It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Tired of all this pain!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
    Unhappy Tired of all this pain!!!

Hello Everyone,

I am so sick of all this stuff. I just want to feel better!!! I am sure you all can relate.

When I get up in the morning I can barley even move my arms because that burning in the back of my shoulder.

I am no longer on that Fentanyl patch because I was itching all over my body. SO I am still on the percocet.

On Thursday I will see the PM doc that I saw for my workers comp arm injuries. He is a good doc and he listens.

I have had the spasms and headaches and that deep burning pain down in my bra line area and I am just tired of it. My back and neck are numb and if I do to much walking I limp.

Even though that stupid PM doc did the injection where it was not ordered I still had no relief form any of the symptoms. I can't believe after reading his notes he figured I was to go off all the meds. What a jerk...how does he know how I feel...I could not even explain anything to the guy.

So I have been walking because I really do need to move but it does hurt me to do it. It aggrivates thinngs I do it for digestion, weight and to get outside and move around. Gotta smell the fall air right?

I got my settlement papers for workers comp so I am done with all that and Had planned to return to work when all that was over but what am I going to do now?

All this time I worked to get in a better place with my arm and now this!!!

I am so sad right now and I know that it does not help with the pain.

My sleep patterns are all weird and I never feel like going out with friends anymore. These are not good things for me and I am glad that I will see my PM on Thursday because I know I can tell him all this and we will work through it together.

So sad and frustrated...the arm thing lasted 3 years and I was already pretty tired when the car accident happened and now it just seems like there is no end in sight for this stuff.

I hated the way that epidural made me feel. I was like wired for days and I hated that. I don't even want to experience that again but I will have to I guess because the Neuro wants it done and this time in the RIGHT PLACE..

I totally trust the PM i will return to. He did one on a friend, and he does it in the hospital setting with the relaxation meds. It did not work for her either.

Frustrated and in pain...thanks for letting me vent....Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
    Ronn9
    (male)

Ronn9 HB User
    Re: Tired of all this pain!!!

I know how you feel, 5 yrs ago I had a spider plate inserted in my wrist with 6 screws (VERY painful), then 2 yrs ago I had a ulnar nerve tranposition in my left arm, then a little over a yr ago I had my ACDF c-5 thru c-7 now just last month I had the Posterior fusion with plating aswell C-5 thru C-7, It is frustrating, it can be depressing, But remember . If it dont kill you , It must make you stronger, right? Damn I must be one strong guy..as you must be a strong woman...lol..hang in there we have good days too, right? sometime? once and awhile, ok. a couples times, ahhh forget it.........

Old 09-16-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I am with you, I started a new thread, just can't seem to feel better, inflammation getting worse, did not think it was possable. I guess Chrissy we have to get through this, we don't have a choice, & keep a postive attitude. Hard to do. Could not extend my arm at all this morning, to much darn pain. I have been a b with an itch, ruined our family night out to dinner. I asked myself this morning what does it feel like to wake up with no pain? got a ct on tuesday & appointment the following monday & going to lay it on the line with the doc.. No more waiting, got to try something to get rid of this inflammation. Plain & simple no more waiting. So I feel for you, I really do, Look at it this way only the strong survive, & after all you have been through you are strong! Hang in there & so will I. Sammy

Old 09-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Thanks everyone,

Yes we all have our fare share of stuff don't we.

I feel sick to my stomach from pain today and I don't like that. I have also been up since 4 am this morning. and took the pain meds at 5 am so can't take them again untill around 11. WHatever!!! I just have a pissy attitude right now.

I have the worst spasms and pain today and on top of that I have some family issues that are out of control. They don't even live near me and I am allowing it to get to me. There is a lot going on in the family. Small thing grew to a big thing full of emotional hurt and lots of dysfunction.

So all that junk makes me feel worse!!! Also sad about it too.

It will hurt me to go and sit through an hour and a half AA meeting this morning but I am just so darn sad about my health and now all the family crap that I gotta get out of myself even if it means to sit in that meeting suffering in total pain. I can get up and leave if I need to. It is only like eight blocks from my house incase I gotta leave in a hurry.'
    Chrissy

Old 09-17-2007, 12:55 AM   #5
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

Chrissy - I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. I do completely understand and relate. I know I'm still not 100% since the surgery, actually I feel like I'm only functioning at about 50 % which makes me sad because I expected to be functioning at a much higher level by now. I guess it's about baby steps.

But, I really can empathize with the pain you're in and the feeling that you get through one significant health issue and then you're faced with another (I was dealing with my lumber spine issue and finally felt for the most part pain free) - I was finally in a good place with that and then I had the cervical spine injury and pain to deal with.

