It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Trying to avoid neck surgery!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
    NoDo
    (male)

NoDo HB User
    Trying to avoid neck surgery!!!

Hey everyone. its been a while, almost 8 months since the last time i have made a visit to the site. A year ago i was in a bad car accident which left me with 4 herniated disks in my neck from c3-4 to c6-t7. Over the past 12 months i have had 3 epidural spinal injections and 6 trigger point injections. The spinal injections were all temp. pain relieve and now the pain in back 100%. Originally my 2 pincher fingers were knumb and still remain that way. I just went back to my nurologist and her performed some EMG tests on the nerve flow in my arm and the results did not come back very well. The nurologist is now recommending me for surgery which I do not want to do at all. I just cant see myself being laid up in bed for a couple months again. it was hard enough the first time. Is there any other alternatives out there that I may have over looked that anyone might know about? If so someone please let me know.

thanks
    Noah

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User
    Re: Trying to avoid neck surgery!!!

I believe all of us who had the surgery tried every possible alternative to surgery! You just get to a point where you cannot bear it another minute and then you are ready.

When you get ready, let us know. We'll give you some good tips! In the mean time the best advice I can give you is do not fall for the DRX9000 treatment. Judging from my before and after MRI's I was significantly worse after DRRX 9000 treatment which I lost time from work going to the sessions and several thousand dollars to a bogus treatment.

July

Old 08-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
    NoDo
    (male)

NoDo HB User

well honestly im ready for the pain to go away and the feeling to come back in my pincher fingers in my right hand but the last thing i wanted to do was have surgery. I guess there just isn't anything worth while left.
    what is the DRX9000?

Old 08-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Noah,
    I suffered for 5 years before I had my surgery last Jan. (2 level fusion). A thing to consider is that the longer you have nerve damage, the more likely it is to be permanent. I waited too long and now my hands get numb when I sleep and I am pretty sure I am stuck with that for the rest of my life. Now I wish I had the surgery sooner. I tried EVERYTHING a person can try. I just couldnt take my life going down the tubes anymore, so I had the surgery. I am VERY glad I did because I am in alot less pain than I used to be.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
    NoDo
    (male)

NoDo HB User

I am definantly scared of having my fingers knumb for the rest of my life and they haven't eased up at all over the past year. From everything that I have read it doesn't seem like it is too bad of a surgery with a decent time frame for recovery. It's just gonna suck not being able to drive, play with my kid, or even race my bike for a couple of months. Stressing out over this bad. I have a meeting next week with a NS so I will see how that goes and then possibly get a second oppinion.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #6
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Well, if this is any help....I had a 2 level and it was much better than I expected. The pain wasnt really bad. I had muscle spasms which I thought was the worst part. But then again I had them before the surgery and still have them.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
    NoDo
    (male)

NoDo HB User

everything im informed of helps me out so thanks. i see everyone posting "level 2" and what not. what exactly does level 2 represent?

thanks

Old 08-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #8
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

There are 7 vertabrae in the neck. In between each vertebra is a disk. So the highest number levels mean the lower they are in the neck. So, C6-C7 means the DISK in between those 2 vertebraes. So when a person says they had a level done, it will always have 2 numbers. For example, my fusions was at C5-C6, and C6-C7. (the 2 lowest neck levels). They took the disks out and fused everything together with plates and screws so that there was no more movement at those levels. Movement meant PAIN. No movement for me means less pain.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
    NoDo
    (male)

NoDo HB User

ok ok now i get it. thanks. im actually having problems with the same disks in my neck plus c3-4 and c4-5. 4 herniated in total when I had my accident. how long was your recovery time from surgery?

thanks

Old 08-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

I think I turned a corner at 6 weeks, as far as getting alot of my energy back and wanting to do alot of things. My PT told me the recovery is a year, as far as making any judgements as to the success of the surgery.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
    NoDo
    (male)

NoDo HB User

wow a year huh? how long before you were able to do any activities like driving or playing any sports? im kind of an adrenaline junkie and i race AMA superbikes so i guess im going to be out of comission for a while. wow this sucks!!!

Old 08-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #12
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Well, for me personally, I am going to wait at least a year before I do anything like that. I learned the hard way by over doing it too soon.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #13
    mcarr36
    (female)

mcarr36 HB User

I also tried to avoid the cervical fusion for as long as I could stand it. 9 months of Pt and finally decided to do it. I still have numbness in my fingers and that is permanent. I did not want to chance any more nerve damage so I went for it. My sugery lasted 4 hours and I stayed one night in the hospital. I was in a neck brace for 4 weeks and was out of work for 8 weeks. The first week was very hard, I was in pain. However, I was also in a lot of pain before the surgery so it was not much different. It really was not too bad after that. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #14
    NoDo
    (male)

NoDo HB User

ok so i have a consultation with a NS next week. man, i just dont think i can last that long without riding. its going to be ruff for me i just know it.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:11 AM   #15
    jilljc
    (female)

jilljc HB User

Do everything you can to NOT go under the knife. I had my neck fused in 2003 and in Nov. of this year I was in so much pain, well, one of the screws broke, yep, that's right in my neck. They went in in Nov. to replace all the hardware and I'm still in soooo much pain. They won't fuse! And they now want to go in again! Do everything you can to stay out of the operating room. I think if had tried EVERYTHING ELSE I won't be in this bad spot. Good Luck to you.

Closed Thread