It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Questions about injections & broad based central disc protrusion??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Question Questions about injections & broad based central disc protrusion??

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if some of you can share your experiences with injections for pain relief.

Do they do injections so that they can get swelling in your Cspin and other areas to calm down?
    I constantly feel like I have spasams and pain in neck and shoulder. It is tingly and may even be slighlty burning deep in the shoulder blade area.

I see a neuro doc on the 7th and I started to go to a chiro on Friday at the suggestion of my attorney. I have tried PT and it hurt to much. Even the chiro appointment has hurt me since I went.

I have C 3-4 mild bulging of disc slightly left sided no foraminal narrowing or corg impingement
    C4-5 small broad-based central disc protrusion without neural impingement nor foraminal narrowing
    C5-6 is the same as C 3-4

What exactly broad based central disc protrusion???

Could it be the swelling of things in there causing the funky nerve sensations??
    Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User
    Re: Questions about injections & broad based central disc protrusion??

Hi Chrissy
    I have similar issues. I think the term 'broad based' is easier to understand when looking at MRI images. My surgeon used that term to describe discs that were bulging across the entire back part - and used 'narrowing' to describe where discs were intruding into the neural foramina, typically more on one side than the other. Anyway, that's the way I think of it, from his descriptions.

I have been considering injections, but have not had any yet. The two reasons I have had explained to me are 1) to reduce irritation and swelling, and thereby relieve pressure on the nerves, and 2) to isolate exactly which levels are causing the problems - they said they would only inject one or two levels at a time, so they could tell better which ones were actually causing the pain.

Each case is different, and you should clearly follow the advice of a Dr you trust - but I've had several Drs tell me to stay away from Chiropracters since I am fused (C4/5/6/7) at too many levels. I have seen a PT, who specialized in neck patients, who showed me exercises I should do at home to strengthen muscles and improve flexibility. I went a few times to be sure I was doing the PT correctly, and now just do them at home on my own.

Bob

Old 08-26-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

Hi
    I can answer some of your questions regarding injections.
    I have had 2 types...

1) Trigger point injections done to area with spasm. THese were done in Dr.s office (My neck and trap muscle were killing me!) Alas the trigger point injections made it worse! I found out 2 weeks AFTER injections you are supposed to ice area immediately after to control pain but my first pain mgmnt Dr never said to. So they were sheer hell. Did not stop spasms. Just additional pain. Might have worked if I had been properly informed.

2) cervical spine epidurals. The first was heaven, 50% relief, 2nd 100 % relief but stopped working after a couple of months when I snorkeled and lifted my head back while swimming face down. Boy did that hurt!
    At that moment all pain relief ended. But when they worked it was bliss!

Had another series of 3 that never worked. These epidural injections are costly if you are on a ppo and have to do the hospital co-pay and drs fees as well as anesthesiology.

3) Tried accupuncture without success

4) Did 10 sessions with chiro which made it feel worse and then also did the complete DRX 9000 cervical spine session which was a GIGANTIC waste of money and time.

Only thing that really helped me was icing and and electric heating pad that had a sponge insert for moist heat. And then of course surgery. Fused at 2 levels.

Hope this helps

Old 08-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hello all,

Thanks for all the info. I have thought about them and I know that my old PM doc does them because he did one on someone that I know. She said it made it worse for her.

I have had steroid injections in my wrist and it helped with pain but months later I re-injured my arm and ended up with 4 surgeries on it. I have permanent Ulnar nerve damage so it is hard to tell if the neck stuff is effecting that nerve. I do know that my arm feels worse nerve issues if my neck is pinching on that particular day.

I will see the neuro on the 7th but wanted to hear about what others have thought about them.

I really hate taking so much medication all the time and can't tolerate narctics like I have in the past. I never abused them but still had to detox off of methadone that I was on for my arm.
    I was in serious serious pain with that arm and now that it is so much better I am really sad to be in this place with my neck. It is not yet quite as painful on a daily basis as the arm was.

As far as the medical insurance goes mine just changed and it is through my college and it is not that good. But because this was a car accident and I have an attorney now I don't think it will be much of a problem to get things done.

Anyway I gotta get to bed soon...first day of school tomorrow and I will be sitting a lot and need a good rest tonight. Sitting to much really aggrivates it.

Thanks guys...Chrissy

Closed Thread