I know we can't take away your pain (and I'm sorry I'm not on as regularly as I could be), but know there is a lot of support and understanding here. This board helps me more than I can say. I've also gotten great ideas from this site.

You continue to be in my thoughts and I do hope you get relief from the pain soon.

~ Jo

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 09-17-2007 at 04:01 AM.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:58 AM   #6
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Thanks Fiona,

This board is a life saver for me. Everyone here understands what it is like to be in this situation.

I am going to call the neuro this morning and explain that I feel I am having weakness and numbness in my left arm. I am so sad!!!

I know you can relate! I worked so har to get the strength back in my left arm and now I feel it slipping away and becomming weak. I am totally scared and that I know does not help the pain but I am human and I can't help it.

Fiona I wish I had some words of encouragement for you...the only thing I can say is that it just takes time to get better. Surgery takes so much out of us.

I should listen to my self. I understand that it takes time to get better, but I am surely you are and impatient person to. We just want to get back to being able to do life with out so much pain and of course our mobility.

OK I am rambling now!!!
    Gotta do some homework this morning....Chrissy

Old 09-20-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Chrissy, How are doing? How is school & vists with the Chiro going? Keeping you busy I would imagine.
    I have rehab. appointment monday. I no longer look forward to these appoiments. Had a ct done of the chest. I have feeling there will be another doctor in my future. My work is wanting me to increase my hours. So do not want to do that. My daughter has homecoming in a couple weeks so I am excited for her, it will be her first one. I swear it is those little things that keep me going. I will try to give this doc. alittle push on monday to try some type of therapy, tired of all this pain & meds. I just have been coming home from work & laying around, don't have the energy for much else right now. I even decreased my muscle relaxers in hopes I would not be so tired. It is that time of the month so I am sure that has something to do with it, I need an energy boost. Hope all is going well with you, Sammy

Old 09-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #8
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi Sammy,

I am sorry to report that I am just fed up! Sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Went to the my old PM today and he wants to do things a little different than the neuro does. Fine whatever!!!
    He prescribed me a weeks precsription of some kind of oral steroid. Don't like the idea at all but willing to go along.
    He ordered another set of x-rays with flexion and extention of the neck. Did that this afternoon.
    He dicided that he wants me to have an EMG and some trigger point injections first because he does not think that at this point the epidural will be the right thing. Soo I will do that on October the 1st. Another stupid procedure!!! Thats how I feel!!!

Then he dicided that I should get my Percocet from my regular doc. Not sure why but the only thing I can think of is because his office is a 50 mile round trip for me and he does not do it on a refill basis you have to go to his office for refills. So he says he will fax everything to the regular doc. I mentioned I was almost out of the percocet even had them out so he could see. I was under the impression he was going to fax the info today.
    So when I called the regular doc they did not have it yet so I called him back and the pm back and ....well anyway it became this huge pain in my *** that I freaked out over because I am supposed to go to my parents house 2 1/2 hours away for a birthday party for my Mom.
    I was freaking out thinking about being thrown into an unnessessary detox and that the regular docs office must think I am drug seeking.
    It all got resovled for the moment because the regular doc finally said yes but I am telling you I am just so sick and tired of it all.

I hate the pain and dispise the meds that are barley working for me anymore. I take the max amount on a daily basis and still have huge amounts of pain. My life is consumed with these flipping appointments all the time and I am just tired.

I want to live without all this pain and well I don't even need to go on because you live it too!!!!

I feel like I am getting no where.
    I am sorry that I have not posted in a while. I am really sad and i cry alot and I isolate a lot. I know it is not good but I can't help it right now.
    Eventually I will stop feeling sorry for myself and get into the solution instead of focusing on the negative but for right now this is it.

I hope that therapy helps you some. When do you see the rehab doc? Please let me know how it goes... I think of you all the time, but I have just been down a bunch lately.

When I go to my parents this weekend it will be a rough deal all the traveling and family stuff and I have an exam I am studying for, but the good news is that I will take my computer and be able to chat with you. I am usually on early in the morning and I am in Nevada near Reno so like between 4-6 am usually.
    Anyway hope your well and thanks for thinking of me....

