It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Migraines & neck, can't take it

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-28-2007, 06:40 AM   #1
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Migraines & neck, can't take it

Getting headaches, bad, whole left side even ear & throat hurt, believe it or not even my tongue. Just laid there & cried last night, oxycodone does not touch that pain, Can feel it lingering in my head this mornig, tingling like crazy, I don't know what to do, on enough pain meds, know from past I am in trouble if they start up, vomiting face swelling & the whole bit. That has been my biggest fear since these headches have started, that they would become a migraine type headache. Anyone else get these? I know my neck is swollen up, so will call pt, I can't get into doc. till sept. 10 & primary doc. wants other doc to treat me, what the heck am I going to do? Any advice on how I can contol these headaches? Ice & heat have helped this past week but not one thing helped last night, pain out of control, worried sick. I am calling pharmacist this morning to check and see if meds. could be contributing, maybe lryica or rebound from oxy but I doudt it since neck is acting up. once again I welcome your input. Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 06:55 AM   #2
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Re: Migraines & neck, can't take it

Sammy,

Oh-girl I feel ya. I was not well either last night and yesterday.

I just do not know what to say. I can't believe that the regular doc can't help you at least until you get into the other doc.

We are so in the same boat I think. I don't know if you read my other posts in some other threads but I swear we are on the same roller coaster.

If it is any comfort at least your not alone.

Sometimes I take a shower either hot or semi cold and that helps for a little while. I know those headaches...you wanna scream and cry.

Being very still in the dark with a pillow on my head works sometimes.

So I have to tell you that I am having some issues myself and I too had a massive spasam and head ache last night. I took 2 percocets and that did not help either. I had pains and burning in my palm and on my arm.

I had gone to chiro yesterday and then to school and it just got worse as the day progressed.

This morning I can feel it coming on already and it is only 7 am here. I guess I will call the chiro and see what he says. The 2 times I went I got in more pain or it is just that the stuff is getting worse.

Sammy I too am very frustrated and have to wait to see the neuro on the 7th. I just don't know what to do!!! I just want this maddness to stop.

We can hang in there a little longer!!! At least we can vent at one another.

Today I hope you have a better day.....
    Chrissy

PS---I am wondering if I should just call my old PM doc and see what he has to say. This really sucks and I just do not know what to do. He could do an EMG and maybe help or suggest something else.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Hi, couldn't both of you go to the ER since you cannot get into your doctor? You shouldn't have to suffer like this because you can't get into a doc.

Sunny

Old 08-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Hey there Sunny!!

I hae thought about it!! Trust me last night when I wanted to scream I felt like going in there. The only thing they would do is just give me a shot of pain meds or muscle relaxers and I have those here at home. Probly not as strong but whatever.

Anyway I called the Chiro back this morning and said that I was miserable and did not know what to do. They said to come in in a while. When I get there I plan on telling him that I am really concerned that I never have felt better. I only feel worse and also that I am having a hard time trusting that his treatments will even work for me.

Later I may even call my regular doc and tell him I am suffering and see if he will help me figure out what to do because he already gave me vicodin which I can't take because it does not help and because it constpates me after I take very little.

I actually have been taking Percocet that is left over from my arm and the PM doc. It helps but I have to take 2 at a time and even then it won't always last long.

Anyway I wonder how Sammy is doing.....Hope you are having a better day.

Check ya later

frustrated CHrissy

Old 08-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
    pauline100
    (female)

pauline100 HB User

Chrissy
    Dont mean to but in here but here in uk we are strongly advised not to go to a chiro with bulging discs as manipulation makes symptoms worse. I was also told not to do pilates or yoga as they involve head hanging down in roll downs etc although I can do the leg exercises and anything that does not involve hanging of head. I am not saying it will stop the pain...hey I have loads too includimg the headaches but I know when I stopped pilates having done it for a couple of months before any one told me I should not! I felt a bit better. was also told not to swim breast stroke as head is held at abnormal angle. have you tried ibuprofen for head pain??? i take 800mgs twice a day of a slow release, called brufen retard here in uk. this helps...does not kill it but takes the real pain away and is also an inflamatory to help with neck. Just some food for thought for you.
    Pauline

Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thanks guys, I took motrin last night & again today, not suppose to because of stomach but I was alittle desparate, I know from experiance if this become a migraine no pain meds will truely work, migraines are inflammation of blood vessels around the brain, & if you have ever had them they are unlike any other headache on the planet.If I understand correctly they have to be completly disolved to get rid of one. I don't even know if they would let me take the meds, needed for migraines along with existing meds, but primary doc said if they continue to come in. I hope I am not crawling by then.

