It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C5-C6 Cord Compression and Urinary Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
    erica1976
    (female)

erica1976 HB User
    C5-C6 Cord Compression and Urinary Problems

Hi All,

Thanks for reading this..Ok, here's the problem. Always had herniated discs in my neck, but since the injury that caused my cord compression, I think I am also having bladder problems..

I had not had a UTI since I was eight years old. Now, post injury, i think i am going on my second UTI. For the past 2 weeks or so, i am noticing involuntary urinary drippings throughout the day. Now I feel like i am getting a UTI. I called my neuro who suggested I call my internist or gyno. I asked if the cord compression is causing this and he thinks mine is not significant enough to cause urinary problems. I am convinced otherwise. Should I go to another neuro or just treat this as a standard UTI? The doc said that if the urine test comes up positive for UTI then you know it's a UTI causing the dripping. But can't the cord compression cause the dripping which then caused the UTI???? Is my thinking accurate? Or should I not be concerned that this is related to my cord compression?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by erica1976; 09-04-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User
    Re: C5-C6 Cord Compression and Urinary Problems

Hi, Your neck problems are not actually causing the uti. Could they be causing the dripping ?? Possibly.

There are many things that trigger dripping, an untreated UTI can cause dripping. There are other things that can cause this problem, including:
    weight gain, pre and post pregnancy, age, infections, other diseases - stones in the bladder causing irritation. You should go see your primary care or gyno on this and get it checked out. Also ensure you properly take the medicine they give you to ensure the UTI is completely eliminated (if you have one).

Bye

Old 09-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
    mcarr36
    (female)

mcarr36 HB User

If you are on pain meds, that could be the cause. It is a side effect of many of the pain meds. Hope you find help soon!

Old 09-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

Ask your NS. I was having extreme urinary urgency just prior to my surgery and the Neurologist and NS both said that it WAS from my cord compression (C4-C7)

Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

it "could' possibly be causeing it if you look at what urinary problems can cause.if you are retaining urine and having other issues as well,it could cause some level of infection,but it would be a more less likely reason for it.all it takes is a bit of bacteria to enter into the urethra and bingo,UTI.if you are intermittantly having periods of incontinenece the opening,or when it opens it could possibly cause the entrance of bacteria.you know what i mean,or am i just confusing you more?

my bigger concern for you is the way you are kind of being blown off here by your neuro.when you said neuro,does that mean a neurologist or surgeon?i honestly think getting a second opinion of your injury and symptoms from a totally different NS would really benefit you the most right now.you have a big symptom there that he just does not seem to really think is even an issue.it is.

just what is the extent of your injury and what caused it.how compressed is your actual cord at this point?any myelomalacia yet?what does your latest MRI state about your injuries?how long ago did this actually happen?any surgery done?sorry for all the questions i am just trying to get a better understanding of your overall situation.thanks.just get a urine culture done and see what does or does not actually show.you can have this done right at your primarys office.you can also speak with your primary about a possible referral to a new and more caring NS too.hope this isn't a UTI i know what a pain they can be.please keep us posted on things.if you could answer the questions i asked it really would be most helpful.Thanks,Marcia

Old 09-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
    erica1976
    (female)

erica1976 HB User

Thanks for your concern, Marcia

My Neurologist said to see what happens with UTI test and then call him if it's not a UTI. I went to the gyno today who said it was a very slight infection, but was surprised by all the urininary discharge without full blown infection. He think it's possible it is related to injury, and gave me script for urodynamics test to look at my bladder functioning.

Some background on my injury: I have had a herniated C5 C6 for many years, but due to an injury last year where i felt my spine being pulled/stretched out, i have now been diagnosed with c5c6 compression. I've had too many crazy symptoms to count. Some symptoms are (some come and go but some are pretty constant):feeling like i am breathing heavy, arm and leg heaviness, pain and weakness, headaches, problems swallowing, abdominal spasms, etc, feeling of my whole body being "off". My MRI says the disc "impresses the left aspect of the thecal sac and flattens the cord to the left of midline. Also mentions possibility of calcific density (not sure what that means). Severe c6 nerve impingement was also noted. EMG showed some minor nerve damage in the area.

Havent really committed to surgery at this point but if urinary problems are related, I may have to.

Last edited by erica1976; 09-06-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
    paranormal2
    (male)

paranormal2 HB User

I think it can. before my surgery, I had been taking saw pallmetto for 5 years thinking i had enlarged prostate, but after my surgery, I noticed a difference in my urine flow, immediatley.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #8
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

I had cord compression at c6-7. I had a couple of month period where I had urine retention. It didn't seem to matter how much fluid I drank...I just never had the urge to go. This symptom went away and has not presented itself again since my ACDF 7 months ago. Most of the awful pain and neurological symptoms remain...but, the urine retention thing is gone. Who knows?
    Mona

Old 09-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just to make sure i've got this straight here.you DO have a confirmed compressed/impinged c 6 nerve,ALONG with having compression of the actual cord,to the left of midline,correct?does your report state anything about any showing of myelomalacia yet?anywhere?

the one big difference i noticed between the radiculopathy that i had with just my herniated c 6-7 before the fusion and what i am now feeling mostly because of my spinal cord injury is SENSATION.lots of sensations from hell that i cannot even begin to describe,along with 'perceptionary' types of pain/sensations.just plain freaky.i can usually tell now what is stemming from the SCI and what is just my c spine continueing to fall apart just based on the "type' of pain or sensation i am feeling.since both the biggest disc issue and my actual SCI are almost in the exact same place,it would otherwise be a bit hard to tell what was causing what.its the 'types' of painsations(my new word) that i feel that tell me what little part of my spine ick is causing that particular hell that day.just plain wierd.

the big thing here is once your actual cord has become involved it(the cord itself) just runs so many different body system functions thru it(including your pain pathway to to the pain receptors within the brain,a whole other story there) within the spinal tracts themselves that you can feel things in sooo many different areas of your body Vs when you have a herniation that only effects like one particular dermatome,well,it can just create alot of extra problems to have to deal with that you wouldn't otherwise have with a simple herniation,ya know what i mean?i am sure you can feel that big difference.hopefully they can fix this befroe you start showing real damage to the cord with the beginnings of myelomalacia.the myelo starts from the continued compressive forces exerted upon one spot in/on the cord wall.it is real damage that is basically a softening or granualizing of your cord tissue.you do not want to let it get to this point.you just need the compression relieved to prevent that from occuring.luckily the cord has a couple of protective layers it would have to go thru before it actually got to the 'real' cord/tissue/tracts itself.i wish you luck with this and hope they can do something for you sooner rather than later.Marcia

Closed Thread