Chrissy

Old 09-21-2007, 05:11 AM   #9
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Chrissy, My heart goes out to you, it really does. I can only say I feel the exact same. I replied to post yesturday & I said I think the most depressing part of this all is dealing with the doctors. I am sorry to all the good docs out there but the last thing I want is to have this pain & stay on meds. I am anticipating getting a hard time monday because I have to ask for a refills.
    Like you I hate the stuff. I swear one word from this doc & I am telling him oh yes I love to be constipated, tired, forgetful, & most of all I love being a b with an itch. That is how the stupid meds make me feel.
    I know exactly how you feel, I went to put clean sheets on the bed & snap there went my scapula, man I am sick of this. I live in fear the doctor will say no more pain pills, I am taking my stuff in with me so he can see I don't over do it with the stuff, don't know if that will make a difference or not.
    I give you alot of credit I could in no way drive 2hrs, I drive 45 minutes for my daughter & half time can barely do that. Tired of depending on others. I swear chrissy if this doc. monday don't fill my meds I am in big trouble. god knows I have tried to go with out them on my own, & the pain is just to much. Sends my vitals sky rocketing. I honestly believe because it is in the chest area it is worse. I get depressed just thinking about the appointment monday, I just feel like I am being experimented with & passed along. I am trying to be patient but I can't stand it anymore. My work is on me to increase my hours & the thought of that just makes me a nervous wreck.
    Just hang in there, I know how you feel, I want to climb back in bed this morning but I have to go to work, so I am praying for good day, I am so swollen I don't even want to get in the shower & move my body. We will have to get through this all together & have faith & hope. I trust god more then any doctor. I will keep you in my prayers. Think good thoughts. Talk to you later, Sammy

Old 09-21-2007, 06:55 AM   #10
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Hey Sammy,

I am so glad that I have you in my life right now because I needed to hear you say that you are woking on trusting God.

I feel the same as you and I am really having a hard time with acceptance. SOme days I am really good and move through my day well and other days I am full of anger and resentment of my situation. It is a terrible little battle in my head.
    The thing is that I am very stubborn and I know that if I just invite God into my heart when I am feeling angry and resentful...he will help me! Sometimes I just fight and hold on to the resentment for what I just don't know. It really serves no purpose at all and when I am doing it I can't seem to remember that.

Yes the drive is a long one. It is a beautiful drive through the Seirra's but I have not driven that far since the accident so I really can't say how I will feel. I will be bringing my heating pad and my tens unit so that while I am there I can use them for temporary relief.
    There is some tensions going on with my father at this time and he is not speaking to me (long story) and I am not sure if he is really even talking a whole lot to my Mom, so the "air" in their house will be full of tensions.
    I explained to my mom that I really have a lot of studying to do and to please not be offended if I am in the bedroom working on my studies. I am sure that it will all work out.
    On Saturday I will have to ride in the car for the 1 hour and 45 min trip to my sisters for my mom's Bithday party. Oh that time is one way. So lots of travel for me this weekend.

Icertainly hope that the rehab doc refills everything for you. I totally freaked out thinking I was going to be thrown into a detox. I totally understand.

I too am suffering a bit with the constipation at this time as well. I have been taking the Miralax to try and get it going again but not really much luck yet. I totally understand. These docs don't know because they are not us. Yes they see many in our situation but they can't posibly understand fully about what we go through.

Well I need to get into the shower..that always heps to feel good while I am in it. Whish I could be in it all day.
    Anyway I will check back later when I get to my Moms this afternoon and let you know how I am doing.....
    Thanks again for being a good friend....Chrissy

Old 09-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Chrissy, BAD day, thought I would not make it to work. So I know what you are saying, I do not cuss much but today was the exception. so much pain & swelling in the left chest my heart rate went bonkers. No way can I increase my work hours. Wait till I tell them that. I think I will take someone to the rehab. doc on monday perhaps he will be alittle more patient with someone else there. What do you think? Also what do you think about taking my meds in with me so they know I am not abusing them, think that will make a differece? I am sick of worrying about these doctors. If they want us off the meds they need to speed up the process on finding something that will help. Yes I am serious about trusting god, I have seen miracles happen with prayer, hard to believe but I have. I need to have more faith myself lately. I don't know it is like this pain is all consuming & you forget about everything else. But I need god more then he needs me.
    As for family I know I have some issues with my sister right now, she has hurt me very bad, I have always been there for her, always & when I need her she has turned her back. I have to get rid of this anger & the only way to do it is with gods help. I have 7 sisters & 2 brothers. Of course there are times we don't see eye to eye. I am the youngest & miss my parents so I often turn to my sisters (even though I am the one who usually ends up helping them). so I get more hurt when I need them (which is not often) & they are not there. I kind of feel they fill in alittle for our parents. Families are not perfect, none of them. I hope your problems work out, you don't need it right now. Get as much enjoyment as you can while you are away, try not to let anyone interfer with that. you deserve some happiness, & only you can control how much you let others effect you. I am trying to take my own advice also, so I am sending you some good vibes. Sammy

Old 09-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #12
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Hey Sammy,

Sorry to hear that you had such a tough day. I just wish that we could get a few good days in a row. Give us a little time to breathe ya know???

