if it's because I favor my right leg because when I step on my left , I get alot of pain..Now my left is so weak it buckles on me alot..I don't fall or anything but it does give out.

Good Luck with your results , maybe you will get a better answer from soemone else..

Shawley

Old 07-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #3
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Actually, since neurologist can't find the cause of my nerve damages in my legs/feet (EMG was performed, MRI of lumbar area also was performed) - he sent me for MRI of thouracic and servical areas and even head MRI was done too.
    He explained to me that all this ares can be responsible for the lower extremidies nerve problems. Believe or not, but it connected!
    I would defenatelly go and see a good neurologist (different than neurosugeon).
    Best wishes on your diagnoses.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

moldova is very right,you CAN have a host of major lower torso problems that all stem from something way up in the c spine area.i am wondering just how extensive your herniations actually are/were as far as were they affecting your cord at all?do you have your first MRI and a more recent one in your possesion that you could look at and tell us what they said in a nutshell?it would help alot.if you do not have your medical records in your hands or at least all testing results,you definitely need to obtain them,and keep updating them.it is just a really important thing you need to have with you.

what exactly was fused/resolved with that surgery?having a sudden onset leg affectation like you currently are could be happeneing for a few different reasons it is crucial that you find out which one it is.do you have any low back issues that showed upon the full MRI?if this is indeed stemming from just the affected c spine area,it is a much more serious situation.if your herniations actually were compressing the cord itself in any way,it could have left behind damage that just dosen't show up on any level of MRI.i had an actual surgery done that went into my cord and left behind alot of damage but you can see absolutley nothing on any MRI that suggests(at the cord level) there is indeed damage there,nothing.just the three level lami that had to be done in order to reach the cord is the only real indication,oh and that ugly scar on my upper back and neck,but nothing at the actual surgical site.you could have sustained some pretty dramatic damage(if your cord was affected at all) but it wouldn't show up on the MRI,the docs have to go by symptomology(and indications of particular spinal tract damage).and you are showing some pretty serious ones right now of possible progression or damage that just decided to show itself now.mine has been ongoing since 03,with brand new things popping in at times to torture me now.

i would just really like to know what your MRIs have stated both before and after your surgery and what exactly was done.it would just help alot.was your fusion done by an ortho or neurosurgeon?Marcia

Old 07-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
    tmac58
    (male)

tmac58 HB User

Marcia,
    I do have my MRI's but not my medical records with me. I need to stand corrected about the neurosurgeon, it was a neurologist. I also failed to mention that I do have three degenerative disc in my lumbar area. I've heard so many numbers and letters lately that I could not tell you the specific disc, but I do believe that it is the 3-4-5, or in that area. I have had two MRI's over the past 8 months and they still cannot find anything. My ortho told me Tuesday that he does not want to cut on my back unless he absolutely has to, but he does see my problem with my legs. I can sit on the bed in his office with my feet touching the step stool and my legs will just start shaking uncontrollably. My neck surgery was done by Dr. Mackenzie out of Plano. Thanks for reading. Terry

Old 07-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
    tmac58
    (male)

tmac58 HB User

Shawley,
    Sounds like me with just the opposite leg. I told my ortho on Tuesday that some of the back pain could be coming because my left side has to do all the work!!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #7
    tmac58
    (male)

tmac58 HB User

Sorry, I mean't neurologist. He did say that everything checked out and looked good. At first he thought I might have rumatoid arthritis, but the blood results did not show it. He did do the nerve and muscle test, and that I hope is the last time I will go to a neurologist.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
    Paul from CA
    Inactive
    (male)

Paul from CA HB User

Check out the Texas back institute.
    Really excellent place for back probs.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Did they ever offered for you a discogram? This is pretty accurate test to see what is going on with your discs...
    I am sorry you have all this problems, i know how frastruated this is. But i have to tell you: so hard to have the right diagnoses, sometimes it takes years for some people. You go and see another opinions, see what test are still available for you - your legs problems sounds serious to me even though i am not a doctor...
    Best of luck to you.

Closed Thread