It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone here had side effects from Flezeril?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Has anyone here had side effects from Flezeril?

Hello,
    I am adding because I see my numb fingers don't type well LOL
    It is supposed to read Flexeril not flez

I know this is going to sound weird, but since I have been on Flexeril it is hard to go the bathroom. Not #2 but #1. Oh I will just say it LOL!
    Yes hard to pee!!!
    I noticed it before I started on the Norco but now it is worse since then.

I have had problems with anesthesia and having urinary retention form that and this is similar but not near as bad.

I was wondering about other muscle relaxers that are not addicting? Is there any other options out there?

Has anybody had this urinary issue while on the a Flexeril?
    I am using the flexeril for my neck but I don't take it 3 times a day as it says to do or I would not go at all.
    I was in so much pain at the Doc yesturday I forgot to mention it. Should I call them?
    Chrissy

Last edited by skych; 07-31-2007 at 07:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2007, 08:52 AM   #2
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: Has anyone here had side effects from Flezeril?

I have that same anesthesia thing with my bladder, but not when I take Flexeril. The only side effect I had with Flexeril is that it makes me totally drowsy. Maybe you should get a different one prescribed because urinary retention is not good; you can get a urinary trac infection if it goes on too long. The Dr. should know this symptom. Seriously.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Thanks SKZ,

I think I will just call and let them know what is going on so it is documented.

The Flexeril does not really make me that tired. I also know that the narcotic pain meds will make it hard to urinate as well bu the two together make it worse. I have not been taking that much of any of it because I hate the meds but I know I should.
    I will call the doc and see what he says.
    Chrissy
    Ps Bare with my typing today my hands are just not working that well.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #4
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Well the thing i would be concerned about is the not emptying the bladder completely. THIS I know from experience. It can be a real drag. Flexeril comes in difference dosages. When i take the 10mg one, forget it....I can't hardly function. The 5mg. makes me drowsy too, but halfway functional. But of course the stronger one helps the spasms more. oy.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

SKZ,

I just looked up the side effects and it does say urinary retention as a side effect.
    I called the docs office and left a message. My regular nurse is not in but the gal on the phone said she would send it to the nurse that is there.
    I told them if they wanted to change anything I do not want any Benzos....
    I don't really know what else is out there as far as muscle relaxers. But with my history and the experience of detoxing off pain meds even though I never abused them I for sure do not want to have to experience any thing like that again. I guess that is why I am so resistant to taking any of the meds.
    I know it is miss managing my pain and I suffer sometimes untill I just can;t take it.
    It also said that Flexeril is for short term use like 2-3 weeks and it has been over that already.
    Chrissy

Old 07-31-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Nice to know Flexeril is for short term use, since they prescribe it to me like its candy and in large amounts in one bottle. sheesh

Old 07-31-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

SKZ,

I know kinda funny how they don't tell us that!!!

The docs office called and said to take them 1/2 at a time every four hours or so instead of a whole one at one time.

I have been resting all day. Just laying in the couch with ice and a book. Sorta took a nap.

I had a small twitching thing going on the back of my shoulder blade kinda freaky!!

Now I have that sensation from my jaw all down my neck and in my back. Resting was good becasue it is hot out. I have been inside all day.

Maybe the flexeril made me really tired today. That and a norco 10 this morning around 9.
    I just did to much yesturday!! I had a hard time sleeping.
    I still feel sleepy.
    How long does it take to get the fims and report back from an MRI?
    I think I got them back quick when I had it done at this facility once before.
    Chrissy

Old 07-31-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Two weeks ago when I had my last MRI, I had it on a Monday and then picked up the report on Tues.
    For the life of me, I do not know why your GP had you make an appt. at the end of Aug. for a follow up. What are you expected to do....wait a month to find out what the report says?????

Old 07-31-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Chrissy,
    I forgot to ask you.....do you have a good support system where you are....family...friends? I forgot if you mentioned how old you are. I seem to remember you mentioning going back to college soon. I am 51, by the way.
    Sue

Old 07-31-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Hello SUe,

I am 37 years old and I am not married and have no kids.
    I can't have kids as I had a hyseterectomy in 2005.
    I decided to go to school while on workers comp because after a year I pretty much knew I would not be doing factory work anymore and I really have always wanted to be a nurse. So that is what I am working at in school. I have about 4 more classes to complete before I can apply to the nursing program.

My family that lives closest to me is my Mom and Dad. About 2 1/2 hours away.

Being that I am a recovering alcoholic an addict that is in Recovery (almost 3 years) I have a good support system.
    Actually my sponsor has 32 years clean and sober and she has problems with her neck. I think that she has degenerative stuff.

