It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 5 months post ACDF, zip, nada, zero improvement, where to turn?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User
    5 months post ACDF, zip, nada, zero improvement, where to turn?

Hi Everyone,
    I am 5 months post ACDF on C6-7, cord compression. I am a screwed up mess. Don't know if it's from my neck or I have some other mysterious problem that no one can determine. I suffer all the same pain, numbness, twitching, balance/dizzy issues, racing nervous system, tremors etc. as I did prior to the surgery. I can be numb and weird anywhere from my face and/or tongue, to my toes, no kidding. I have just been doing this waiting game and there is absolutely no change. I know I am depressed as I am so tired of feeling terrible. Sometimes it's so bad I feel like I might pass out, seizure or something, but haven't...yet.
    I guess I'm posting looking for ideas for where to turn, I'm at a loss. Seems any doc I see (mind you I haven't bothered in months) wants to give me some sort of Rx, Neurontin, a beta blocker, whatever and send me on my way, none of which have made much difference with my symptoms. I've had 2 brain MRI's, a spinal tap, loads of blood work etc. Any ideas for me? Sorry to be such a downer. I know Marcia one time talked about possible damage to the sympathetic and/or parasympathetic nervous system? Or possible permanent cord damage? Would it all be this far reaching? How is this determined? I guess I'm looking for answers to know that either 1. This is my new life and it can't be fixed. or 2. What my problem is exactly and is there any help for it. Thanks for your input.
    Mona

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: 5 months post ACDF, zip, nada, zero improvement, where to turn?

I think if I were in your position, I would keep seeing neurologists till I got some answers. That seems to be what I always have to do with any chronic problem I have had. I have go thru a ton of Drs. before I find one I like, who really has a clue. Sorry you dont feel better after the fusion.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
    Dutchgirl
    (female)

Dutchgirl HB User
    Re: 5 months post ACDF, zip, nada, zero improvement, where to turn?

Hi Mona, I'm so sorry that you are still hurting so much! That really does NOT sound good at all (the face and tongue numbness)! I would ask if they can do another MRI a.s.a.p!!! I really really hated the Neurontin, because it made me feel like CRAP! I also couldn't go to the bathroom for almost 2 weeks, and then they gave me all these other meds to take like Miralax, and Senokot to help with constipation, which did not help me at all.

So I'd rather feel the pain then take those kind of meds! The one thing that helps me sleep is Valium, and that's about it! I feel like my neck is going to break at night, while sleeping. Cymbalta helps me keep sane, and at least not care so much that I'm in pain. My little brother (he's 37) had a 3-level ACDF last week. Crazy!!

C5/C6 ACDF 08-22-06
    C6/C7 ACDF 05-22-07

Closed Thread