It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 8 Months Post Acdf - Neck Shoulder Deep Itch

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
    Melindafm
    (female)

Melindafm HB User
    8 Months Post Acdf - Neck Shoulder Deep Itch

I searched the posts and did not see the symptoms I am having. I had a 2 level ACDF (c5, c6, c7) on November 30, 2006. Everything progressed fine. I do not have the numbness and pain in my left arm any more. Starting around March/April time frame I started with itching deep in the muscles of my neck and shoulder. There is electricity feeling all over my back sometimes. My neck muscle from behind the ear to the shoulder is always very tight and knotty and painful. I have used ice for months, heat makes it flare. The neurosurgeon's assistant said he hears this symptom about 2 to 3 times a year. Apparently there is not a whole lot that can be done. I have been in physical therapy and it seems to be finally making some progress. (I finally found a physical therapist who really makes me work out with excercises and does deep massage). The knot in my neck scares the physical therapist. Anyway, I mainly would like to know if anyone has ever had this deep itching/electrical feeling. I tried Lyrica, it just makes the electrical feeling worse. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Melindafm For This Useful Post:
    vcatropp (04-21-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: 8 Months Post Acdf - Neck Shoulder Deep Itch

I had that deep itchy feeling after I had the radiofrequency rhizotomy in April 2006. This was before my ACDF and was trying to treat my pain. This is where they burn the nerves, basically killing them. They do grow back, but one gets relief for a pretty long amount of time. I always wondered why the back of my neck itched all the time. Obviously it was nerve related. (the deadening of them and the growing back). I don't have any answers to the itching..just wanted you to know I had it too. Does ice help the itching?

Old 08-04-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
    Melindafm
    (female)

Melindafm HB User
    Re: 8 Months Post Acdf - Neck Shoulder Deep Itch

Thank you so much for your reply. No ice doesn't really help. My neck stays swollen so it does help that some and the pain. Thankfully, the pain has dissappeared. It only becomes painful if I overdo. The itch though is very deep inside and is a really strange feeling. The deep eletrical feeling is like blowing 2 pieces of paper and making your lips tingle/numb. I just hope this goes away eventually.

Closed Thread