It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Better Posture Post Fusion and MORE! SHARE your POST fusion POSITIVES

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
    Question Better Posture Post Fusion and MORE! SHARE your POST fusion POSITIVES

I had an ACDF on 7/17/07 and I was initially having issues with pain especially at the hip bone graft location. I still think that the most pain I'm having is a result of the bone graft (weird I know) since I've read that other people have bone grafts with no pain. All I can figure is maybe it's because I had a bone graft of the left hip with my lumbar fusion and the fact that I have lupus that I'm extra sensitive to the pain. But, it is getting better and I'm not limping nearly as much!! YAY!

Today was my best day yet. As you all know I've really followed Doctor's notice to the letter, starting with NOT doing too much around the house - though I have moderately increased my activity level by the day- but when I say moderate, I mean moderate. I have been blessed to have supportive friends that I have brought in meals every other day except weekends when my husband is home and on the alternate days I just fix very simple meals. So, that has been an amazing help.

So, for ANYONE about to have a fusion it's a good idea to have meal plans (if you have a support system - family, church members,) that can bring in meals - GREAT - because it DOES make all the difference.
    An alternate thing to do (which is a little more difficult because your in pain pre-surgery), but prepare your basic meals and freeze them so there is LITTLE preparation post-surgery.

Today, actually did some cleaning around the house and was VERY careful and wore my cervical-stim (which is working out great btw). My son and I walked done to our mailbox and collected our mail and that felt good. I almost wanted to walk longer, but I had to stop myself because it would be overdoing. That's the MOST important thing to acknowledge is WHEN it becomes doing TOO much.

Another positive thing that I've noticed post-fusion (and other family members have noticed also) is my posture is markedly improved. I'm actually standing erect with my shoulders back - naturally with NO pain. One thing that happened with me (I don't know if others with cervical injuries have noticed this), but as my pain and injuries progressed my POSTURE declined more and more. It was VERY frustrating to me, because I was always one with GOOD posture, but I couldn't FORCE myself to sit or stand up straight because it HURT so bad, I was most comfortable slouching and I know that's never GOOD to do. And believe me I worked on it with Physical Therapist and exercises at home and nothing helped.

I'm so HAPPY this significant improvement of NORMAL/IMPROVED posture to be a result of the surgery and it NEVER occurred to me it would be an immediate result, I figured it would be something I'd have to work on in PT.

I like to share the positives that I see along the way, so people have some positives and negatives to go by when making the decision to have a fusion or to compare with others who are POST fusion.

I'm just wondering - if you had posture issues PRIOR to fusion like I did, has your posture IMPROVED post fusion?

What are other POSITIVES you've notice POST fusion?

~Jo~

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 08-10-2007 at 10:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: Better Posture Post Fusion and MORE! SHARE your POST fusion POSITIVES

Well, initially I did notice that the hump that i had behind my neck (upper back) was alot smaller. That part is lessened, which is good. But now that I am 7 months out, and am in pain from a level that i did not have fused, I am noticing my posture is less good. I am sure its from being in pain.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User

I feel really great after my one level ACDF C5-6 (with plate and screws, donor bone). I had it 4 months ago. Even though I still have some numbness/tingling in my left hand, it seems like it was a big success. I am back to playing tennis as well.
    Lisa

Old 08-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SKZ View Post
    Well, initially I did notice that the hump that i had behind my neck was alot smaller. That part is lessened. But now that I am 7 months out, and am in pain from a level that i did not have fused, I am noticing my posture is less good. I am sure its from being in pain.
    That is interesting, because I was also really getting a BUMP on the left side of back, that was REALLY noticing the pain and the tension in my neck and shoulder region was SO intense I had to literally slumped over all the time. (And I have always been a person who had a thing about posture). So it really upset me. But, it was literally painful to try and sit-up straight and I would try stretches also and it just amplified the pain. The first thing I noticed within the first few days of surgery was decrease to that extreme tension - which meant less pain. I just started noticing the posture change in the last week - but it makes me HAPPY!

I'm so sorry you have another level involved now. I really hope you get relief to your pain very soon.
    You're in my thoughts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poopoopadoop View Post
    I feel really great after my one level ACDF C5-6 (with plate and screws, donor bone). I had it 4 months ago. a big success. I am back to playing tennis as well.
    Lisa

That is SO wonderful that you're back to playing tennis four months post ACDF and feeling SO good.

Today my youngest son and I walked our dogs to the park (not very far). But, that felt like a BIG step for me. I think I would be doing much better if it wasn't for this bone graph of my hip. It's my second the left hip and I have extreme pain, scar tissue over the bone and extreme leg numbness - so I limp. Which really bums me out.

I'm so happy to hear you're doing so well. Thanks for sharing!!

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 08-11-2007 at 11:09 PM.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Good Morning Jo!!!

I am so glad that you are feeling a bit better and able to do some small things! We forget what a gift it is to be outside and walk the dog!!

Progress! Sounds like slowly you are getting better! I am so happy to hear that. I know how much pain you were in a few weeks ago and wow...girl....what a difference!!

I think I am going to get out this morning for a short 1 mile walk. It is supposed to be HOT and Windy today so I will get while the gettin is good.

I am hanging in there doing my best to rest and not over do it.

Chrissy

Closed Thread