It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Has anyone had to stop working due to Cervical Pain? And what does your day look like

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User
    Has anyone had to stop working due to Cervical Pain? And what does your day look like

Not even sure how to word this, I was wondering how many people have stopped working due to the pain they have post cervical surgery? I have good and bad days and when it is a bad day I do not feel like I can make another day. But I do. My doctor told me many times I will not feel better until I retire. And he is not one to say that lightly. I have a lot of pain in my hands and fingers as well as back neck shoulders arms and on and on and on. I continue onward and do most things I used to to some degree other then running. But I am tired of taking so many pills. On my days off I do not need as many meds and I feel so much better. I just wondered when someone calls quality of life over finances. I am in a position with my career that I can seek a medical retirement which is not much less then I take home now. I do not know if I would be granted it though and cannot afford to loose my leave time in the meanwhile. (I have to have 90 days off work to apply). I can get a part time job down the road if I feel I need the extra money. But hard to give up a fairly well paying job for the uncertain. There really isn't any job that will not require arms and hands to work. Some more then others of course.

And those that continue to work what kinds of meds do you take. Like what does a typical day look like? Mine is getting up at 4am I get to work before I take my meds which is 75 mg Lyrica, 20 mg of Baclafen, 200 + 50 or so Ultram er and regular Tramadol. Sometime depending on how I feel I supplement with another 200 er or continue on with 100-200 Tramadol and more baclofen and finish my day off with 75mg Lyrica and whatever dose I have left of the max 400 Ultram or take a Hydrocodone or Percocet and a xanex. I am not sure anymore how much pain I have. I try to stay on top of it. On my weekends I do not need as much Ultram so down the dosage but keep up with the Lyrica to not get breakthrough nerve pain. OMG when I forget or get hard headed and do not take my meds as above I am in pain pain pain and it takes awhile to get on top of it.

Just curious....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
    pauline100
    (female)

pauline100 HB User
    Re: Has anyone had to stop working due to Cervical Pain? And what does your day look

hi yes i have stopped work,I stopped workwhen I had my accident and waited eighteen months before I was operated on in May last year and have been off since. I only saw pm in june for first nerve block and had to wait untill august for second and now waiting for facet injections. My day is fine because I can work around the pain..I have two dogs and two horses so I get up let dogs out...let horses out and feed in field meanwhile the kettle has boiled time for first gabapentin wait an hour and muck out sencond gabapentin at lunch time then a couple of hours later take dogs out ...etc inbetween I take bufren retard and co-codamol but do not take the co-codamol often as it diagrees with me. I cannot do my job it was very physical for a race course I was stable manager and it involved mucking out my share off 130 boxes and bedding up etc. Like you I have arm neck back shoulder and head pain...my lawyer keeps telling me to get a job but what??? I agree not many that dont involve the arms and i am certain I would be worse off for it..I have trouble getting up as I dont sleep and the pain first thing in unreal. I do find anything out of my routine makes the pain worse. I am moving house at moment and thought i would do some light packing yesterday just bed linen and towels but boy have I paid for it today and not been able to do much but horses....but yes I do feel I can deal with it better at home...if you feel crap you dont do anything and do it when able..you can pace better nothing is forcing you to do something in half an hour....money isnt everything but your health is important and if you can survive without working full time then i would.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: Has anyone had to stop working due to Cervical Pain? And what does your day look

