It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Miami J Cervical Collar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
    Darlray2
    (female)

Darlray2 HB User
    Miami J Cervical Collar

Hi everybody

My husband is having an ACDF tomorrow. The neurosurgeon gave him his Miami J collar the other day to wear. When he went to pay for the visit, the girl at the desk told us the bill was $725 for that day !!! The Ossur Miami J Cervical Collar was $421!!!! Is that right? Does anyone know????

Darla

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Miami J Cervical Collar

i don't know what the actual price is for this collar(i had the same thing with my last surgery)but it should not be being billed thru your NS it should show up on the surgery bill.mine was not obtained thru my NS but at an orthotics place in a different place.they just sent the bill to my ins co and that charge was included with my surgery bill from the hospital since it was a needed part of my surgery.you should speak with your ins co and find out how this should have been billed.you should not have realistically had to pay for that collar the way you did.seems a bit odd to me.good luck with the surgery,let us know how it goes.Marcia

Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

That sounds ridiculous. I think my copay was around $75, and I think the total cost was around $300. This is def not worth $725. I got mine direct from Hagar Orthotics place, dr. wrote prescription.

I also found them direct online for $75, all you need to do is get the size. If I were you I wouldn't pay the dr. price if you don't have ins or low copay. all i did to look online was use Miami J and easily found them.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
    Darlray2
    (female)

Darlray2 HB User

Thanks for replying.

My husband said he had to pay up front because they are not a carrier of our insurance. We have to file it ourselves.

It is odd the way they went about it though, I had a ACDF done in 2002 and got my collar the day of surgery and never saw the bill for it. It was the same group of neurosurgeons. I had to pay office visits up front, but insurance reimbursed us. I guess we do the same with the collar.

I was just shocked at the price of the Miami J and just wondered if there was just a BIT overpricing going on there. The brand is OSSUR and NO pricing is available on their website. You have to be registered and in a medical profession of some sort.

My husband's surgery went well. He came home this evening. They do a whole lot of things different from when I had mine done. They used a peice of hip bone for mine. We were under the impression it was the same, but they used some type of material stuff. Sorry I don't know the name of it, we just realized it today.

Everything was explained to me before I had my surgery. Not so with my husband. It was kind of a rush job. He has been in pain for so long, and the neurologist actually told him nothing was wrong. Maybe arthritis. He brought the MRI disc home, we looked at it and I had a fit because I KNEW he had two herniated disc pressing on his spinal cord. It was OBVIOUS!!!! He went to our family doctor who made the appointment with the neurosurgeon right away. The nerosurgeon was surprised and was quick to help him. I am glad for that. I can definitely relate to the pain!!!!!!

Thanks again,

Darla

Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey neck P,are you sure that wasn't actually 'hanger" orthotics?this where i went too.they are a huge maker of prosthetics and ortho equipment.they fitted my collar perfectly.much better fit than i had with that godawful philly collar from hell(for my first surgery)which i had told them before hand would need to be a ped size?no,they threw on an adult small,couldn't even see my flippin mouth whenever i sat down and it pushed up.good fit there ya know.Marcia

Closed Thread