It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• fingers moving without me moving them

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
    neckhurtin
    (female)

neckhurtin HB User
    fingers moving without me moving them

Last edited by neckhurtin; 01-16-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: fingers moving without me moving them

Have you had a recent MRI?

Old 07-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

When you say it is moving, is it curling? Feels like it wants to curl and you want to straighten it, but it has a will of it's own? If so, might be "trigger finger". In addition to all my disc spine problems, I also had trigger finger several yrs ago and had surgery to correct it.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

on the other hand - if it just moves without curling it is probably from c-spine

Old 07-13-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
    neckhurtin
    (female)

neckhurtin HB User

Last edited by neckhurtin; 01-16-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

if you are actually having muscle spasms in other areas,chances are that this is what could be triggering the finger movements.nerve damage can also create thse little wonders too.i get these mostly in my L fingers.i can just be sitting there doing nothing and all of the sudden my middle finger just jolts into a sudden spasm and moves toward the the pinkie.i also get little'vibrations'? type things where it just sits and kind of fibrillates?very very wierd.i know it all has to do with my level of damage i have.if this is a sudden onset type of thing it wouldn'e hurt to have it evaluated by your NS and also maybe obtain an EMG to see if the nerve flow has somehow changed?this is what i am in the planning of(my right side has decided to go insane now too).i just got my referral for the EMG from my primary to go back and see my physiatrist who was also my actute rehab doc post SCI.he did my previous EMG way back in 03 a few months after my spinal cord surgery.thats when i found out how truely messed up my left hand was from the damage incurred during my surgery.lost eight intrinsic muscles there.i would get this checked out tho.some changes just happen with time and deterioration but others could be from a more significant change,or even something new to deal with.been there done that one to death.just get it looked into to be sure there is nothing else going on.hope things are stable for ya,please keep us posted.marcia

Old 07-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #7
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

My thoughts....if your symptoms are already this bad you don't want to delay surgery. Nerve damage can be permanent when surgery is put off too long.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
    neckhurtin
    (female)

neckhurtin HB User

Last edited by neckhurtin; 01-16-2008 at 09:37 PM.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #9
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I totally understand. I too wanted to avoid surgery and you are right that you are never the same after something like this. The only thing that got me through was that the nerve pain down my arm was gone when I woke up from the surgery. It made the 6 weeks in the aspen collar all the more bearable.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

Yes, I have the finger moving thing...comes on suddenly and they just move around, jiggle, pretty weird. I am 4 months post-op ACDF - still waiting for pain improvement, there's not much if any. Also waiting for my laundry list of neuro symptoms to improve, pretty much no improvement there either. I have just been playing this waiting game...but I'm losing hope that I will see any change since I've seen really none to date. I'm discouraged. I guess, at some point, I'll be going back to docs to see if anyone will ever be able to help me find some relief. Sorry to be a downer - I'm just at a pretty low point with all of this right now. Keep us posted if you go for surgery. I really do think most people see improvement to some degree. Maybe someday I'll be able to post my success too, I hope. Take Care. Mona

Closed Thread