I do think that taking another person to your appointment is a good idea because sometimes it is good to have more eyes and ears. As far as the medication goes when I was in Pain management before I always brough my meds even though he never really asked. Maybe that is part of the reason he figured that the regular doc could do it. I saw the guys for almost a year and he obviously knows that I did not abuse them. So yes I think it is a good idea.

I finally got the prescription this morning from my regular docs office. The nurse left me a message saying they were going to do it but that they spoke to the PM docs office and told them that they (reg GP) does not want to be in charge of dispensing the pain stuff. Whatever!!! Right!! It was all a bunch of unessessary crap as far as I am concerned. It the really want to know if your abusing them they can find out!!!

Well I made it the 2 1/2 hour drive and I am pretty sore. I am resting now. Just had dinner around 5 and then I went out to say hello to my horse. Give him some carrots and let him love on me for a while. If I had not hurt my neck I would have been visiting here all summer riding him. Now he is FAT and needs exercise...LOL anyway it is nice to be here despiter that my Dad is not speaking to me. I have decided to leave him a note down by my horses pasture. I will leave it the morning that I leave...Sunday morning.
    I just want him to know that I am sorry I yelled and that it hurts my feeling when he calls me names. I want him to know that I love him anyway and I miss him. Then I will leave the rest in Gods Hands and try my best to not expectr anything to come of it.

I am sorry that you have such issues with your sisters to. Family dynamics are a tough one and evy family has its issues.

I will be on in the AM Early I am sure.
    Oh I am on the steroids and they really make me feel weird. Funny taste in my mouth and feel wired sometimes.

Have a good night....Chrissy

Old 09-22-2007, 05:09 AM   #13
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Chrissy, glad to hear you made it. My GP does not prescribe pain meds on a regular basis either. I got the same reply from their office. Even though they are the ones who put me on them. They said who ever was the treating physcian was to prescribe them, if not they would send me to a pain managment doc. So I guess this is something that GPs normally do.
    I know what your saying I could not get undressed last night my husband pulled my dress off over my head & just him pulling had me in tears, terrable pain this morning, can't figure out why it is getting worse, must have been what ever I heard snap thursday evening in that shoulder area. Nothing relieved the pain yesturday. I am icing as I am typing.
    Your family has horses, my daughter would love that. My sister in Florida just got a horse, She emailed me pictures. His name is Ringo. Cute. I think notes are good for people, not only do you write out your feelings but the person reading it gets it alitttle more, I just did that not long ago. Saved my friendship with my best friend, could not talk about it, got me no where, so I sat down & wrote her aong letter & everything was much better. Maybe I will do that with my sister, although she is so spoiled not sure it would matter. She is one of those people who feels what ever she does is fine, but no one else can do it. I am going to work on building a better relationship with god. I have to admit every time I stop attending mass for any length of time my life gets more complicated, shame on me because in the past I have asked god for his help & wisdom & he was there for me. Every single person I know invovled with their religion or just god is happier. I have seen things you would not believe. Honest to God. I wish you lived around here because there is this little church (its not even our church) where so many people are helped. I am serious. The pastuor & his wife are powerful in faith & healing. I have seen it. More then once. I mean flat out miracles. Not only in that church but there is another priest I know who has the same efffect. In fact next healing mass I am going. Just missed one because I was volunteering my time to help an older couple. One day I will tell you a couple stories if you would like, & I swear Chrissy they are real. I will tell you a quick one, my husband flew out to Florida when his sister was diagnosed with cancer(bad, through out the body) she is only 44. He felt he had to see her. So his old boss who is also a friend, he belongs to the small church I mentioned they all had been praying for her asked the pastuor for a prayer to send with my husband, he told him to have all family that was there ( which was not much) we all live here, to gather around her together as the prayer was said. My husband waited for everyone to be at the hospital together & proceeded with the prayer. She was extremely ill, filled with fluid through out the whole body, bad, she said she looked huge,due to the cancer.My husband said he was speechless when he seen how she looked. We also sent things to her blessed by the priest I mentioned. Well the next day the fluid started to go down, & honest to god she said could not believe it, she felt better everyday. for the first time since she started feeling ill. Even her doctors were surprised. The funny thing is her husband was always a non believer. Well not any more. She cried when my husband left for home. He told me when he got home it was so unbelievable when he was saying this prayer he could feel the power as he was praying over her. Mind you we are your average people not caught up in our religion like some, we attend different churches of different faiths at times. She called me days after & cried, she said she knows that through that prayer she was helped, she drastically changed after that day. She will find out next week how well chemo has been working, the doctors just did a scan. That my friend is nothing compared to some of the things I have seen or heard. Two completly religions, two different faiths. got alittle personal there but had to tell you. Yet here I am missing all these masses, see shame on me. All caught up in my own misery & pain. That is going to change. I will be praying for you also, I always pray for piece of mind, & I really need that now. you hang in there & enjoy your visit. Sammy