Anyway I know I can pick up the the report. It seems to me that I waited last time and left with the report and the films but I could be wrong.
    I have a feeling that my GP will look at the report and then call me with a referal to a different doc.
    I hope so because all I did was rest today. I got up and washed dishes and then watered a few plants in the yard and I started to feel pain so I took 1/2 a Flexeril and it did not really help. I am wearing the brace when I am up but it does not really make a difference if I wear it or not.
    My jaw is really bugging me. Like I can feel the funky sensation from my jaw to my ear and then on down my neck and into the back and shoulder blade.
    I can read the report and make some sense of it if it is detailed.
    The last one I got at that facility was not real detailed but then that test showed nothing wrong in my arm and was contradicting to the EMG.
    Most of this stuff now is on my left side and my left wrist and elbow has had 4 surgeries so I do have constant issues over there. It will be hard to say if anything in my arm is really caused from the surgeries or the accident. I just had the last surgery in March. Ulnar nerve transposition.

I have never had any issues with my neck and shoulder other than soreness from PT that I did for my arm.
    I have severe atrophy in that arm and may never get back the muscle tone that was once there. Three years of disuse.

You know how the mind wanders when you don't know what is wrong!!!
    I have already done all kinds of searches on the internet and read some of the posts of others before me.
    I have re-read some of the stuff in my Bio AP book about some of the spinal nerves and what area they effect.
    Probly have to much info bouncing around in there at this point.

I guess my biggest fears are problems that can't be solved with conservative treatments, future surgery and long term pain issues.

I mean I have already been dealing with serious pain for 3 years and was finally at a place of acceptance that I may be at that level of pain forever either constant or intermitent concerning my arm.

Then the carelesness of the other driver starts me back on a path I thought was done only now I have a different injury and some elevated pain with the old ones.
    Acceptance is really hard sometimes!!! I get sort of sad at times that I am in this position, but I am very grateful for what I do have in life....I have everything I need..Family friends fairly good health except for the injuries, a nice home that I own, my bills are paid and my cats love me...hehehehe
    I could be a lot worse off in so many ways.
    If that women had pulled out in fromt of me 3 seconds earlier we may both be dead or way seriously injured!!!

My hope is it will just be the ligaments and muscles that are a problem, but I am not liking the fact theat I have the pins and tingly sensation on my neck jaw and shoulder area...that is usually a sign of nerve problems and I don't do nerves problems well.
    That was not a positive statement I just made but my experience with nerve stuff has been hard.
    Anyway..I will check back again before I go to bed....Thanks for chatting with me I really appreciate it
    It helps to just talk about it...Thanks
    Chrissy

Last edited by skych; 07-31-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:45 PM   #11
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Chrissy,
    I will reply tomorrow because I have a headache from ^%&*()_ all night and just want to go watch TV and hopefully go to sleep early. Always sumthin!

Old 07-31-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Ditto that girl>>>

See you in the Moring...I hope you sleep well
    Chrissy

Old 08-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #13
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

SKZ,

I woke up this morning in total pain in my shoulders. EEK!! I was up at 4 am.

Really I hate taking pain meds so I just layed there untill I felt somewhat better.
    It really freaked me out. My shoulder on the left side feels like I overworked it or osmething and I have done absolutley nothing but rest.
    I called the Imaging center and they said I can wait and have the fims that day or come back in 24 hours and there will be a report and the fims.
    So anyway I am just trying to work through my little fears right now.
    I hate waiting.
    Pray for patience HEHEHEHE
    Chrissy

Old 08-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #14
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Oh God, so sorry to hear your woke up from so much pain. When you get your MRI results, post them on here and I am sure a lot of people on here can give you an idea of what you are looking at. Once you know, at least that UNKNOWN part will be alleviated. Don't forget to take a washcloth with you when you get your MRI. MRIs of the neck are different from other parts of the body from what I hear. YOu may have had some on your arm in the past. The biggest mistake I made when I got my first cervical MRI was opening my eyes right when I got in the machine. I saw a thing over my face. I cannot remember what it looked like, but its was kind of cage like, I think. It may be an antenna, of some sort. If I never saw that thing, the MRI would not have bothered me. So just do not open your eyes and you wont have a chance to, if that washcloth is covering them. I never had a problem since that first time because I knew not to look. And I have had at least 5 cervical MRIs.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:07 PM   #15
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I just remembered something else helpful for the MRI. The place I went to offered me earplugs. That was a VERY VERY helpful because the machine can be pretty loud. Maybe call them and ask if they have them.

Closed Thread