It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Post ACDF- Massage does it help or hurt?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User
    Post ACDF- Massage does it help or hurt?

To all of you here who have already had surgery and still in pain, have you had a massage post surgery and did it help?

Prior to surgery I tried about 5 different people all with various techniques and was in agony.

Yes It felt good at the time of massage and several hours later felt 100 times worse. So I reallly do not want to try this unless someone has had positive results.

All I want to do is get this pain out of the left side of my neck and left trap!!!!!

j

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User
    Re: Post ACDF- Massage does it help or hurt?

Oh gee, I know what you mean about that left trap. Geezzz doesnt that just make you wanna scream? I have only gotten one massage since my surgery due to $$$$$$$$$$ issues. It helped me alot, but I cannot afford them anymore.
    Have you tried putting Theracare heat pads on that left trap/neck area. (long-wise). It takes the edge off, shall we say.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User

I started doing massage therapy about 18 months after my second ACDF, and have been doing them for a year now - I get a massage every 2 or 3 weeks. I had been on narcotic pain meds for those 18 months and wanted to stop, and felt I needed to try something to help the chronic pain I was (and still) experience.

At the same time I started the massage therapy, I started doing some exercises (I learned from a PT) to strengthen and improve the flexibility of my neck (I am fused C4/5/6/7). A couple of months after starting the massage and exercise, I stopped taking the pain meds.

A year later, I have improved a lot. The massage therapy does not help with my residual nerve pain, but it does help with the pain that comes from neck and shoulder muscles that are always tense. I can't say for sure how much of my improvement is directly attributed to the massage, or the exercise, or the passing of time. When I started the massage, my therapist told me that it would likely be a long term benefit - in my case it was not as simple as just one or two times.

There are so many different types of massage, and differences between the therapists, that it is hard to say for sure what your experience might be. But I feel that massage has helped me. I still have some pain (and probably always will), but I am getting by OK for now. I should probably add that I've also made some life style kind of changes - for example I am working full time but I need to lie down for an hour or two each day after work, to rest and relax those muscles. And I avoid things that I have learned make me feel worse - like minimizing the times I do lengthy airplane trips, and breaking driving trips into shorter segments. Once I get a pain cycle started it can take awhile to get things back under control, so it is better to avoid getting it started.

My experience has been that it takes time to work through all of this, and that not all of us will recover 100%. Keeping a positive outlook and having reasonable expectations helps a lot, but that is sometimes eaiser said, than done.

Good Luck!
    Bob

Old 09-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the replies. I have been reluctant to try again for fear of worse pain. I'll give it a whirl next week!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

Dont get too deep a massage. I just remembered that when I got very deep tissue ones, I would be crippled after. But they actually did help in the long run. Maybe ease into the deep ones.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

Oh I have had the crippler massage before and THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!

The next massage therapist is going to get plenty of instructions !

Old 09-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
    sunshine221
    Veteran
    (female)

sunshine221 HB User

Ask about sacrial cranial massage - its supposed to encourage spinal fluid movement. I get 30 min concentrating on various muscles and 30 min sacrial cranial about every 3 weeks. Can't say it makes a major difference but it feels good.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
    BobM
    (male)

BobM HB User

My massage therapist has been very good to work with - first time we talked a lot about my surgeries and pain I was having, and that first time she was careful (but thorough). We had initially planned for 4 sessions two weeks apart, and then a re eval to see if it was worth continuing (it was). Over the last year she has gradually increased the intensity of each massage, always checking with me to see if the pressure was too much. I have improved a lot and can tolerate a lot deeper massage now - my pain level has improved (not a great deal), but my range of motion is a LOT better, and I don't get muscle cramps as often or as bad. I think a lot of my pain is nerve damage and irritation, so I didn't expect the massage therapy to help that much, but the pain from tense and cramped muscles has seen a significant improvement.

Rough treatment, the first time out, sounds terrible!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:33 AM   #9
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

Julyg, if you have tight knots in the muscle bands and if the massage helps but hurts like heck, you can get trigger point injections around the time of your massage appts. I know someone who does this to allow the therapist the ability to work that area.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

Reply to Sunshine and Neck patient

Sunshine, I had the cranial sacral massage and this was right up there with the looniest thing I have everdone...right up there with "cupping" I honestly thought my head and neck was going to be massaged NOT open wide and massage the roof of my mouth I am actually laughing as I type this!
    And then she wanted to massage thru nostrils! I drew the line there!
    I wonder if your therapist trained in Uplinger institute Palm Beach Gardens FL where they developed this therapy? If it works for anyone I say great but for me ... a bust.

Neck Patient, I actually have done trigger points 2x and had more residual pain after them. One time without ice afterwards and second with.
    Again they work for some but not for me. 2nd time had it done in conjuction with massage.

I have massage appt next wk and in meantime using moist electric heating pad with medium results.

Thank you very much for your replies.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #11
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

yea, i wish i could get massage, but it isn't for me. i am glad it works for some people. however, i do love the ice and heatings pads!

Old 09-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
    SKZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SKZ HB User

July:
    You crack me up. Naturally I have done, the cranial sacral massage, cupping....you name it I have done it. Were you the one who had that post of crazy things you have done??? heh. The only thing I never did try was that stretching machine that costs a fortune. (something 4000). thankGod.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #13
    julyg
    Veteran
    (female)

Yes I am the one!

"stupidist therapy", and I did the $4000 drx machine as well ...

Happy to provide some humor here, God knows we need it!

Closed Thread