Old 09-22-2007, 06:27 AM   #14
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

Good Morning Sammy,

Thanks so much for the story....it was awesome.

The power of God and Faith is so awesome. What I just do not understand about myself is that if I know and believe in it why is it that I resisit it sometimes?

Twelve step groups are not religious but do promote the idea of having a God of your own understanding. I went to a Catholic school when I was younger and when I go to church it is usually in a catholic one but the Catholic part is not really the deal for me.

My God is not necessarliy religous. It is about the conscious contact that I have with my God and the spirituality that is growing within me. I try my best to live a spiritual path. Progress not perfection.

It takes much practice to live a spiritual path. I pray all the time just like you! I seem to have a constant dialog that goes on with God.
    My problem is that when I get resentful and angry I am pretty much blocking out the power of God and sometimes when I am doing that I make poor choices or act inappropriately. No big surprise there right??

Anyway...yes horses are so cool!! I have had a passion for them ever since child hood and I was very involved with them when I was growong up.
    Horses are so spiritual to me. I love the way they look and the expressions on their faces. We have wild horses around where I live so it is very cool to catch a glimpse of them every now and again.

Yes I too wish that we lived near to eachother. I used to go to a support web site for hysterecty stuff. A forum similar to this one. It was really cool because you could send a privated message that would go directly to a persons e-mail. It would be nice if they had that on this site because we could exchange photos and or phone numbers ect.

I really do appreciate having you in my life. You really mean a lot to me. I think that God puts people into our lives for a reason and I think that he brought you into my life as a teacher and a friend to share this experience with. SO thank you for being you!!!

My pain level is a bit exacgerated today. I am sure that it is ion part from the drive and of course from sleeping in a different bed. I am just sitting here in the bed with the computer on my lap drinking coffee and getting ready to study. Just like home except I would be at my desk or on the couch.
    So I better get to work on some home work. The good news is that the teacher changed the Exam date to Wed. so that gives me some extra study time.
    Check you later....Chrissy

Old 09-23-2007, 05:05 AM   #15
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

chrissy,
    what ever path you follow with prayer is great. I do not judge, we have one jugde & jury & it not here on this earth. I am so glad you are in school. your future is looking good. I ended up in urgent care yesturday the pain was just to much, hurt to breath, could not move my arm @ all. Cried if anyone touched or tried to move it. My husband was furious that I am still in this pain. Poor doctor, had to deal with my husband. I was so swollen 31/2 hrs. in there with about 7 ice packs & lots of meds, steroids once again. Doctor was really understanding & did not make me move much as my husband told him not to. Could not take it anymore. Entire left side was swollen, what ever crack/snapped on thursday is causing this to rage out of control.
    My husband wants to come monday to my appointment but I told him no way, he gets to angry. So my arm is in a sling to keep it from moving to much in hopes it wont aggravated everything else to see if I can control the swelling, already in muscle spasm this morning. The doc. said I had to have something to take for the swelling, so he put me on naproxen double dose, have not tried anything like that in years, never helped with anything before but I will give it a try. He & his nurses were shocked at how long I have had to go like this & the docs. taking their time. I told my husband I can't take this much more. It is moving into other areas because it is so swollen up. I am probably in trouble with my work when I tell them I can't pick up anymore hrs. The horses would lift my spirits they are so peaceful just to watch., they are so majestic. I hope everything goes well for you this weekend & all though we talk via cyber space I am here for you. Doc. appointment tomm. I have no clue what will happen but I plan on giving him a nudge. ER doc. said the shoulder area should have had an MRI done on it, he thinks it may be contributing to problems. He also said given my kind of pain I should be in pain managment. I may well end up there can't take this much more. You take care of youself & good luck studying. Sammy

Closed Thread