Boy, what a great post.
    I am an elementary school substitute teacher and I am 51 yrs. old You didnt mention your age, but I am assuming it might be in your 50s because of the retirement comment.
    When I work, which is only about 2x per week because for every day I work, it takes me 2 days to recuperate from being on my feet all day. When I get home, I IMMEDIATELY get in the hot tub because I am usually in terrible pain because I cannot take ANYTHING when I teach, because I cannot function and if I take even Advil my stomach rips apart. Then after the hot tub, I sit on my massage chair, then I go up and put a TON of SOMBRA on my weary body. Then, I take the liberty of either drugging myself up with some Valium or a Vicodin to get thru the night. Then to be able to sleep, I have to take Lunesta. When I am not working, I am spending alot of my day trying to make myself feel better with my exercises, heat, SOMBRA, massage chair.....on and on. This is only job I can do where I can pick and choose the days I work. I have been doing it for a long long time and frankly am starting to not enjoy it much anymore because it makes me in so much pain. To top it off, I have chronic sinusitis, which means when ever a kid is coughing in the class (which is always in Colorado), I catch their cold, which 100% of the time turns into a secondary bacterial infection in my sinuses and I am out of commission for a week or 2, as far as working. So, my fondest fantasy would be to not have to work and at least it would minimize my pain in life. I totally hear what you are saying. I totally empathize with you. And I totally understand about watching everything you do so as not to make things even worse. Last weekend I went to a wedding and fast danced. I havent been the same since. I am much worse. I cannot even believe that dancing could cause such a thing. I only have one word to sayL OY!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

Backinthesaddle

Sorry to hear you are in such pain - I remember some of your helpful posts going back a while.

I know everyone reacts to meds differently, but has any doctor reviewed them all for interactions? For me I took Baclofen for a while for muscle spacticity and it slowed my body to a crawl!!! I "felt good" so I didn't realize it at first but then I realized that it was slowing my reactions down, etc. I don't remember the dose I was taking - I think 10mg. I saw a new neuromuscular doc and the first thing he said was get off the baclofen which was prescribed by a physiatrist.

I own my business and therefore retirement is not an option. I do crash some evenings and am perpetually behind in deadlines, etc.

-Gloria

Old 09-03-2007, 04:55 AM   #5
    Backinthesaddle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Hi all, Pauline I have two horses as well and do not get to do much with them anymore. I ride occasionally but not like I used to. My doctor said I can ride as long as I do not fall off. Amazingly I feel ok when I ride. I think since I have a 2yr old that is more the reason I do not ride much. I am not familiar with the medicines you take do they have another name?

SKZ I am actually 44. In my job we have a pension plan that I can retire at 20 yrs. With a OK pension but not enough. If I was granted a medical retirement I would get much more and no taxes so that is a thought. But would have to be able to have it granted. I understand how hard it is on your feet all day, that must really hurt. Most people cannot take their meds while at work. I do becuz I have to or I am in a ball and cannot function. I am a police officer 18 yrs and hurt on duty, I now am in a light duty position.

Hi sunshine how goes it.....I never thought of baclofen causing my tiredness. I do believe a lot of it is getting up around 4-430 am. Then with my 2yr old waking up during the night I wake up too. I have not had a nights sleep in about 4 yrs. Literally. I do better on my days off becuz I can at least sleep until 6-630.

How long have you all been going through all of this? I just wonder what is going to happen when I am in my 50-60's. I have more pain then my 80 yr old parents. I do wish for quality of life. I know I have 4 yrs to 6yrs to do with work in order to retire comfortably and can always supplement with parttime work if I wanted to. I will just have to wait for this third surgery and see how the outcome is on that. I would like to go see a medical massage group and see if someone can work on my pressure points. I dream of a hour of relief without meds.

Last edited by Backinthesaddle; 09-03-2007 at 05:10 AM.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
    pauline100
    (female)

pauline100 HB User

hi back in the saddle
    I love the sense of humour from docs when they say you can ride but dont fall off...mine also said this..as if we want to fall off...like you, when I had this accident i had a yearling who is now 4 and not broken for the obvious reasons...I have ridden but only a few times but I did not feel any worse for it but my horse did not put me under any pressure...all ok while they are behaving themselves!
    my meds, gabapentin is what you call neurontin i beleive and the brufen retard is just ibuprofen in an 800mg slow release dose and co-codamol is codeine and paracetamol. The ibuprofen is more for inflamation rather than pain as my neck is seriously inflamed.
    Going back to the work sbject, is awful hearing how you all suffer because of work, that the pain level increases..this is exactly what i am afraid of it is bad enough being at home and doing that one extra job I cant imagine what it is like for yourselves after a day at work. In the UK they are not very flexible when it comes to hours and days...you work your hours that you are contracted for on the days they are for and god forbid!!! they are not very tolerant of sick leave either...in fact they try to control your life...I had a reasonable job for the racecourse that were quite good providing no racing was going on but the wages were poor so I guess you cant have everything in life...I also had a couple of what I thought were close friends who I worked with...Lo and behold they no longer talk to me...even though one I see regularly as we both live in the same village and my neighbour is a frind of them also.
    In uk we have a saying.......Nothing so ***** as folk!!! I would go along with that! Its amazing what effect pain and injury have on life and the reactions from people even the ones you worked with for ten years!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

