It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C7 / T1 Surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User
    C7 / T1 Surgery?

Does anyone have experience to share on surgery for the disc at C7 / T1? I've been having increasing pain in that area (I've had two ACDFs at this point - first for C5/6/7, and second for C4/5). This next disc in the line has not looked too good in the last couple of MRIs. I have an MRI scheduled for next week to take a closer look at this disc. If this level ends up in surgery, is it similar to the others - that is, anterior, donor bone, plate? Or is it different when they have to get into the thoracic vertebrae?

Thanks in advance for sharing any experience you may have with this!
    Bob

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
    pattihabs
    Veteran
    (female)

pattihabs HB User
    Re: C7 / T1 Surgery?

hi bob, i don't have any info for you but i would like to wish you the best. seems everytime you have a surgury, the next 1 goes. wish i never had the 1st. had 4 myself and now i have rsd, never again, well, good luck and i hope you feel bettet. patti

Old 07-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Hi Bob,
    I can really emphathize with you. My C4-5 is a big ole problem now after the C5-C7 fusion. I had problems with it before my fusion, but now the problems are kicking in again and making me in alot of pain again. You know I am routing for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please let us know about your MRI. I just got one this week and its the ole bone spurs and bulging disk scenario. You have been such a tremendous help to me on this board. I cannot thank you enough for all your encouragement. I hope to be able to return the favor!

Old 07-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
    ember919
    (female)

ember919 HB User

Bob,
    Sorry to add another basically non-informational post, but as you probably know from time spent on this board, thoracic issues are rare and answers hard to find. However, I was able to find some information just by doing a web search on various combinations of "thoracic", "surgery", "T1" and "C7", some of which included illustrations. (I know we're not allowed to give URLs) Looks liked you'd be faced with another anterior approach with plating, though not sure how your existing C7 plating would play into that? (If area affected were to go below T1, looks like surgery would then be "posterior subscapular".)

But, obviously, I am not a medical person and really don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear you're having problems and hope, one way or the other, you are able to get the pain issues resolved.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User

Patti, SKZ, Ember
    Thanks for the replies and ecouraging comments - they are appreciated very much. I had read that disc problems in the T spine are less common than in the C or L spine, and that seems to be supported here by the lack of people who have had surgery at this level. If it turns out I have a problem that needs another disc removed and fusion, I am hoping it is the anterior approach - I've enough experience with that to know what to expect.

I get an MRI tomorrow and should know the results sometime in the coming week. I've got mixed feelings - on one hand I hope there is something wrong that would explain the pain, and that can be 'fixed'. On the other hand, I really don't want another surgery, and another level fused. It seems like there are no 'good' choices, as this turns in to mulitple levels and surgeries.

I'll share what I find out later this week - thanks again for the support!
    Bob

Old 07-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

OK Bob, I hope it turns out OK for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread