It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 3 Level ACDF scheduled-July 30 - How to prep?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
    paradiddle
    (male)

paradiddle HB User
    3 Level ACDF scheduled-July 30 - How to prep?

Scheduled for 3 level ACDF C5,6,7. My neurosurgeon will use allograft (donor bone), plating (titanium hardware) and hard collar. They say I will probably be in hospital 2-3 days. I have stenosis with herniated discs and kyphosis (no curve in neck). NS says he will also relieve some areas in vertabrae around nerves. I'm non smoker, 52 and fairly active.

Anyway, I would like some recomendations on prepping for post surgery. I have read a lot of stuff over the past 9 months but would like to hear some more. Things like sleeping, watching TV, mobility etc.

Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: 3 Level ACDF scheduled-July 30 - How to prep?

I would consider your surgery to be a 2 level C5-C7. C5-C6 is one and C6-C7 is the 2nd one. I had the same surgery and I only stayed i the hospital one day.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
    paradiddle
    (male)

paradiddle HB User

sorry, I really should have said C4/5, C5/6, C6/7. It's definitely 3 level.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
    moonchaser
    (female)

moonchaser HB User

Hi there. I'm in the process of getting my own 2 level surgery scheduled for I hope around August 1st. (Still waiting on a call back from the NS' office). Some of the things people here have been kind enough to share with me include:
    *investing in flexible bendy straws to drink with
    *having comfortable loungewear ready that buttons rather than pulls over your head
    *if you have a recliner I've heard for some it's easier to sleep in those at first than in your bed

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread too for additional ideas and words of wisdom! Good luck with your surgery!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User

Also, buy soft foods for the house - like ice cream, yogurt, drinks, etc. I also needed a pill crusher/splitter and applesauce to swallow my pills (would cut in half and then put in applesauce). I also used cough drops to help w the sore throat.
    Good luck,
    Lisa

Old 07-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
    paradiddle
    (male)

paradiddle HB User

I ordered a wedge pillow for bed and I have a recliner. I will go shopping for the pill crusher and bendy straws. I have been searching through the archives and found a lot of good stuff and experiences...... It actually feels good to commit to this. I will be going to a RedSox/Devil Ray baseball game the day before I hunker down at home.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #7
    whatever2
    (male)

whatever2 HB User

Popcicles, and get an extra set of pads for your collar.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
    whatever2
    (male)

whatever2 HB User

popcicles, and an extra set of pads for your collar.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
    Dutchgirl
    (female)

Dutchgirl HB User

If you work I would try to get all your disability, fmla and insurance papers in order as best as you can, because trying to take care of that and bills after is a pain (believe me I know....). I also (since I have 5 dependents at home) asked my family to take turns and bring dinners over for at least a week. I bought a very helpful wedge from a back store which I can fold in different positions so that I can watch T.V and sleep on it in my bed. I really didn't have much swallowing problems with either one of my surgeries.

C5/C6 ACDF 08-22-06
    C6/C7 ACDF 05-22-07

Old 07-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #10
    paradiddle
    (male)

paradiddle HB User

Unfortunately, I'm not working and didn't plan on looking until I was done with all this. I just sold my small company that wasn't doing well and got out from under that problem. Fortunately, I am on my wifes insurance plan or I couldn't even attempt this. I use on-line banking and auto-pay as much as I can. I have planned 6 months ahead so that we have enough to pay the bills.

This website and you people has been extremely helpful with all this.

About 6 months ago I had this guy tell me that I shouldn't do this surgery unless I was in dire straights. He had many stories of others that were worse off after surgery. He said what I was doing was "elective surgery". He had a cancerous kidney removed that was not elective. I considered what he said. I have been struggling with this problem since 1998 and it affects my quality of life and will not get better, only worse. I believe, given the oppurtunity, I should fix this problem before it becomes non-elective surgery. I trust my doctor and believe that this will help me.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #11
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

paradiddle - looking at your earlier posts it sounds like you've been through a lot to get to this point. For many of us the symptoms got progressively worse over a relatively short time - perhaps a few months - and surgery was considered almost an emergency - definitly NOT elective - hold your ground - if you have cord compression, etc. then you probably need this surgery and will be better off in the long run. Hang in there - stay calm if possible.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #12
    paradiddle
    (male)

paradiddle HB User

thanks.......

Closed Thread