I ask pharmacist about excedrin migraine(better then nothing) of course he said ask your doctor. For now I will up the skelaxin to see if it works @ all. Lryica can cause headaches but doc. says I am on a super low dose so they doubt that is the culprit, upping it tommorrow so I hope not. Anyone else get migraines (vomiting,one sided going to crazy in pain ones), in particularly from the neck? As for ER been there already they give you something while you are there & send you home pretty much in same condition. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 08-28-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #7
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Sammy,

Where is the other post that you were talking about? Is it in here or in the PM part?

Chrissy

Old 08-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
    sess
    (female)

sess HB User

Sammyo1,
    Have you asked your doc about the perscribed meds for just migraines? I take Imitrex and it realy works.

Sess

Old 08-31-2007, 04:49 AM   #9
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sess & Chrissy, used to use the imetrex nasel spray, along with other meds, I am on so many other meds at this time I have to admit I would be alittle fearful of taking anything else. I have uped the muscle relaxer to see if it helps, headache just lingers there, Had to go to bed & leave everyone else to entertain my company the night before last . This is all getting out of hand, doctor said if they become to much come in to office. Chrissy my mind if in left field what post are you referring to? Sorry. Picked up another ice pack, wow that really thrilled me, just what I always wanted. School shopping for my daughter that alone is enough to cause a headache (ha), talk to you later. Sammy
    these headaches really wnat to kick in at late evening/early night for the most part around same time frame does anyone find that strange? couple times had them during day but for most part around same time . Going to ask in other post to (lryica one).

Last edited by sammyo1; 08-31-2007 at 06:00 AM.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:30 PM   #10
    luvmybuds
    (female)

luvmybuds HB User

I haven't read all of your posts, but I seem to have had the same problem as you for about the last 10 years. Severe, frequent migraines, left side of head, also in left neck, around late evening, etc. I had an MRI and it showed I have degeneration in my cervical spine. I just tried cervical steroid injections in my neck 3 days ago, and I actually feel pain free. Could you possibly have something wrong with your spine? Also, as far as the ER, they usually don't want to give out drugs for migraines because they are afraid of drug seekers, but if you have your doctor put it in writing that you have a history of migraines they might give you some better stuff. I've had to do that a few times. It's better than suffering for several days.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
    Post Re: Migraines & neck, can't take it

My experience with migraines is narcotic medications DO create a rebound effect and you actually get caught in a rebound effect from narcotic medication. At least that's my neurologists theory and he never uses narcotic meds to treat migraines.

When I first started getting migraine headaches (many years ago, I think my OLDEST son was maybe a year old). I didn't know what was happening to me, my vision got all distorted, I couldn't think straight, and lights hitting my eyes was like torture (to say I was embarrassed to have my first migraine hit at work was an understatement). My wonderful father had to come pick up at work and drove me straight emergency and of course after an MRI to rule out brain tumor or hemorrhage (which of course I FELT I had and I think we all know our FIRST migraine, we do think we're dying) and I'm not a suicidal person, but I was almost praying for God to take me. I don't even remember what they were giving me in my IV (maybe Demerol), but it was a heavy narcotic and I can remember it NOT touching the pain. That they just kept giving me injections (in 2 hour intervals), that was my FIRST night in an ER. I actually spent MORE time in the hospital with my FIRST migraine than delivering my FIRST son (which I needed NO pain meds for, if that says anything).

Anyway, I was blessed to be able to walk out of the hospital without the migraine, just feeling strange and still experiencing the visual distortion and aura. I was also blessed to get very infrequent migraines from that point and basically was pretty much treated with narcotics for infrequent migraines.

It wasn't until after my twins were born that my migraines became MORE frequent and unrelenting. At times it was like I was caught in a perpetual migraine (mine were pretty typical as far as visual distortion, aura, nausea proceeding the migraine and vomiting and inability to be around ANY light during the migraine). My Primary Doctor referred me to a Neurologist (who I still see 10 years later), whose theory on Narcotics (and I think it's a pretty common view from Neurologists), is that narcotic meds create a rebound effect. For the occasional one-time only migraine, narcotic treatment is a realistic and effective approach. But, for the frequent migraine sufferer other treatment methods are necessary.

To prevent migraines I'm on regular daily dose of Neurontin (which ranges from 1800 mgs to 2400 mgs a day.
    If I still get a migraine even with the Neurontin, I will take a break thru med, the current medication I take is called Axert, which is in the class of migraine medications called Triptans. This is the one that works best for me when I get a migraine, I have also taken Maxalt (can't take it anymore because I can't keep it down) and I have NEVER been able to take Imitrex, makes me terribly ill.