Back in the Saddle

I thought I remembered you having horses and hence the moniker. My doc said no (downhill) skiing and I can live with that. I am playing some tennis - I tried golf and had a few bad days so I''m not sure if that's good for the neck.

When I got off the baclofen I was put on Requip (a very low dose) - it's supposed to also make you sleepy but it actually keeps me up - I usually wake at 3am and 4am and go right back to sleep but I get up in the 5am hour to exercise.

I'm 49, I've had problems for three years, surgery (C4-C7 laminectomy) was 2 years ago. Some things get better, some worse, but as much as I hate not walking properly I'll be happy if things stays stable. I have to walk my daughter down the aisle next May - I just shopped for shoes - I found a lovely pair of 2 inch heels but I just couldn't walk in them and I wound up buying a fancy but tight fitting sandle.

I too am concerned what my 50-60's will bring, but meanwhile I take it as it comes.

-Gloria

Old 09-06-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
    Dutchgirl
    (female)

Dutchgirl HB User

Wow I am so glad that you posted this, because I am so so so close to quitting my job, due to pain. It's typing all day, and that just kills me. My ring and middle finger are constantly numb, and YEAH my hands hurt really bad too?? They tried to tell me that it's maybe carpal tunnel, but I know that it's not. That's just an easy answer, because in actuality they have no clue what is causing that!

I've been going through this kind of pain for 4 years now, and I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired, and I really hate it when people at work ask me how I'm feeling, because It's pretty much always crappy, so I just tell them that I'm hanging in there. If I had a chance to retire now at the age of 41 I would do it in a heart beat, and start my own (small) business.

I almost just lost my house again (foreclosure), because the stupid idiotic HR lady forgot to turn in my time cards for ohhhhhh the last month. I had to scrape up change yesterday to even put gas in my car, and believe me they don't care! I called the insurance company that cuts the checks, and she told me that it had just been sitting on her desk, and she hasn't had a chance to get to it??????? While my kids barely have any food?? unreal!

I am also real worried what my 50-60's will bring, and I'm really scared to go through menopause, because I know that is much worse for your bones. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time.

C5/C6 ACDF 08-22-06
    C6/C7 ACDF 05-22-07

Old 09-12-2007, 07:02 AM   #9
    tkb
    (female)

tkb HB User

back in the saddle

Interesting thread, my advice your health comes first, money isnt everything although it does help. I had to give up work almost 3 years ago, yes it drives me insane not being able to function like i used to do, and not having someone to talk to during the day, but what the hell, i couldnt even consider working in the condition i am in. Got ongoing problems from intially from surgery i think, got rsd now, having epidurals top of bottom of spine, popping the pills, i guess i could be sold as a baby rattle! Seriously though, its a tough one, you got to consider if you carry on as you are how are you gonna be for your retirement, try to get out of life as much as you can, life is for living after all. I think day after day what i could do if i was to work again and having looked in the mirror and weighed up all the pros and cons there isnt a single thing i could do which wouldnt make me worse than i already am. I couldnt do any physical work, obviously, and i couldnt sit at desk all day, that makes my legs worse and my right arm and hand gets so painful when typing, writing etc, in fact my fingers go cold and numb so i have to stop at that moment. Also, you've got to consider when you apply for a job do you declare your health problems? How many employers would want you, you are a liability so i guess that answers it for you. Forget work, you cant help how you are, you've paid your taxes and given you all for many years to retire.
    Thats my view folks, best wishes to you and all, tkbx

Closed Thread