It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Post-ACDF and Theme Park Rides

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
    kgwoz
    (female)

kgwoz HB User
    Question Post-ACDF and Theme Park Rides

Hi everyone,

I am a 30-yr old female who had ACDF (C5-6) in September 2006. As of my 6-month follow-up appointment, my neck was almost done fusing and I don't have the tingling in my arm/hand anymore (but I still have a little pain in the back of my neck).

My husband and I are going to Orlando in a couple months, and I want to know if it is okay for me to go on the thrill rides at some of the theme parks (Universal, etc.). I don't do roller coasters, so I'm not worried about those... more about the other types of motion rides that jerk you around.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: Post-ACDF and Theme Park Rides

Personally, if it were me, (I had a 2 level in Jan) I would not do it. I went to NYC in May and took alot of taxis where my head jerked back and forth. It was a nightmare and I have since had a big set back, mostly with another level that was not fused, that now is killing me. Is it possible that the residual pain you have in the back of your neck is from other stuff that wasnt fused? Also, just thinking about it.....it may be possible that some of the hardware could get shaken loose from hard jerking around.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
    Smile Re: Post-ACDF and Theme Park Rides

I'm with SKZ, personally I wouldn't do it and I used to do about every ride. I LOVE rides! LOL! I would take it fairly easy and I'm sure you can have lots of fun without going on rides that jerk you around and if you're still having some pain I just wouldn't chance it.

Have a GREAT time on your trip!!

~ Jo

Old 07-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User

Hi Karen
    Your question is absolutley something you must ask your Dr, since it depends on the details of your particular case.

My Dr said he has done research & medical papers on your question - and that high school football players with a single level ACDF often continue to play football.

In my case with 3 levels fused (C4/5/6/7) he told me no more rides like you are asking about (anything with jerking motions, or high g forces, etc), no overhead work (like painting a ceiling, pruning trees, etc), and not to lift anything heavy (more than 75 pounds).

Your case is likely somewhere in between, and closer to the single level situation, so you may be ok to do the rides you want. But it is not worth the risk to decide based on input here, since no one really knows any of your details. Your Dr would be the best qualified to give you advice on this.

I still go to Disneyland with my family, and I can ride the train, etc, but none of the 'good rides'. I still have a good time, but I have to set my expectations for myself, and my family has to respect those. I found it helps to have that discussion before getting to the amusement park, so everyone is on board with what is or is not OK for me.

Good luck - have fun!
    Bob

Old 07-31-2007, 05:50 AM   #5
    kgwoz
    (female)

kgwoz HB User

Hi and thanks for all of your replies! I see my doc before our vacation, so I will check with him. My husband and I have already discussed that I may not be able to do all the rides he wants to, and he is totally fine with that. I'll make the best of it and have fun!

Closed Thread