I had been on Neurontin from 2003 - 2005 and my migraines were truly controlled. I eventually worked my way off the medication and it wasn't until a few months after my neck injury (which occurred Oct. 2006), that I started getting the migraines again. Your description is very similar to mine. My migraines had NEVER started this way before, but from the neck injury they started at the base of of skull and literally stretch to the front, with all the visual distortion, aura, nausea of typical migraine (just a different point of entry, I like to say).

When I finally could get into to my Neurologist he started me back on Neurontin, (slowly building to the 1800 mg dose and prescribing Axert for the break-thru migraine).

Unfortunately, with everything going on and my focus on my recovering neck, I became very lazy about taking my Neurontin as scheduled the last couple of weeks and I have to say I paid for it this week, with an UNRELENTING. migraine. I did see my Neurologist who has temporarily increased my Neurontin until I have them controlled again. It almost seems like a process keeping these migraines controlled and I have to say my recovering neck brings a whole new element to it.

I totally believe there is a BIG tie-in between migraines and neck injuries. My situation shows that - My migraines were controlled for two years without medication and then my neck injury seemed to trigger the cycle ALL over again.

At this point my BIGGEST recommendation to you would be to find an excellent Neurologist.
    I have to say mine has been such a God-send. He is so thorough and actually was instrumental in finding out another level was involved PRIOR to my ACDF, he ordered an EMG which discovered another level was involved that my Orthopedic surgeon wasn't even aware of and the EMG also provided another mapping tool for my surgeon. Which I think ALL contributed to my surgery's success. My view is the MORE you have your Doctors communicating and partnering on your case, the better results you will have.

Keep us posted on HOW you're doing. You're in my thoughts!!

~ Jo

Old 09-02-2007, 05:52 AM   #12
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fiona, Just Great, I was hoping there was no connection between neck & migraines, had them since I was 19 on & off, mine would come & after while would refuse to go, always lasted around 28 to 31 days @ a time, every now & then would get a slight numbness w/ aura (black spots floating)& all & it would not last. Have not had one bad in years, mine put me in hospital twice even with newest meds they could not disolve(as they say) the migraine. I was seeing a neurologist years ago, he said birth control brought them on, & big family history of migraines. Although lucky me I got them the worst, last bad episode had stroke like symptoms w/ it. Could barely speak, worst pain of my life. NEVER had them when I was pregnant. I get the aura (black spots w/ vision) tingling/numbness in left side head, even swelling on left side (you could always notice because of my left eye), then boom. I started to vomit after few years with them. I was told about rebound with narcotics, never given narcotics to treat migraines & I know it would not help, ER always tried narcotic injections to make me comforable. I was on the Maxalt, & another (cannot remember the name), also the imatrex(spelled wrong) nasal spray. the others did not help. I could get it tolerable at times for hours but could not get it to dissolve completly, almost like it would go away in its own time. I remember times almost crawling to bathroom, my family would get so fearful. I could never get rid of the numbness & tingling even when the pain would lift. I panic when I think I am geting one, almost always have Auras but at times I wake up with them. I know my neck is acting up so I can only assume it is the neck or meds, I have increased Lryica the other day so hopefully I will be able to tell if it is the Lryica, hard to tell because of neck hurting, hopefully if it is not the Lryica the increase of the lryica will help. I need the Percocet for the shoulder/arm & neck/back pain.Other wise wont be able to move. Catch 22 type of deal.
    SCARED to death of migraines & not afraid to admit it,one doctor said it should not even be called a headache, it is like no other. Light also bothers me when I have them. fluerescent light the worst. All I know is I usally cannot get rid of them for a month so I hope it does not come on like that. I can feel this headache just linger, hate that. Usally around late evening/early night it will start really trying to kick in. Of course if it gets worse I will be @ the doctors in no time. Can see the swelling alittle this moring around the left eye & ear bothing me to. Doctors office said they do not believe it is the other meds causing it, perhaps just Lryica possably (but doudtful cause on such low dose). So trying not to think about it. Trying to keep swelling down in neck hoping that will keep them away. also upped my skelaxin. Sick of this tingling at the top of my head, do you get that? do you get the left side facial swelling? I do feel it starting at the base of the skull to. Even the left side of my throat will hurt, feels like hot pokers behind left eye.Wearing mouth gaurd so I will not grind my teeth at night I know I do, and that can also cause problems.
    I know if It goes full blown I am totally out of commission period. I'll end up in bed all blind closed sleeping & praying, people always told me I look like I am sick, loose all my color when they hit, so wish me luck, so far they are just lingering. Had a couple bad nights & days. Thanks fiona , by the way used lavender oil on my temples & alittle on my pillow to help relax me when I had them, don't know about you but I always tensed up with them could not help it, the oil (the good stuff) did seem to help me relax alittle. You may want to give it a try. Sammy

