It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Myelogram

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
    tina0211
    (female)

tina0211 HB User
    Myelogram

I just had a myelogram done yesterday and thank goodness I didn't get a spinal headache. My lower back is pretty sore today above the injection site but I keep having back spasms that put me to my knees. I also feel a ton of pressure in my lower back. Is this normal? Man.....bad enough I have the neck pain to deal with and now lower back pain? C'mon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: Myelogram

I have never had a myelogram, but is there any way you can call your Dr. and ask for some Valium to calm your muscles down? After my ACDF they gave me some and it was very helpful.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
    neckhurtin
    (female)

neckhurtin HB User

Last edited by neckhurtin; 01-16-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
    tina0211
    (female)

tina0211 HB User

Hi,
    Basically, the myelogram is supposed to show areas more clearly and they usually follow the myelogram with a CT.
    There is no sedation involved but I did have to stay at the hospital for 3 hours after the procedure to make sure I didn't get a spinal headache. I didn't, thank goodness but bring a book or something to keep you busy and make sure and drink plenty of fluids to "flush" the contrast dye out. I took it easy that evening and stayed in the recliner and pretty much laid around the next day to make sure I didn't get a headache. I was a little sore in the area where they put the epidural in the next day. The myelogram didn't hurt but I had a tremendous amount of "pressure" as they put the contrast dye in. They tip you upside down (your feet are in buckles) and they watch the dye go up your spine. All I can say is that you feel this "pressure" as the dye is moving up. It was uncomfortable but it is quick and as soon as they tip you back in a flat position you can feel the dye going backwards. I had this pressure in my lower back for the entire day and every time I stood up I could feel it. It was almost as if the dye was pooling in my lower back. The pressure went away by the next day. They give you a numbing medicine so you won't feel the injection so all you really feel is a poke and a little burning when the needle goes in. I didn't feel anything else.......except the 'pressure.'
    Good luck with your myelogram and just remember to take it easy and drink your fluids. It is quicker than the MRI but just a little more uncomfortable more than anything.

Closed Thread