It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• New Here - Need Some Help Understanding My MRI - Please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
    leftygal
    (female)

leftygal HB User
    New Here - Need Some Help Understanding My MRI - Please!

Hi All,

It's the weekend, and I got my MRI results today, with no doctor in the office to explain them to me! As a result, I'm starting to stress out a bit as I'm finding it really hard to wait for an answer .

Briefly, I'm 22 and have been having some pretty awful back pain and right hip pain for the past year. Things just feel like they're getting worse with time.

I had an MRI last week, and these are my results - what on earth do they mean?

1) Minimum posterior disc bulge and facet hypertrophy at L4-L5 causing mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis, while a superimposed small central protrusion deforms the ventral theca.

2) Facet hypertrophy at L5-S1 causing moderate left neural foraminal stenosis.

It also says minimal loss of signal at L4-L5.

From what I understand, stenosis is something that comes with age, but I'm only 22. What's up with this?

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate any help and information.

Thanks all!

- Annie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
    Re: New Here - Need Some Help Understanding My MRI - Please!

hey Annie, I'm pretty new to all this but I'll try to help... it sounds like you have a disc pressing on a nerve. The foraminal stenosis is a narrowing of the opening where the nerve travels through, I have it in my neck to shoulder, it's basically a "pinched nerve". That's what I get out of it. Someone who has this or knows more can tell you more. I have been suffering with this for about 6 months. I'll be fine and turn a certain way and BOOM, it gets like a spasm and it'll take all day with heat or stretching for it to let up. I go to physical therapy, but now even SHE doesn't know what to do with me, so she's sending me to a chiroparcter who uses something called an ACTIVATOR which can move your vertebre so I'm told?! I hope you get some relief soon.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
    leftygal
    (female)

leftygal HB User

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I'm sorry to hear you're also having a hard time.
    I appreciate your explanation--it's adding to my understanding of what's going on. I also looked around on the internet for some information, but I'm not exactly sure how it willl apply to me, I'll wait for my doctor's answer I guess!

I get the same way as you do, if I sit the wrong way or get up the wrong way, the underlying pain I have comes out like a speeding bullet and I'm left in agony for the next few days.

I hope things turn out well for you, and that you also find some relief soon.

When I get an explanation from my doctor, I'll make sure to post it.

Best,
    Annie

Old 07-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Annie, does the pain ever go into your buttucks and down a leg? My daughter who is 32 gets this and it is worse now that she's pregnant, it's called sciatica, it's the nerve that runs from your lower back down your leg. Sometimes ice helps her, have you tried that? She can't take anything but Tylenol right now, I am hoping your doc helps you, I keep getting the runaround it seems, shifted from one doc to the next.. Let us know how you make out, okay?

Old 07-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
    leftygal
    (female)

leftygal HB User

The pain does go into my buttocks and into my right hip and leg. Sometimes it reaches the base of my foot, and at that point I can't place my foot on the ground. Doing so makes me feel like I'm getting a series of electrical shocks. I will try ice on the area the pain seems to be stemming from, thank you for the suggestion.

I spoke with my neurologist's nurse practitioner, who essentially told me unless she had known my age (22 years), she would have thought my MRI report reflected that of someone in their 50's. She essentially explained what's taking place in my back as serious wear and tear for my age, which is bizarre since I was never particularly active. From that, she told me to drop off my MRI films so the doctor could look at them to see just how severe it really is. Once I hear from him, I'll let you know.

What's more interesting is that I seem to be the 3rd female in three generations of women who have developed stenosis, in conjunction with other back problems.

My grandmother did not start to suffer until she was in her 60s, and while I don't know the particulars of what took place in her back, she did have severe spinal stenosis.

My mother was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis at 35 years of age. She also started out with the stenosis as I did, except she was in her 40s when that started to pop up. Now in her 50s, everything has advanced. This is a recent MRI of hers severa, not in her 20s like me

This is my mother's recent MRI, several years post-hemilaminectomy at L5, and several years post-laminectomy at L4:

L3-L4 minimal disc bulge, facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavum infolding causing mild bilteral neuroforaminal and tricompartmental spinal stenosis.
    L4-L5 minimal bulge and facet hypertrophy causing moderate bilteral neuroforaminal and subarticular stenosis.
    L5-S1 posterior disc bulge and face hypertrophy causing moderate to severe, right greater than left, neuroforaminal and subarticular stenosis. There is impingement of the L5 dorsal root ganglion on the right.

Thinking about this history, I would think it is something congenital. I'll come to see if my doctors agree with me. Hopefully something can be done for me that would prevent it from advancing!

Will keep you updated

Best,
    Annie

Closed Thread