luvmybuds, I have boneloss/arthristis starting in the cervical up to jaw, I hope this is not going to contribute to this type of problem in the future. Also have it starting in the shoulder, ironically enough so did my sister & she suffered the migraines also, but poor girl has rhuematoid arthritis, since she was in her 20's, she is close to 60 now, I am thankful I do not have that. I will now have some questions for the next doc. appointment thanks to all of you. Not to worried about what ER would think (about drug seekers) since with my migraines the symptoms can be very visable to anyone with eyes. Already know pain meds would not work once migraine is full blown, may take edge off for short time (very short time) that is it, always appreciate everyones replys, you may also want to give the lavender oil a try, sounds silly, but it helped me relax alittle. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 09-02-2007 at 06:09 AM.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #13
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

Sammy - You are in my thoughts. I wish I didn't have the correlation of migraines and the neck issues. And actually I didn't start getting the migraines until 5 months after the initial injury to my neck. I'm not sure what changed because my migraines had been controlled for two years. Which was AMAZING for me. But, when the migraines started hitting I could tell the migraine was originating differently (the pain started at the base of my skull and would move to the front of my head). I could tell it was migraine because of the visual disturbances, aura, difficulty with forming words, etc.

So, I'm sorry you're starting to experience migraines with your neck injury. You've had such a difficult history with migraines, I can see how this would be really scary for you. I totally relate and understand what you're feeling. I have never had a migraine that lasted a month, but I've had them last up to two weeks. In sounds like you've also tried the same medications I've tried and have had similar BAD reactions to them. I know the feeling of not even being able to keep the medication down for a minute.

So, have you tried Neurontin as a preventative medication? Initially, I was reluctant to take it and until my body adjusted to the med it made me feel a bit loopy, but once it normalized in your symptoms there really aren't side-effects (at least I don't experience any bad side-effects) and I've actually experienced better relief from migraines with Neurontin than with ANY other "preventative" type med.

Sammy, We sound so similar with our migraines. When my migraines were at there worst I also experienced the stroke like symptoms you describe and IA it's incredibly scary.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing.

~ Jo

Old 09-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #14
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona, Thanks so much, I am on Lryica which is suppose to be very simular to neurotin, I ask my doctor because I was having strange side effects from Lryica about switching, but said Lryica had less side effects. We will see. I just find it so weird that I am getting these around same time every night. I have been lucky & only had a few real bad days, but this nagging feeling @ the base of my skull is driving me crazy, & I will be some what fearful of having the headaches full blown, my gosh what darn pain you have with them as you well know. I can feel it just sits there, I hope increasing the Lryica will help, only been a few days. I'll tell you tired of pain & tired of medication, get one pain under control & deal with another. Enough to make you crazy. I can understand all you have gone through because I have been there, and I must say migraines, bad ones are probably one of the most painful things to go through. I will take it day by day until get into rehab. doctor & see what he says, weird my ear really has been bothering me since these headaches started. I call them my nightly visitors now, gotta rush home my nightly visitor is paying a call, I should be grateful have not gone full blown, hate having them during the day to. so we will see, thank you so much, I will let you know how the Lryica is doing, gotta go getting irratated by these nagging little pains(right behind my left eye), Talk to you soon, Sammmy

Old 09-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #15
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Sammy,

Wow I am having the worst headache!!!

I went to chiro today and he used to the tool to adjust my neck on the right side. It had gone out over the weekend and caused me so much pain I could not turn my head.
    I just relaxed for most the day and then I got my check so I decided to go shopping for groceries because i was really out of everything.
    The cart was so full and heavy. I could feel it coming on. It is also very hard for me to push a shopping cart because of my wrist fusion and permanent nerve damage.
    Any way my head hurts all the way from the occipital area up and to above my ear and into my eyes. I can feel a spasm strting. Wow as if I need some other symptoms on top of everything else.
    Do you have a numb feeling in your neck?

I am so sick of this. I have taken the pain meds already and the muscle relaxers. No relief only worse. Whatever!!!!!
    I can't believe that after all I went through with the arm and pain I am back in it again only a different part of my body!!! I could just screammmmm.
    sometimes I am resentful of it and I just can't help it.

Do you think that Ice Cream will help??? LOL I don't think even that will.
    I am going to lay down and try to sleep even though it is early. Tomorrow is my long day at school and I try not to go to sleep untill late so that I have an easier time in class.
    Thanks for letting me vent. I think I mentioned in another post that my symptoms are getting no better and they change. Like this is the first really severe headache I have had. I have had them but not like this one in my eyes and all.
    Got no choice but to vent and then deal withit.....URHHHH!!!
    Frustrated CHrissy

Closed Thread